|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dexter EZ lube

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would anyone say that this particular setup takes place of handpacking bearings? I know we have discussed it before but that was another brand of axle. I didnt know if the way dexter manufactires their hubs was in some way different allowing the grease to really lube everything. This video makes it look like it works. see what you think

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins H.O 4x4 3.73 rear end
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the hollow spindle the old grease is flushed, the video does a good job of showing this. But it's no substitute for a manual repack that allows you to inspect the bearings, races, and brakes for wear.

It is a good system for boat trailers where the wheels are immersed in water. When a hot hub hits the cold water it tends to suck water into the bearings. Greasing the bearings flushes the water and contaminated grease out.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab
Just DW & me......

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest problem I've seen with EZ Lube is people tend to over lube their axles. If there is no signs of leaking then grease has no place to go and lubing should be a very occasional thing but many who use them routinely pump more and more grease into them for no apparent reason and end up greasing their brakes. It also tends to be a detriment to inspection of the brakes (usually done at the same time as hand lubing). With those issues in mind, if a person is NOT prone to either then there is nothing wrong with them.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dealer friend hates the EZ Lube axles because of the problems mentioned above. But on the other hand he makes good money fixing peoples mistakes by replacing brake shoes and blown grease seals.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

michael8rc

Here

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this set up on my current RV. I have greased the hubs three summers in a row with no problems.

1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall you're supposed to pump in grease until you see grease just starting to come out of the outer bearing, and then STOP. Having said that, I'm afraid to pump in any grease because of the numerous tales here and on other sites about pushing the grease past the seal and on the shoes. I think I'll try to do the foregoing on one wheel next spring, and see what happens, and I'll manually repack the other three wheels until I'm confident the EZ Lube works as advertised.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lube mine per the Dexter directions and have had no problems. It is important to pump SLOWLY and keep the wheel turning all the time you are pumping. That will keep the grease moving and not build up pressure on the rear seal. It has to move thru the rear bearing, across the middle cavity, and out thru the front bearing.
Per the directions, I pumped grease in mine until I could see new grease coming out the front. That means there was a lot of old grease came out first before the new stuff started coming out. The grease I used was dark red (one of the ones Dexter recommends) and the old was dark grey. So it was pretty easy to see when the old was out and replaced by the new.

6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still plan on doing a visual inspection but thought this seemed like a little cheap insurance if I got some new grease in before making some long trips. I dont know if condensation can get in the hubs or not but if so the new grease could push out that moisture maybe?

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have worked for me 20 some years. Most of the bearing/brake problems mentioned here at rvnet, are either self inflected or caused by professionals paid to do the work. Safe traveling.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like them.
I am on my third year with them, and I just follow the instructions.
It is impossible to over pack them, since as soon as you see the old grease being forced out, you just stop pumping more in.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Dexter EZ lube
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: