|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Flatscreen TV install example

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
atlantiswoman

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/12 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My HR Atlantis came with two TVs framed and mounted nicely in the cabinetry. After spending a few weeks looking at various flatscreen installations on the internet and differnt mounting options, I decided to give it a try myself. In doing so, I wanted to remove the TVs but preserve the cabinetry as much as possible.

First, what flatscreen TVs to use? In looking, I knew I had 110 power at each TV, but one problem is the kids want to change the DVDs and they cannot reach the DVD player which is located above the door. So I looked at the idea of the DVD built in; this ended up a problem because most of the DVD doors were behind the TV screen which would be installed in the frame.

Most everything I read said to look for a TV with front facing controls and reasonably priced, so I settled on a Magnavox 19" Class 720p 60Hz LED TV - Black (19ME402V) from Target for $149 with a $17 2 year agreement (figured this was a good idea in the RV) for the rear replacement. Below the TV, I installed a small Sony Blu-Ray Disc Player - Black (BDP-S185)which fits nicely under the TV.

I pulled two screws out and discovered that attached to the TV is a plywood mounting plate. Using two L brackets to mount the TV on the mounting plate and mounting it to allow enough clearance for the DVD player to sit underneath.

On the front TV, after shopping around, the Philips 32" LED (32PFL4507/F7) from Costco fit the requirements. Just to boost the sound, the Philips soundbar and subwoofer did the trick. The subwoofer sits underneath the dining seat since it is non-directional sound.

Now, were to install the TV? There were a number of different ideas including leaving the existing TV cabinetry, but a 32" would not fit in that space easily. In addition, wanted to free up space by the bunk.

So I opted to build a cabinet using the existing cabinet and center it above the window so even from the bunk it would be visible. Taking the existing cabinets out...

Once the tearout was complete, I made a template to ensure everything fit into place before cutting the existing cabinet.

With that was complete, the existing cabinet was measured and cut.

From there, installed the new (old) cabinet back in place.

The existing two door cabinet was cut in half and mounted on each side of the TV cabinet.

In addition, we bought a Western Digital TV Live (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330) and using the Android hotspot tethering we were able to watch Netflix, stream Spotify and watch home movies on our trip.

I'm posting this for anyone else who takes on this project. Good luck - it was worth it

* This post was edited 07/23/12 11:48pm by atlantiswoman *

ch-ta

MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you did an excellent job. You won't miss the old tv's!

2014 Bridgeview BV-40CK2BH (Park Model)

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Real nice cabinetry work, look's great.

Another forum member attached a flat screen by adding a piano hinge to that last cabinet closest to the cabover and hung his flat screen there so you could swing it out to watch and swing it back when not in use which left more space in the cabover. That was a good install too.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! I'm impressed. Great job. Looks very professional.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

very nice! Just a thought I've had as I see this and other retro-fitting flatscreens into cabinets. Has anyone considered mounting the tv to a beefed up door or use the tv as a cabinet door, in order to use the cabinet space behind it?

'97 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work, enjoy your flatscreens.

AO_hitech

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VERY nice installation. I don't think I'd be brave enough to split an existing cabinet in two. And I don't think the DW would let me!

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a nice switch.

IMHO: it's always best to have a separate DVD player. If a built-in one goes out, you have to take TV out for repairs.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Olddud

Lost in Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You is a real pro. Very nice.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well done!

Inexpensive LCD screens are the best solution because if it breaks (an RV that bounces around a lot is hard on them).... just get another one!

I'd pay a slight premium for LED back light, though.

Great job!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Flatscreen TV install example
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS