|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Someone else looking for 1st truck camper advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
diver110

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With somewhat different needs than the other poster. I have given some thought to pop-ups, and got some valuable advice from this forum in that regard. But I don't think I am going to have enough of an offroad life to want the trade offs. I don't have the truck yet, but don't want to go beyond a 1 ton, SRW. It will be a 4x4. I may spend several months a year (mostly as the sole occupent) living primarily in the camper, but will not cook much, though I may use a blender some. I will have other shower options, though would not mind using the camper's if that is practical. I will have ready access to water most of the time. I will need AC and a generator. I plan to buy used so I can exit more cheaply if I buy the wrong thing (ditto the truck). I do some yoga, but assume trying to do that in a camper is wishful thinking.

Speaking of trucks, I will probably go with diesel as I probably will haul the camper cross country twice a year. Net I seem to hear the most good things about Chevy's, though I recently talked to a happy owner of a 2011 Ford diesel. He said Ford started making he entire engine in 2011 and that he got 21mpg freeway.

Advice would be gratefully received.

tamaratrav

a

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 07/21/12 01:26am by tamaratrav *

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For every camper you look at, go in the bathroom and sit down to see first if you can close the door and then to see if you have enough room to "do your business." We bought one where the door could not be closed because there wasn't enough room to move the left leg enough to make room for the right. For a while we used it with our right leg sticking out the door. Then we removed the door and put up a curtain.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A camper is an excellent choice for extended travel. Living out of one for a few months shouldn't be a challenge provided you are following the sun. Even time spent in cold climates is doable for short periods of about a week when campgrounds are closed. I like a hard sided camper over a pop-up for various reasons. A 1 ton diesel truck would be my choice. Although a dually gives you more options of campers. I have the venerable 7.3 Ford dually and get a consistent 12.5 to 13 on the road with a 4k Lance.

Personally, I cook my meals on site. That's due to ensuing health issues related to eating out at restaurants 4 to 5 days a week over the past 30 years. But, to each their own. We do what we have to, to ensure a quality of life. Just be sure to match the camper with the right truck and you'll have many happy days of motoring and camping. Good luck.

RVn Full-time

Northernford

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel is the way to go. I have a Bigfoot, northern and love my diesel. Other than a little sway I can't tell they are back there... Even over mountain passes. The northern is about 2800lbs loade and the Bigfoot is about 3200lbs. Love them both. Later on I might get an arctic fox because of the slide.

That arctic has everything you want. 99% come with an air conditioner and most come with a generator. I get about 15mpg hauling 3200lbs and towing a 4000lbs boat. Amazing with the ford 6.7td. All I have done is airbags.

Best combo on the market.

jtlingo123

Snoqualmie, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a new member and a new camper owner. I bought an older camper and I drive a 2004 F250-V10! I actually get really good gas milage and the first time I drove home with the camper after about 30 minutes of white nuckles I forgot the thing was on there. Diesel would be nice but not always an option.

Josh Lingo
Snoqualmie,WA.

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRUGG wrote:

For every camper you look at, go in the bathroom and sit down to see first if you can close the door and then to see if you have enough room to "do your business."...

I could not agree more!

If I may add... sit on the commode with the lid UP. I made this mistake on a previous camper. Don't ask me how I found this problem. I'll just say this: I am 6'3" I fit in the toilet area with about 3" between my knees and the wall in front, but I checked this position fit with the lid closed. Lift the lid and it moves the body forward in order to be (ahem) correctly in "position."

.. but I am sure I invented some new yoga positions in order to deal with my morning constitutional. I know, I know... TMI, but these are very real TC concerns.

My camper was fro sale after owning it for only 6 months.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

diver110

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/12 12:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tamaratrav wrote:

"But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on"

I wish. Actually, frozen berries, broccoli, carrot juice, coconut oil, and protein powder. Did I mention I was a health nut? It is genetic, inherited from my mother. Which reminds me. Do camper fridges have freezers that work?

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like my hardsided Bigfoot camper and Chevy diesel 1 ton SRW 4x4. Combined weight at scales 12,000 lbs. Camper wet weight about 3700 lbs.

I been it for a month now and everythng is fine. Solid unit.

Don't forget about payload (my opinion look at a Ford or Chevy)

Paul

MKish

SF

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will have to do the yoga outside or maybe on the roof. You might want a good awning for this.

We have the 2012 F350 diesel (SRW 4WD crew cab shortbed) and it does get pretty good mileage, around 22 at highway speeds (with no camper of course).

We got an 8 foot popup since there are only 4 of us and a dog.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Someone else looking for 1st truck camper advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS