|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> First Trip.....FIRE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fire was not in our TT.

Just bought a 2009 Jay Flight 26 BH and took our first trip over this past weekend. Hot and dry weather, fires burning around the state (Utah). We are heavily experienced tent campers and backpackers, but RV'ing is a totally new experience, and we were/are very excited!

I was in a partial hook up site out on the perimeter of the private RV park, a site I chose since the perimeter sites allowed camp fires. I am just getting ready to light our own fire in our designated fire pit when my kids come running up to tell me there is a fire in the camp ground. Well duh I say, this is a camp ground. They say no, its a real fire. I go to take a look, and sure enough some dummy campers nearby let their fire get too big, and now the berm that separates the park from the river is ablaze.

Wife heads to the office to make sure they know, I am heading toward the fire to see if I can help. On my way I realize that this fire is growing and moving very fast. Wind wasnt helping. Halfway to the fire I realize its quickly getting out of control, it will be at a group pavilion very soon, then the playground, and the first trailer site it will hit is... mine.

Headed straight back to the site. Wife is back from the office, FD is on their way. Wife starts mobilizing the kids to load what they can as I start to hitch the trailer, which is sitting too close to the dry brush berm for my comfort. A neighboring camper who also realize we are first in line for the fire came over and began using my hose to wet down the berm as much as possible.

Every time I looked up to check on the fire it was closer than I thought it could have moved. Flames twenty feet high. Holy crap. I havent even spent a night in our new trailer yet, and a wall of flames is descending on us. We will easily be able to walk away unscathed, I am not concerned for our safety, and all property is fully insured. But still! Not gonna let it all just go.

Kids and wife all worked methodically, except the 12 year old daughter -- she was in melt down mode, as though these were the last moments of her life, lol.

Trailer hitched, FD arrives and gets water on the fire. Stopped it maybe 30 yards from our site. Made for true excitement on our first night RV'ing!

Aside from that everything went really well. Couple minor issues with the trailer that are easy to work out. We will likely do at least one more RV park trip before we set out to do some boondocking.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So did you ever get to build your own fire after that?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

BradinOhio

Akron, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that was quite the exciting maiden voyage in your TT! Glad it all turned out ok. I am sure it will be a trip that you always remember.

Brad ('68), Sandy ('71), Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS
'10 Keystone Passport UL 245RB (prior - retired 6/2012)
'07 Rockwood Roo 21SS (prior)

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reminds me of a time we were at the beach for some dune buggy riding. Hot dry and some drunk idiots started a big fire. Beach grass coughs and pretty soon half the camp ground was burning. SIL was in a panic and was actually in the MH had the motor started and was getting ready to pull out. Hoses still hooked up, awning out and all. Think the scene from the movie RV. That was her!

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Of course not! The entire park was fire banned per the fire marshal following this little episode..

The people next to use were very irritated about the fire ban. I like having fires too, but seriously does a camp fire seem even remotely like a good idea right now?

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your close call and glad it turned out ok, but...it's not an exciting camping trip without a trip to the emergency room or...a fire. The park where I am camphosting was full this weekend and there was a young couple in the site next to me. CG is hilly and their four year old was riding his bike around and just tearing down the hills. First two trips Dad was yelling at him to slow down...third trip he wiped out. Nothing that a few bandaids, four hours in the emergency room, and eleven stitches couldn't cure. Oh, and by the way, there is a forest fire on the next mountain ridge over from the CG.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thermocouple wrote:

ScottG wrote:

Of course not! The entire park was fire banned per the fire marshal following this little episode..

The people next to use were very irritated about the fire ban. I like having fires too, but seriously does a camp fire seem even remotely like a good idea right now?

I'm surprised they were allowing camp fires at all.

thermocouple

Lehi, UT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

thermocouple wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I'm surprised they were allowing camp fires at all.

Given the conditions in the area at the time they really shouldnt have been. The other side of the lake was a large fire with over 1,000 evacuated homes, happening while we were camping. High winds, super dry conditions. Ideal situation for bad things to happen with fire. The one I was right about to light was going to be very small, made with trimmings from a local cabinet shop, and would not have burned long.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thermocouple,

Glad to hear that it was controlled before doing any damage.

With the high fire danger in Colorado and Utah at the present, I question why folks in that area of the country would want to have a campfire in the first place. Besides, what fun is a fire when the air is already hot and dry?

Thanks for sharing your story as this may influance others to "think first" before lighting up that fire.

Hope you have many fun miles with your new trailer,

Steve

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

SIL was in a panic and was actually in the MH had the motor started and was getting ready to pull out. Hoses still hooked up, awning out and all. Think the scene from the movie RV. That was her!

The Gornicke's are coming!!

OP - I am glad everything worked out okay and you didn't have to explain burning up your camper on its maiden voyage to the insurance company!

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> First Trip.....FIRE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts