|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> diesel in new trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
swallow

victoria b.c.

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 dodge and it is getting old for mexico the last thing \i want is a trany problam in mexico it has 160000 km .I hear the new chev is no good untill ultra low sulfer is avalable.Will the 2010 dodge or chev work or will it plug up the exaust.So I thought I would ask others that have been there.thanks

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 48re transmission in your RAM is considered bulletproof. With only 100,000 miles I think you have no need for concern UNLESS you are experiencing problems.
I have 150,000 miles on mine about half towing a 15,000 lb 5er all over the US and Canada and never give the tranny a second thought other than maintenance.

Of course if you don't have or use a tranny temp gauge, and you overheat the tranny, all bets are off.

Sidney

* This post was edited 08/01/12 11:37am by SidKaye *

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rebuild your tranny before going......cheaper and you've already got a great truck.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

slopeoft

denver

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with biscuit. I have an LMM, great truck and motor/tranny combo. You want full bullet proof, stage 2 from ATS should do the job. 6k for new tranny or 35k+ for a good Duramax with low miles. You have a good motor, the 5.9 is a great diesel motor. Just replace that trans and ur golden.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rather lose a tranny, or for that matter, have any major vehicle problem in Mexico than in the US or Canada......You will get good repairs in Mexico and at a much better price, than anywhere in the US or Canada.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am puzzled by recommendations to rebuild a perfectly good tranny.

Why fix something that isn't broke??? Why?? Someone help me understand...Please

A rebuilt tranny from anyone can also have problems and the warranty in Mexico will be worthless.

Is you tranny having problems??

Sidney

dkilley

Delta, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ultra Low sulfur is hard to find, but they do have some stations there. Depends on where your going and if perhaps you can take some spare fuel with you. I drive a motor home that need ULS and have used the regular diesel fuel, but I would not really do that with a pick up truck. I have had no problems at all, but they tell me it takes about 10 tanks of fuel to do any damage to the catalytic converter.
Problem is to know if stations have ULS along your route and I do not know of any place to go and find out. Last year I made note of one station that showed it had ULS and when I went there this spring, the sign was gone and I managed to find out they stopped selling it, so took the sign down.

New RV on the way....

stanbnv

Fallon NV, La PeƱita de Jaltemba, Nay.

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have the right truck for Mexico. The 2007 models with the new 6 point something Cummins require ULSD, that is, diesel under 15 ppm sulfer. I've heard that some stations close to the border do have it, but haven't paid much attention. I do know several people that have newer trucks and the only problem they have experienced is their re-gen happens more often. On of our friends last year had a new Chevvy and his major problem was getting the additive that the Ford and Chevvy require in the newest trucks. As far as your tranny, I can't tell you as I have the 6sp manual, but I've heard that somewhere in the mid 2000's Dodge switched trannys and the newer one is supposedly as bullet proof as the allison.

Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
04 Laredo 29GS
06 Arctic Fox 245N
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidKaye wrote:

I am puzzled by recommendations to rebuild a perfectly good tranny.

Why fix something that isn't broke??? Why?? Someone help me understand...Please

A rebuilt tranny from anyone can also have problems and the warranty in Mexico will be worthless.

Is you tranny having problems??

Sidney

That's what I was thinking. However a new truck is a wonderful thing!

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C

swallow

victoria b.c.

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no I have not had problams with my trans I do not have a temp gauge .But even driving it easy I wounder with all the topes ,toll boths there is a lot of stop and go driving that is hard on the trans and drive train.I also have a slide in camper for weekend trips and a dually would work better because I seem to be right on the gvw max or over.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> diesel in new trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS