Thanks for all the info, I will get a hydometer and check all the cells.
My factory battery didn't loose a complete charge so quickly. I thought perhaps the marine battery would be the same.
I never considered Walmart re-using/reconditioning old batteries.
What is most baffling, was why it appeared fully charged just after an hour, and why the trickle charger was indicating a fault.
So this is my story, and I'm, sticking to it!
I have a 2010 KZ 16C hybrid...love it.
About 6 weeks ago, I went camping for the first time of the season. While I was camping, the factory battery stopped holding a charge for more than a few hours. It's 2 years old and the factory cheapo.
I drove to the local Walmart and picked up a brand spanking new Deep Cycle Marine battery (dated 04/12, $90). I replaced the factory battery with the marine battery and all was well for the remaining day.
After I got home from my trip, I put my trickle charger on the battery and let it charge for two days. The charger showed the battery at full level as did the indicator inside the camper.
I am headed out for a long weekend, so this past weekend I went out to the camper and checked things out. I turned on one of the light switches and nothing...not a glow. Ok, its been six weeks and I have an am/fm radio with a clock so I figured it just drained it down (I did not disconnect the neg terminal, nor do I have a switch).
I brought out my charger again, hooked it up (yes, properly) and after a few minutes the charger showed a fault and tripped off. Re-connected, tried again, same thing.
I plugged in shore power, went inside the camper and made sure the lights, radio, microwave were working. Then I let the on-board charger do its thing. I went out an hour later just to check the charge level and it showed full....then I went out an unplugged the shore power (OK, sometimes I'm a little slow) and returned inside to check the battery level indicator in the camper, and it still showed full.
Hmmmm...full charge in just one hour? I put a meter on the battery (still unplugged) and it showed 13.4v. Plugged it in to shore, rechecked and it showed 13.8 and rising. Checked the ground...good. Checked the reverse polarity fuses...good.