RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Does your Trail Air look like this?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Does your Trail Air look like this?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atfulldraw wrote:

NorthernLimits wrote:

I don't think you are supposed to have full air in it unloaded.

So are you supposed to deflate it every time you detach, and inflate it every time you hookup?

It looks about the same when loaded, just worse.

That's what they told me.

Not like it's a huge deal. I inflate when I inflate the air bags on the truck. I deflate them every time I detach also. Takes all of what? 2 minutes or less.

Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/12 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck hope you find out what is wrong or if theres anything wrong. That is my next pin box. So will be keeping an eye on this thread.
Pete

2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller, With a Evinrude 90 HP E-Tec
Live near Pickwick Dam and the Tn river

hook47

Olympic Peninsula, WA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NothernLights, who are "they" that told you to defalte the airbag? A quick check of the Lippert site FAQ's reveals:

FAQ wrote:

Q. How do I hook and unhook from my truck?

A. When hooking and unhooking, the main thing to keep in mind is to not over compensate for the oscillation of the lower jaw. You should hook and unhook without changing the air in the air spring. When unhooking from the trailer you can avoid "high pinning" by raising your coach just enough to take most of the weight off of the truck (even though the lower jaw is pushing down, you can take most of the weight off the truck). A good indicator of when the weight is off the truck is when the king pin plate on the lower jaw of the Trailair air ride pin box is parallel to the ground. At that point, then unlock the fifth wheel hitch and pull out. Sometimes you have to "pop" the jaws of your fifth wheel loose if they are in a bind by putting your truck in forward or reverse and stepping on the brake just enough to dislodge the jaw mechanism in your fifth wheel hitch. Be careful to not damage your landing gear on your coach.

When you reconnect the truck to the fifth wheel, the lower jaw will be down approximately 1 1/2" in the front. The Trailair lower jaw is built with a front lip that will allow your fifth wheel to push against it as you back the truck under the trailer. Simply line up the pin and back under the trailer, the truck will push the lower jaw out of the way and the king pin will snap into the fifth wheel. Be sure to lock your fifth wheel and attach your safety brake cable as well as connect your electrical cable before you travel.

Lots of good info when you go to the manufacture's website...Then you don't have to wait for someone to respond to you.

2008 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 4X4 CC / Banks IQ with Speedbrake & Economind tuner /2013 38RESB3...I know, the TV color doesn't match the MS!

JohnBoyToo

DFW, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/12 12:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now you've got me ready to call them again as mine is just like yours and the point about the wear on the bags is a good point !!!!

atfulldraw

Texas is home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/12 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They aren't setting any land speed records.....typical Lippert.

Quote:

From Don Parker

Jul 9 (8 days ago)

to me, SW039

Rod with the pictures you sent I don't see a issue with the air bag

I instantly emailed him back with the name of the RV service manager who said that it wasn't right, and asked that it be sent to someone that could help me.

so far, just the sound of crickets.....

Yesterday, I took the photos to another RV dealer near me here in Utah, the service manager there went out on the lot and aired up a trail air past the maximum capacity. It doesn't look like mine, nor did any of the other forty trail air pin boxes on the lot I guess Lippert either thinks I will go away or forget about it till it breaks out of warranty.

They have no idea just how wrong they are.....

2013 Voltage 3905
2012 Ford 350 King Ranch DRW 4x4
3 Lacy Dogs, Kayaks, Polaris Ranger, Fly rods, kitchen sink

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 01:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hook47 wrote:

NothernLights, who are "they" that told you to defalte the airbag? A quick check of the Lippert site FAQ's reveals:

Ultra-Fab

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is normal, If you had a single bellow airbag, it would look like the ads, but the double bellows (I have the same) the middle of the bag will spit out twards the front of the hitch.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

atfulldraw

Texas is home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just.....wow.

the latest from Lippert.....

Quote:

The amount of air will not affect the angle of the bottom plate. The plate is set at how the pin box is installed. The air in the bag can be from 20 psi to 120 psi. This most likely looks like overinflating

at setup. The pin box needs to be maintained at the predetermined ride height which the OEM sets. It is more important to maintain the ride height than the psi.

With the truck and trailer coupled, at rest on level ground, you should have enough air in the bag to open the jaw to a point that the bottom lip of the top shroud on the shock is even with the arrows on the decal

that is attached to the lower body of the shock.

The plate is part of the pin itself and does not move unless it has been altered. We don’t see anything wrong with the pin box itself from the photos supplied.

It sure sounds like they are trying to tell me that the angle of the bottom plate doesn't change, regardless of how much air is in the bag....

abc40kids

Dale City,Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine never looks like that..... hooked up or not!

Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey,Dexter(Golden),Bruno(Pug)
Forest River Cardinal 362bhs 2006
2005 Chevy duramax dually 4x4 crew cab,Ultra Goliath wheels with Nitto Dura Grapplers and Banks exhaust.

ibycus

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have one, but sure doesn't seem right to me.. the whole concept behind the physics of the hitch is to promote vertical pressure between the trailer and the tv... when it's popping the air bag out like it is, it's obviously an angled pressure and that's not getting maximum efficiency out of the design..

if it's intended to work like that, it's a dumb design(which I highly doubt)...

for those that think it's supposed to work like that, I would seriously question the design team as to their logic... from a scientific perspective, it makes no sense at all...

2013 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel
2007 Puma 28BHS
Superglide 4400

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Does your Trail Air look like this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts