|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> House battery in a RT 170

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mmckell

Central Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Roadtrek 170 with one house battery. The batteries have been lasting 2 years. Is this average or short? I do keep it plugged in during the hot summer so I can run the vent fan. Does RT put in a regulator so that the house battery doesn't overcharge or is it something you need to add (and what is it that would be added)?

SkipJ

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't speak for RT, but most rv's have basic chargers the will overcharge your house battery.
SkipJ

1992 Airstream B-190 van
1989 Airstream 25' Excella Trailer
Outfitter Apex 9.5 Truck Camper Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/12 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on what battery you are using. If you are using a marine deep discharge battery that has a 18 month warranty, they will last two years... if you use a good size truck battery that has a six year warranty and don't drain it hardly ever, it will last six years.

What are you using?

Mike and Carole
2007 Snowbird 9'6" Super Slide
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2000 F350 7.3 SC 4X4
previously 8'10" Snowbird Camper
2006 Triple E Regency 27 foot SXL SOLD!

MAU MAU

New Hampshire and Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my two (2) house batteries with Lifeline 31's which are charged by a three stage unit.

Roadtrek 170 Popular

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure RT went to a good 3-stage charger before 2007. It may be that you're drawing the battery too far down too often. Or it may be not checking/adding water often enough. Or it may be just luck of the draw having given you a string of bad batteries.

I'm not sure yours works this way, but IIRC on my earlier RT's the charger could be disconnected from the battery by switching the 'battery' switch to Off _before_ plugging in to shore power. If you switch it off after, it doesn't do any good. Your RT owner's manual should have some info on this.

Jim, "First you catch a jellyfish. Then you catch a peanut butter fish..... "

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

vantastic1

abq

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked into AGM batteries?!? Not only are they maintenance free, but you will have an increased battery capacity(nearly double). Yes, they are more expensive, but typically the warranty period is longer and again they are maintenance free.

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vantastic1 wrote:

Have you looked into AGM batteries?!? Not only are they maintenance free, but you will have an increased battery capacity(nearly double). Yes, they are more expensive, but typically the warranty period is longer and again they are maintenance free.

What AGM batteries are you referring to? Double what wet cells have? I have never found an AGM that even has as much capacity as some of the true deep cycle wet cells like Trojans. The advantage of AGMs is maintenance free and rapid charging, not cost or capacity.

vantastic1

abq

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

booster wrote:

vantastic1 wrote:

What AGM batteries are you referring to? Double what wet cells have? I have never found an AGM that even has as much capacity as some of the true deep cycle wet cells like Trojans. The advantage of AGMs is maintenance free and rapid charging, not cost or capacity.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#3

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vantastic1 wrote:

booster wrote:

vantastic1 wrote:

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#3

I don't see anything about them being higher capacity on there, what did I miss?

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't bother reading the link, but I agree with booster.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> House battery in a RT 170
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS