|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fulltime MH is it different

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
wanderer69

Ft Worth, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/12 10:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still not decided on 5er or MH. Have found that not all 5er are created equal, that if I am going to be fulltiming that I really need to be looking at only certain ones that can stand up to constant use. Which equals to more weight and more money. Does the same thing hold true for a DP MH?

Looked at a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X 21K miles, 350hp Cummins, 6spd Allison, Onan 8k. Seem like a really nice unit and the price would actually be less than the 5er and dually I looked at. Would probably have to get an extended warranty.

Has anyone had experience with this model (pros and cons) or do I need to be looking at something else?

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind with a Class A or C you'll need to tow a car behind you for transportation at your destination once you park and set up the RV.

With a Truck/Trailer/5er you have a built in TOAD! If the truck has to be serviced or repaired..you can still live in the trailer.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we have been full timing for three years now. Here's my take...YMMV....we had a 40' Dynasty, no slides...just the two of us. Thought it would be big enough and roomy enough...wrong!..and Debi and I get along very well....got the Exec and we are now happy campers.........full timing is different than part timing in that there is no escape from each other if you're in too small a coach. Debi likes to watch certain shows on TV..I am a non TV type person. So when she's watching TV, I can go in the bedroom and work on the computer or read. Our rig is big enough so one does not interfere with the other. We both have our own "space" to do our individual things....we don't eat out very often as Debi loves to cook and we take several long walks every evening....just my perspective.. it works well for us but full timing is not for everyone....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/12 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same set up. We no longer full-time but spend 8 months on more on the go. Our 40x has given us no major problems. There is plenty of storage. We really like the center livlng area. We have the cadenza and freestanding table rather than the booth. Without nit picking I have no complaints, service from everyone has been great and this will probably will be or last rig. We did get an extended warranty. This year we started in Phoenix to Las Vegas the Grand Circle we are now in Seattle. From here it is Boise, Branson, Montgomery, the rally in Daytona, Key West, then to Arizona. So you see it gets used and why the warranty. Fuel milage is a strong 8.5 to 9. Any questions....

I'd be glad to answer

We're in Arizona

whem2fish

alvarado texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i fulltimed 4 years ago due to divorce in a 28 ft class a it didnt seem too bad better than the street that said i still have the class a but i have a 30 foot pull behind with 2 slides lots more room

Just Bob

SD/CT/FL/WY

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderer69 wrote:

Still not decided on 5er or MH. Have found that not all 5er are created equal, that if I am going to be fulltiming that I really need to be looking at only certain ones that can stand up to constant use. Which equals to more weight and more money. Does the same thing hold true for a DP MH?

Looked at a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X 21K miles, 350hp Cummins, 6spd Allison, Onan 8k. Seem like a really nice unit and the price would actually be less than the 5er and dually I looked at. Would probably have to get an extended warranty.

Has anyone had experience with this model (pros and cons) or do I need to be looking at something else?
Price on the Fleetwood???

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy the Discovery. Check out Discovery Owners for a lot of support with any problem or question.

I have been full time in my D for 10 years now.

Download a 2008 Discovery Brochure Here

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
Banks Powerpack
DataStorm SatMax5 | VMSpc | Pressure Pro
08 HHR LT2

Click here to see where I am

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, there are MH's that are built more like a 5er where everything is chip/partical board, put together with staples, and a rubber roof. Most manufactures make several models with some cheap and some better built. You get what you pay for. I would not be afraid of buying a 5+ year old upperend DP as it's a buyer's market in used rigs.
I'll put what Dennis said a different way: Twice the husband, on 1/2 the income, in 1/10th the space will test any marriage. I learned the hard way ($$$$) that you should buy more RV than you think you need...ONE TIME!
For fulltime, CCC is king. Since you are new here (and welcome) Cargo Carrying Capacity is how much stuff you can put in with full fuel, people, and water (plus a few other things) already in the MH.
Why a MH? Most on here will agree that a MH is the nicest way to fulltime and the most expensive if you are not careful. No way would I go back to a 5er, others will disagree. I look at towing a car as a plus because I put more miles on it and it gets 3X the MPG. You need to test drive and park a one ton dually long bed before deciding to go with a 5er. Yes, I'm biased towards a DP.
The 2008 Fleetwood Discovery looks like a nice rig but my concern is that it uses a Cummins ISB engine which is a great LITTLE engine without much torque (750 ftlbs) for a 350 HP engine. Most 350's will have 1,000. With a GCWR of 31,000 and add a 4,000 lb toad, 750 is on the low side. I'd want to see the CCC sticker that should be behind a cabinet door. Some say you can get by with 3,000 lbs of CCC but we part time and use 6,000 lbs.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Valkyriebush

Yuma, Az/Chimacum, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I full timed in my Excursion for five years and loved it. Some one mentioned a 5th wheel gives you a vehicle to drive around in already, but the trade off is fuel consumption when you get to where your going versus a tow vehicle behind your class A and set up. If your gonna sit in point a and b for awhile maybe a 5th wheel is better, they seem more residential. If your gonna roll, I would go with the Discovery. I would consider getting a GS CSP policy.

* This post was edited 07/02/12 02:14pm by Valkyriebush *

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

bhivetravels

Chattanooga

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diving down the road we make coffee. Driving don the road we can use the potty. Driving down the road one of us can take a nap. Driving down the road if I have engine problems I always have the car. Driving down the road we can move around, adjust, even one of us can watch TV. With three slides when we park and tons of under body storage, the Class A was the only real choice.

Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. -- High School Teacher Ret.
2007 Coachman Epic - 05 Honda Element
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fulltime MH is it different
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: