RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Water Pump is going backwards...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water Pump is going backwards...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
KyleKoehler

Springfield

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I unwinterized my camper this spring and used the city water intake to flush everything. I fill my fresh water tank and added a little chlorine to clean it out and then drain it.

When I went to use the fresh water tank for the first time... I filled the tank and turned on the pump. The pump started running and wouldn't stop. Finally I realized I hear water running and went outside to find the water flowing out of the fill-up spout on the outside to the camper.

Again the system works fine with not leaks using city water and it doesn't leak using the pump... IT JUST PUMPS BACKWARDS!!!

Any tips... I have a new water pump being shipped my way. It is a 1997 RV in very good shape with a shurflo pump.

Any info before it gets here would be great.

Kyle

1997 Jayco 28301B Class C
Carrying...Me, My Wife, and Five kids (9,11,13,15,17)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your wiring to make sure you haven't got the + and - reversed. Just a thought.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Check your wiring to make sure you haven't got the + and - reversed. Just a thought.

that was my first thought as well but if the pump wasn't removed and then reinstalled i don't see how that can be.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Raking leaves....mother nature's way of getting you in shape to shovel snow!

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

100ton

Huntington Beach, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA14Jim wrote:

Some how you dislodged the city water check valve at your hose hookup fitting. If you put a plug in that connection you will find your pump is just fine. You may be able to reset the check valve with your finger as long as there is no pressure on the system. Hope this helps, Jim

This was my thought as well. Well, it looks like your possibly going to have a reserve water pump in stock now. This will make you or some other RV'r a very happy camper one day.

Robert

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it coming out the City connection? There is a check valve there that might be stuck open allowing the pumped water to escape.

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

PA14Jim

Sterling, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some how you dislodged the city water check valve at your hose hookup fitting. If you put a plug in that connection you will find your pump is just fine. You may be able to reset the check valve with your finger as long as there is no pressure on the system. Hope this helps, Jim

Jim
02 Travelaire Gensis
03 GMC Duramax

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably a combination of problems. Reverse polarity on the battery bank for starters, plugged vent pipe on the FW tank, for another. Probably get by with the plugged vent pipe but may have blown the reverse polarity fuses MOST converters have when wired backwards and they'll need to be replaced. You should also note that the slide room works in reverse order (push out and get in) and your stereo may not work at all. Lighting would be unaffected and often the fridge will not work because the control board is powered backwards. Always mark your battery leads or remember that white is usually the ground wire.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

trickyvic3

Raymond NH.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

100ton wrote:

PA14Jim wrote:

This was my thought as well. Well, it looks like your possibly going to have a reserve water pump in stock now. This will make you or some other RV'r a very happy camper one day.

Robert

X-3
I almost guaranty you that's your problem.

Dr Quick

M'boro, Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of RV'rs have winterized their system with RV antifreeze, then to be extra sure that all the plumbing was winterized, they pushed in on the check valve at the city water connection. This will dislodge the check valve if it is under pressure, and when the pump is turned on the next time, water sill shoot out. I did the same thing. Had to take the valve out, but I was able to figure out how to reset the washer in the valve to correct the problem, rather then replacing the valve.

Dr Quick

LScamper

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a cap on the water inlet, problem solved.

Lou

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water Pump is going backwards...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS