RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: snowbird on east coast or west ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> snowbird on east coast or west ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/13 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm from the Midwest and yes everyone 'from Florida' will tell you you have to be way south for warm weather during their winters.

But then again they think 50 degrees is 'freezing cold' ! B

The first time I came down I stayed on my friends property. One day the temps got 'all the way down' to 60 degrees and I swear they came out of their house with winter coats on, gloves and boots! I came out with just a t-shirt on sitting in the lawn chair outside my MH enjoying the hot sun and they wanted to have me committed.

It's all relevant where you come from as to what is cold!

First 2 years I stayed in central Florida around Leesburg. This year I moved up north above the imaginary line of what Floridians call the cold zone, I.E. Ocala. It is usually 10 degrees cooler in this area less mosquitoes and I for one am going to enjoy every single minute of it.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

retispcsi

Port Charlotte, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/13 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Southwest and South Fla. are warmer in the winter period. The frost line is Tampa as the temps do vary quite a bit between Tampa and areas south. I am a former snowbird from the Midwest who spent two winters deciding on where to build. Yes the further south you go the warmer it gets but this winter the temps and I watch the weather every day only varied a couple of degrees say between Englewood and Naples. Also the weather is nicer the closer you are to the gulf. The parks are usually less expensive inland but if you come for the beaches you may have to drive. If you can use a computer you can get some nice places at the state parks for under $30.00 night. But you have to book early. Bugs are not an issue in the winter.

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/13 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

snowbird on east coast or west ?

As far as rates go between the two:
Florida has the highest CG fees I have ever encountered.......except that is, for California!

I honestly don't see why people don't just snowbird to So Georgia. IMHO, JMHO the CG's are far nicer and the rates are way lower.

Last time down I stopped in Perry, Ga for the night and ended up staying there for well over a month. Clean, nice, and no extra charges for electric and lots of amenities for way less than what I ended up paying after I crossed the state line!

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/13 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you might have gathered from the responses, there's not significant difference between the tempature on East vs West coast of Florida - it's really a longitudinal thing; the further south you go the warmer you go.

The one thing that might make a difference in cold snaps is proximity to the ocean and I believe the West coast of Florida has more RV parks close to the water than the East Coast (being 5 miles vs 25 miles to the coast line make be the difference between staying above freezing and going below freezing during a cold period).

If you care about ocean temperature, I do believe the water along the East coast (Atlantic) is warmer than the water along the West coast (Gulf) but it's not a huge difference and again, the further south, the warmer it is.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> snowbird on east coast or west ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS