RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: South Dakota residence and on-line tax

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> South Dakota residence and on-line tax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 12:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "new" on-line tax has me confussed. I understand it is called
South Dakota law (SB 146) enacted in April 2011.
If you are a South Dakota Resident do you have to pay it regardless. If you're ordering something on-line and let's say you're in AZ at the time, do you have to still pay?
Just wondering. I thought I had my research done on which state we were going to reside in but maybe not. Any info would be helpful. Tried looking it up on their state web site and got even more confussed.

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way I understand SB 146, it doesn't require the collection of sales tax from the consumer just that the retailer give the consumer notice that they may owe SD a use tax on the purchase. The use tax has been in effect in SD and most other states for quite some time but the consumers generally ignore it. SB 146 simply states that the retailer must post notice on the web site and the invoice that they may owe the use tax. This way the consumer cannot plead ignorance to the law requiring a use tax. If you are having items sent to a SD mailing address, IMHO, that would make it subject to use tax as it has always been.

I also believe that SD will have a tough time forcing retailers without a Nexus in the state to obey this law since there is really little recourse for the state if the retailer refuses.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On Illinois I1040 you are assumed to have purchased online or mail order, (does anyone do that anymore?) and MUST enter an amount on that line, either actual number or a percentage of AGI.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we order online, they charge us sales tax only in the state we're having it delivered to. #5 looks like the same practice. They would charge us tax even as a non-resident if we had it sent to SD. The law is for companies (online auctions) that are exempt because their SD sales are so low and aren't required to collect sales tax. They must provide an electronic notice or attach it to the invoice. Than #4 applies and you fill out a sales tax form and pay directly to the state tax collector.

From SB146: (5) "South Dakota purchaser," any purchaser that purchases tangible personal property, services, or products transferred electronically to be shipped or transferred to South Dakota.

(4) The state requires each South Dakota purchaser to report any purchase that was not taxed and pay tax on the purchase. The tax may be reported and paid on the South Dakota use tax form; and...

disclaimer: I am not an attorney nor do I ever pretend to be...

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

stellas_keeper

Saint Charles, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you buy products online, most states require you to pay state taxes for it. It does NOT matter if the online dealer collects it, you owe it.

With how hungry and money starved states are, I would pay taxes on stuff you buy. The stomach lining lost durring an audit is not worth it.

Plus... It is what you are supposed to do. Why is that so hard in todays world.

trailertraveler

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

...If you are a South Dakota Resident do you have to pay it regardless. If you're ordering something on-line and let's say you're in AZ at the time, do you have to still pay?...

Generally you owe your state of residence use tax on items purchased out of state when you bring them back into your home state. All that I have investigated give credit for any amount of sales tax paid in the state of purchase.

This is from the South Dakota website: "South Dakota will grant credit for sales tax that was correctly** paid to another state up to the amount you would owe in South Dakota. If you make a purchase in another state and are charged a sales tax rate equal to your rate in South Dakota, no South Dakota use tax would be due. If you make a purchase in another state and are charged a rate that is less than your rate in South Dakota, you will owe South Dakota the difference in use tax."

So in your example, AZ has a 6.6% state sales tax plus any local sales tax. Since South Dakota's sales rate is 4% plus a max of 2% local, if you paid the AZ tax you would owe no SD use tax even if you bring the item into SD.

Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

JC2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stellas_keeper wrote:

If you buy products online, most states require you to pay state taxes for it. It does NOT matter if the online dealer collects it, you owe it.

With how hungry and money starved states are, I would pay taxes on stuff you buy. The stomach lining lost durring an audit is not worth it.

Plus... It is what you are supposed to do. Why is that so hard in todays world.

You are correct but unfortunately integrity and morals seemed to be lacking some people.

2004 Newmar DSDP 4015,Cummins ISL 370hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2008 Saturn Vue FWD Towed,FMCA #402879

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Tn, unless something has changed you are expected to pay sales tax on everything you buy anywhere, if a Resident. Of course no one does. It would be impossible to track and collect. Some more expensive items are somehow supposed to be reported to the state if you buy in other states by the seller.
Won't be long before the computer networks will be put to use doing this just like the stalled or perhaps killed federal required 1099s for every dime you pay or are paid for just about everything.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> South Dakota residence and on-line tax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS