|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> How to get handicapped plackert copied or registered

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sandy26289

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis and Atrial Fib. Some days are good, others she has limited mobility and heart problems. I was reading somewhere and can't remember to get her handicapped hanging tag copied or registered or something to prove her doctor's diagnosis of limited mobility. Does anyone know anything about this? We leave on a trip in Sept. Sandy

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dr. must fill out state form here that goes to department of licensing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does she have a handicap placard, or do you need to get one or what? The doctor will give you the paperwork to take to the DMV and they will give you the card with proof of why you need it.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Above are correct for Colorado. It is ILLEGAL here to use a copy. If you lose the one given to you by the DMV, you must get a new one from them.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Yellowboat.

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Dr. must fill out state form here that goes to department of licensing.

I too am from Washington State. Each state is different but as enblethen says (In Washington) your wife's doctor must fill out a form. You take the form to the Department of Motor Vehicles and they issue the placards or special license plate. In Washington State you are allowed two placards.

Safe Travels.

JD

2005 Winnebago Sightseer on a 2006 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Mac our Pom
JD & Kathy

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck&Gail wrote:

Above are correct for Colorado. It is ILLEGAL here to use a copy. If you lose the one given to you by the DMV, you must get a new one from them.

Althought this is true for most states, true in California, I have made a color photocopy shruck to wallet size with the placard on the front and the documentation on the back. I also have a full size photocopy in the glove compartment of every car.

I have used the copy when requesting special services, like not having to stand in long lines, even at the airport. If I need to use a designated parking spot and I don't have my placard I have left the copy on the dash in clear sight. To date, for the last 5 years, I have not had a problem.

BettynLen

Hendersonville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to this site:

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/plates/handicapped/

It has all of the info you are asking for.

Len

Carlos & Ranae

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Florida, get your physician to give you a prescription for a handicap sticker. Take it to a tag place and they will issue you a handicap sticker goog for three years. At no charge.

Carlos & Ranae
2010 Keystone Raptor Velocity 361 LEV
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Turbo Diesel
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC
2007 Yamaha Classic 650 CC

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can take your hang tag with you and use it in whatever vehicle you're in. We use ours from FL all over the US in our toad.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So are you saying that you have hanidcap licese on your sedan, and now want to be able to park your motorhome or other RV in a handicap parking space, or perahps take a towed car, or use your truck to park in a handicap space?

One option is to drop off your wife in front of whatever store you are going to, and then go park someplace in the middle of the lot, unless you are able to get a hanging handicap card in time.

The best option is a hanging card that you can hang on your rear view mirror. It will not help in parking a 30' motorhome in a 20' car parking spot, but can be used to park a motorhome in 2 metered spaces for free, and also offers a discount for getting into a Federal National Park, or 50% off some camping areas.

In my state, you need to have a doctor certify that you need assistance of some sort, unless you are a amputee, and the DMV workers can see it is true. In the case of a leg amputee, in California, you can self certify, and show up to verify. Or have a doctor's note, and mail it in, or show up for the card in person.

IN your case, because you want to take a trip very soon, I would suggest getting a hang tag by going to your local DMV, ask for the form, then go to your wife's doctor, have it filled out, and signed by a doctor, and then take it back for a new hang tag that allows parking in any handicap spot, as well as free parking at metered locations, and in a green zone you are exepmt from the time limit. So 20 minutes becomes all day!

Yet a yellow zone is not for handicap parking, and if it is a yellow 20 minute zone, you are only allowed to park 20 minutes if you have commercial plates that allow parking in a commercial loading zone.

I hope this explains everything!

Fred.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> How to get handicapped plackert copied or registered
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS