RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: I was right...bought a SRW.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I was right...bought a SRW.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:

We keep our speed at 57-60 MPH always on the open road as speed kills and quicker when driving heavily loaded rig.

Definately so. I always wonder what a full blown panic stop and manuver from 75 mph would feel like with a high CG 4,000 lb camper in the bed.

Never found out because we generally drove the SRW in the low 60's and maintaned a very large safety margin between us and the vehicle ahead.

With the DRW and strong electric brakes on two trailer axles, I quickly found myself driving faster than I normally would have with the SRW. My fuel mileage has suffered accordingly.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A SRW is fine for me. 4k# plus Lance 981. Airbags, Swaystops, Ranchos. I do lots of beach 4x4ing and a DRW wouldnt cut it. Plus I only need to buy 4 tires not 6
I've added a cargo trailer with toys but havent hauled it on a long trip yet. Hopefully Im still happy.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wintersun wrote:

Every time I pull into a normal parking space at a store I am reminded why I bought a SRW truck. I would need at least 3 spaces to park a DRW truck anywhere that I shop and in most of the places parking on the street is not an option. With a DRW I would have the camper permanently mounted and the truck would be 100% dedicated to RV use and stored between trips at a public storage yard.

I can see where the DRW is a need to have but not where it is a nice to have type of truck. At the point where I needed a DRW for hauling I would just as soon get a used 2-ton like a Freightliner M2 or Pete 335 and have much better braking with a heavy load and have the stronger transmission and axles.

Any truck is a compromise of one sort or another and big is not automatically better - especially if you want to eat or shop or stay at places other than truck stops.

I knew I wanted a smaller SRW truck and worked within its limitations and got a smaller and lighter camper to keep the payload under 4,000 pounds. This was not all that difficult and the only thing lost was not having a dry bath which is trivial.

Having the camper at my house and off the truck made it available for my brother's two children for sleeping when they visited us last month. With a DRW truck with its attached camper parked at a public storage facility that would not have been an option.

Don't take this the wrong way, as it's not meant to be a jab, but I think one might want to practice in the real world with a DRW truck before assuming they're any more of a challenge to drive or park than a SRW version of the same truck.

I converted my truck into a Dually, and still park it in the same exact fashion as I did when she was a SRW in the exact same places without having to use any more parking spaces than before, the truck still fits in a single parking spot and my fenders are wider than the stock DRW version.

I also haven't got a clue what having 2 extra tires on the rear would change unloading your camper at your house. Other than adding a set of swing out brackets to the front jacks, she loads and unloads exactly the same.

The only thing I can guess where you might have an issue is because you bought a home in an HOA where they do not allow DRW vehicles as they're considered commercial, at which point.... well that's yer own fault .

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

how many people out there bought a SRW to haul a TC and are happy with it?

One more.

Cal

2BLAZERS

KEIZER, OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popcorn is ready This will get good!

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4*4 Black dually Laramie 4.10 gears
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP EPS w/stuff
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/stuff
1977 K5 Blazer 1 ton modified
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (her car)

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seems to be an ongoing srw vs dwr posts on here,my dually serves me well for my 915 lance as its heavy loaded with water,propane and beer when we head out.However,its a 1995 silverado,i think a new silverado 1 ton srw may be able to out haul it,not sure.All i can say is a dually can be an inconvenience,ie.,parking far from safeway,but i dont take up two spots and i dont mind walking the extra distance.I just like duallys,but i sure wish i could afford a new truck,lol,srw or dually but i would prefer a new silverado dually,stability...

1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went with a dually.......that way it doesnt matter what TC I buy now OR in the future.

Are they more stable....WITHOUT A DOUBT, do they ride worse.....if you leave 80psi in the tires when unloaded YES. Are they harder to park.....NO, they are however wider and tend to upset people when parked in the front spots. But....then again with a TC on any truck you are JUST AS WIDE AS A DUALLY!!!

DUALLY'S FOREVER

* This post was edited 08/06/12 06:36pm by mountainkowboy *

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Hanna...R.I.P. Dixie we miss you
88 Ford F250-94 Alpenlite 29RK DL
96 Kawi Voyager XII 89K and climbing
71 VW Cabriolet-German Look

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki,

Had 3 DRW 1 tons and know very well the width/parking/constant rough ride/etc issues that come with them. Might be a little more stable but far from earth shattering differences. Set up properly with the right make of truck, we'll take a SRW pickup with a camper on it anytime over a DRW.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

msiminoff

Silicon Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched from a DRW to SRW... I couldn't be happier owning my "little" one ton truck.
Done right SRW is just as stable as duals, more capable off the highway, better traction in snow & ice... and I still have plenty of safety margin in the tire load rating.

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins, Goerend Trans, Vision 19.5 w/XDE's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Thuren trackbar, RS9000XL/MyRide

noxinnhoj

vancouver

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here we go again,love my wide hips

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I was right...bought a SRW.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers