RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search

RV Blog


RV Sales




RV Parks


RV Club


RV Buyers Guide


Roadside Assistance


Extended Service Plan


RV Travel Assistance


RV Credit Card


RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Open Roads Forum  >  Search the Forums

 > Your search for posts made by 'gotsmart' found 67 matches.

Sort by:    Search within results:
Page of 4  
  Subject Author Date Posted Forum
RE: Filling Propane Tanks

... My propane dealer fills my 20 and 30 lb tanks while sitting on a scale. Why is your propane dealer sitting on a scale when they fill your tanks? :S :B
gotsmart 11/11/17 09:54pm Tech Issues
RE: Step Up Toilet

gotsmart, This just made me laugh out loud, seriously :B because you nailed exactly what has to be done to avoid tripping.. This is the exact configuration of my 28A and I actually do leave the door open and I've learned to keep the curtain closed in the bedroom or else there's a clear view in/out because I got tired of opening and closing that curtain every single time... I don't have a curtain issue. I like a dark bedroom. I have the curtains always drawn on the 3 windows as well as Reflectix foil between the curtains and the glass, and a blackout cover on the bottom of the ceiling vent. 2 more tips. 1) My medicine cabinet does not go all the way to the ceiling. The top serves as a shelf to store 3 double-rolls of ones favorite toilet paper. 2) If your toilet paper holder is mounted on the wall similar to the below image then your knee is right under it when sitting on the toilet and it becomes kind of useless. Solution below the image. https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8179/7937499488_7ff97c79f1_n.jpg If you don't have children then this works well. If you do, then YMMV. Use the toilet paper holder as an aid for getting onto and off of the pedestal. Use one hand on the sink counter and the other hand on the toilet paper holder to steady yourself as you get on and off the pedestal. BIG NOTE: The toilet paper holder is NOT a grab rail. It is not mounted in a way to support the full weight of a person. If your toilet paper holder is loose on the wall then using it to steady yourself IS NOT a good idea. So, where to put the toilet paper? Get one of these at Walmart. https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/a083d5bd-d4f8-41ed-a28d-e489655a103f_1.3952752326eb0c45f839dc2ae7b84cc2.jpeg height=200 width=200 Where to put it? Open the medicine cabinet door and hang it in the lower corner that is closest to the toilet. The door easily closes securely over it. I'd post a picture of mine, but Flickr is having issues at the moment. The location of over-the-tank toilet paper holder on the cabinet works very well for me.
gotsmart 11/09/17 10:06pm Class C Motorhomes
RE: Step Up Toilet

This is the bathroom in my 2004 Majestic 28R. The step up is 11 inches high and is 17 inches from the door. https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8312/7937502048_87faaa5412_n.jpg https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8179/7937499488_7ff97c79f1_n.jpg Below is the view from the rear bed. The bathroom is on the left with the shower on the right. It has a glass door. Problem: when getting off of the toilet while disrobed (with clothes at ones feet) there is a risk of tripping and falling into the door, or worse if the door is ajar falling into the shower door. My solution: Open the bathroom door all the way until it hits the door stop, and leave it in that position. Disrobe and lay the clothes out on the foot of the bed. Step backwards up onto the pedestal. There's no soundproofing in the walls at all, so privacy concerns are pretty much moot. https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8182/7937491866_70737864f0_n.jpg
gotsmart 11/09/17 12:31am Class C Motorhomes
RE: Wall Wart Efficiency? Dealing With Interpretations. WuuWee

I see one of these in your future: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51KAALSji6L.jpg :B
gotsmart 10/30/17 01:08am Tech Issues
RE: New Tires on Workhorse, Where near Olympia WA?

Wherever you go call ahead. Ask 2 questions: 1) Do they have the size of tire that you need? 2) Will they do the work outside in the parking lot if they can't get the RV into their garage? Discount Tire Store 5490 Martin Way E Lacey, WA 98516 (360) 459-1134 Les Schwab Tire Center 2825 Capital Mall Dr SW Olympia, WA 98501 (360) 943-9822 Les Schwab Tire Center 1100 Plum St SE Olympia, WA 98501 (360) 943-0870 Les Schwab Tire Center 6328 Capitol Blvd SE Tumwater, WA 98501 (360) 943-8813 You can also call these folks for advice (I don't think they do tires): Coumbs RV Truck Accessories 3052 Pacific Ave SE Olympia, WA 98501 (360) 357-6506
gotsmart 10/25/17 09:20pm Class A Motorhomes
RE: Propane Adapter Kit ??

This is my Stay-A-While Deluxe. It is mounted between the valve and the regulator. It comes with a 5 foot hose for connecting to an external propane tank (side port) and a 12 foot hose for connecting to a gas grill (top port). In this configuration the gas grill needs its own regulator. I have a Coleman camp grill that use 1QT butane bottles. I connect the 12 foot hose to the grill where the bottle screws on and it works fine. (the stub on the grill that the bottle screws onto has its own regulator) https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7796513374_e038868e0d_z_d.jpg
gotsmart 10/25/17 08:47pm Class C Motorhomes
RE: Anyone do Mods to cabover bunk?

Cutting off the Class C sleeping loft and modifying it to be shorter and more aerodynamic like the Class B is a very tall order. It is something you possibly won't find.
gotsmart 10/23/17 02:02am Class C Motorhomes
RE: Potty ?.+Updated.. Read again if you.read it already!!

Solved: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91WOMUDsaDL._SL1500_.jpg height=250 width=250 It was too easy..... :B
gotsmart 10/21/17 11:24pm General RVing Issues
RE: Rusty hitch ball vs stainless -- worthwhile?

...if only there were other experts on hitch balls.
gotsmart 10/07/17 10:52pm Tech Issues
RE: Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

Be glad it is gone. The Dometic rooftop AC's with electronic thermostat controlling both heat and AC were awful. Went back to ceiling controlled Coleman units and standard analog t-stat for the furnace which is a virtually bulletproof installation. {cut} I'm glad I have a 28R. Coleman Mach 1, Sunbeam T-stat on the furnace, troublefree Norcold N621 (also has a N623RT label. ??) You gave me an idea to mull over. I use a LUX WIN100 to control a 1500W space heater. Would it be possible, I ask myself, to add a digital line voltage set-back thermostat that is sized to the power requirements of the Mach 1? My surgeguard at the pedestal takes care of the needed 2 minute compressor delay during a power failure. Would the Mach 1 be unhappy about being cycled via AC power? hmmmm
gotsmart 10/06/17 12:24pm Class C Motorhomes
RE: DIN? (School Is In) Nerd Fodder

I thought this was a DIN - made by... *coughs hard* ...Radio Shack for their Rubberlastic CB radios. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/4166f1W23iL._SY450_.jpg height=250 width=250
gotsmart 10/05/17 11:08pm Tech Issues
RE: Found - A Decent Power Strip (power block)

The placing of a light switch exact center of wall between two doorways just amazes me. The answer of course would be... I've lived all over the USA and Bathroom Light Switches were always adjacent to the bath door inside the Bathroom. EXCEPT Massachusetts. There they were mounted next to the Bath door, outside the bathroom. (Typically in the hall.) This was done in every house I visited there. You just described every nursing home and assisted care facility. :B "Hola MEX. Welcome to Hotel California. My name is Rico. I'll be your nurse." http://willnicholes.com/images/switches/pilot-large.jpg Amazon power strip linky
gotsmart 09/29/17 11:03pm Tech Issues
RE: Am drooling over this Aussie rig

I wonder what the service life is for a clothes washer that is located in a basement door behind the rear axle.
gotsmart 09/24/17 12:53am Class C Motorhomes
RE: Full Time RVers using mail forwarding and Denied Credit

With credit cards one can have both a physical address and a billing address on file. Call up the CC company's customer service and give them an address for the physical address that they require (it could be the RV park that you are staying at for all they care), then tell them that you have a separate billing address and give them your mailbox's address. I've already gone through this "Patriot Act" stuff with my credit cards. I did the above. My PMB is my billing address. Don't sweat it.
gotsmart 08/13/17 10:57pm Full-time RVing
RE: Swap Pilot for Electronic (Water Heater)?

gotsmart 08/04/17 09:23pm Tech Issues
RE: Neskowin Creek RV Park membership

Neskowin Creek RV Resort is part of Sound Pacific Resorts.
gotsmart 07/24/17 08:19pm General RVing Issues
RE: Propane

