RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Never rv'd before need tips ;)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Never rv'd before need tips ;)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aimeeuk wrote:

We are renting a CAD C 30

don't know what CAD is but it appears to be a Class C, in the 30' range.
one big thing is to find out if it has a generator, in case you can't find a campsite with hookups.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Aimeeuk

England

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Aimeeuk wrote:

We are renting a CAD C 30

don't know what CAD is but it appears to be a Class C, in the 30' range.
one big thing is to find out if it has a generator, in case you can't find a campsite with hookups.

Yes it has a generator...
Thanks

pappcam

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's going to be pretty cold in Banff and Jasper in May.

2012 Flagstaff 27 BESS
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi

Be aware that it is quite possible to have 100 cm of snow in May. My suggestion is wait until late June or early July unless the dates are "set in stone".

That said I have made successful trips to Radium hot springs and Invermere in February. One trip I was delayed by an avalanche and on another trip I was storm stayed by one day.

From Banff to Jasper there are areas without cell phone service. It would be prudent to start with a full tank of gas and to refill the propane tank before making that leg of the trip.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/12 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have done that a couple of times and definitely take the tour of the glacier on the ice bus on the way to Jasper. I remember when we were in Tunnel Mtn. CG when my daughter & I were playing cribbage and noticed movement outside our window. When we checked there were 5 elk standing there watching us play cards.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 01:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canada is great for the type of trip you are planning. RV rentals will include everything you need but clothes, food, and toiletries. In May it can be cool so you will want to take extra clothes and pay the airline for the extra luggage.

When you check out the RV be sure that the LPG tanks are full and the gray and black water tanks are empty. Most outfits in the past turn over their RV inventory frequently so that the rigs are always under warranty and this gives you a great chance of having no problems on your trip.

President's Choice stores are hypermarkets - think of a Costco, Trader Joe's, and high quality supermarket all rolled into one. Nothing like it in the USA. One stop there and you can get everything you need in terms of food and other items for trip and fill in with stops to the government run liquor stores if you want to have wine.

I have never relied on GPS in Canada but if you have a unit take it along as it is likely to be for North America and be adequate for your trip.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Never rv'd before need tips ;)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS