Thank you all so very much. Doug asked most of the questions in the last posting, so here is further information (sorry I didn't give it before):
1. Outside temps are in the mid 50s where we are now (Northern California for our bi-annual medical treatments).
2. I don't remember exactly what he said he replaced, but he had to order three successive units, each of which he tested with his electrical equipment, before finding one with the correct "ohms"--I think.
3. 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire. It is a Penguin.
4. I can't fault Newmar, they've been wonderful on everything with this coach, including building the incredible machine. And the mobile guy is a Dometic certified repairman.
5. We have Aquahot, and while the unit was working in Yellowstone it WOULD switch to furnace at night, as it was supposed to.
Is this any help? Either way, thank you all again.
We had a lot of problems with our #1 AC/heat pump heating properly, then in the middle of the night going to cold air (in Yellowstone, no less). It's a Dometic 15,000 btu unit, and seemed solved when a mobile rv guy replaced the solenoid (I think). Unfortunately, it's begun gradually happening again. I get warm air for a while, then it gradually gets less and less warm, until it's cold. I've been told the unit defaults to heat and that it shouldn't be the reversing valve, and short of replacing the unit neither dometic, Newmar, or anyone else seems to be able to solve the problem.
Could it be the "board", whatever that is? Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thank you so much.
We have medical issues that leave us with limited reserves, but are going to try to take our rig (43' class A, with a tow)from Chula Vista, CA to Las Vegas (and from there to my dream of returning to Yellowstone), taking 215 from Chula Vista to 15 north. We hope to stop to rest one or two nights somewhere the Inland Empire--say around Riverside-San Bernardino--one that's (in order of priority) 1. safe, 2. nice, 3. hopefully has pull throughs.
We live in Indio but have never had occasion to search for a park in that area. Does anyone know of a nice place to stay?