Hi to all. We are gonna stay the winter in the cg we are in now. We were gonna use electric heaters but found out today the cg owners say no to electric heaters. They watch the electric very close. They have grids and if too much electric is used they will charge ya. We may be the only ones here in the winter in the grid for the area. My question is is the small propane heaters safe for inside. Thanks as usual for yer answers. God Bless. The part that I've bolded reads like a red flag to me of a landlord telegraphing that they have you over a barrel and will return each month with their hand out asking for more money... and they'll have a new excuse every time. Your post implies that the cg may have low occupancy for the winter. This incentivizes the cg to squeeze as much money out of each occupied site as possible. If the cg refuses write a lease for the winter, you're at the cg's whim. Leave. If you do have a lease (or are getting one), have it spell out everything that is included and not included: power, water, sewer, cable TV, WiFi, guest fees, extra vehicle fees, pool/spa fees, additional park fees. If the minimum length of the lease is for more months than you plan to stay then negotiate the termination fees. If the lease includes xxx kilowatt hours of power included per month with xx cents per kWh after that - if your pedestal has a utility meter on it then become a meter reader and write down your power usage. I've heard too many stories from RVers who caught the cg fudging the electric bill.
gotsmart 07/10/17 12:21am General RVing Issues
RE: Ohio to Bar Harbor Maine via Vermont advice

so yes, this is purely to check VT off the list :) by getting coffee or a snack and then getting back on the road. I grew up in South Portland, ME and lived 17 years in Manchester, NH before coming to WA. Assuming the above is all that you want to do in VT... I-90 E to Chicopee, Mass to I-91 N I-91 N to Vermont 5.5 miles into VT is the Guilford Welcome Center Do the VT thing - snack, stretch legs, restroom break continue I-91 N to exit 1, take exit 1 cross under the interstate, take on-ramp to I-91 S I-91 S to Chicopee, Mass to I-90 E I-90 E to I-495 N I-495 N to I-95 N (just south of NH state line) I-95 N to Maine (I-95 in NH is only 15 miles long) Once in Maine you can decide whether to take the Maine Turnpike or the coastal route. If time is of the essence, stay on the big roads in New England. ------------------ Something to consider... In Sturbridge, Mass is Old Sturbridge Village. It is like stepping back in time and walking through history. My parents took the family there several times in my youth. You'd literally be driving right past it. They have RV parking (no overnight parking though). Old Sturbridge Village, the largest outdoor history museum in the Northeast, depicts a rural New England town of the 1830s. You are invited into more than 40 original buildings, including homes, meetinghouses, a district school, country store, bank, working farm, three water-powered mills, and trade shops - all situated on more than 200 scenic acres. Visitors can meet heritage breed farm animals and interact with authentically costumed staff.
gotsmart 06/23/17 01:12am Roads and Routes
RE: FM Radio Static while using generator

I could have a field day making light of talented hamsters (sic) running all day on their treadmills but alas, I live in fear of the 'Maude's.
gotsmart 06/04/17 12:40am Tech Issues
RE: Registration......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

I'm a resident of Grays Harbor County in WA state. Several WA counties require passing an emissions test prior to registering (or renewing) a vehicle. Grays Harbor County does not require an emissions test. I purposefully chose Grays Harbor County for this reason. I can renew online and not even be in the state. King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties are also impacted by the Regional Transit Authority (RTA) tax. Even worse is: Sound Transit 3 (ST3). Why am I saying all this? It's not just the state that one must consider. In many cases, counties and municipalities can pile on their own fees to the registration. In Grays Harbor County, WA my annual registrations last March were: 2005 30 foot Class C: $116.75 Registration License - Renewal $30.00 Vehicle Weight - Motorhome $75.00 RV Sanitary Disposal $3.00 Registration Filing $3.00 Registration Service Fee $5.00 License Plate Technology $0.25 Department of Licensing Service $0.50 2009 smart car: $63.75 Registration License - Renewal $30.00 Vehicle Weight $25.00 Registration Filing $3.00 Registration Service Fee $5.00 License Plate Technology $0.25 Department of Licensing Service $0.50
gotsmart 04/30/17 10:41pm General RVing Issues
Sort by:    Search within results:
Page of 4  

New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS