Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 40 to 45-foot 5th Wheelers - Pro's & Con's - Your advice is appreciated.

Posted By: skigalini on 11/12/03 12:18pm

I'm a contractor/manager/engineering type. I wish to get a larger 5th wheel, say between 40 to 45 feet in length. Some of these have a 2 bedroom which would more comfortably accommodate my wife and kids for longer visits while I am at my assignment locations.

Can anyone please present the pro's and con's of these larger, longer fifth wheels? Also, I have some more specific questions:

(1) What states are the 40-ft and longer 5th wheel RV's restricted?
(2) Do I require a CDL or special license to operate?
(3) My F250 6.0L Diesel is not a dually. Does that make any difference?
(4) Is it common for some state parks and RV parks have length restrictions.
(5) Is there anyone who has upgraded from a smaller (for instance a 33-footer) to a 45 footer?

I don't want to make a mistake getting rid of a nice 93-model 33' fifth wheel if the upgrade to the larger one is more hassel than it's worth.

Thanks ... Scott
My 2003 F250 Centennial Larriat 6.0L Die........hitch in back without the camper shell).

Scott Shamblin
Displaced Texan Living In Canada F250 Lariat Centennial FX4 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel 4-Door Superduty Crewcab. Picture shows a cap on the bed. Now has a roll-away jackrabbit cover concealing a Hidden-Hitch 18K 5th wheel hitch in back.
Truck is stunning and runs unbelievable with or without a load.Scott's F250 Centennial Lariat
Loaded With Everything Available

Posted By: Mirage3250 on 11/12/03 12:34pm

Without getting into specific trailers my initial thought would be that a 40' to 45' would be to much for your F250. Not just for the gross weight, but, I would suspect the hitch weights would be up there also.
Just an opinion, but I wouldn't want to tow anything that long without a dually.
Others may have better info on State Campgrounds but from discussions I've read it sounds like 40'+ may have limited access to these.

37' Mirage Triple slider, '03 GMC 1 T Ext.Cab Dually, Duramax/Allison GO SOONERS!!

Posted By: DavidG on 11/12/03 12:36pm

You’re looking at some serious length, and weight, there!!! I’ve looked at the Alfa, Teton Homes, and King of the Road fifth wheels before (in your length range of 40’-45’) and they are all too heavy for any ¾ ton truck. Some are too much for even a 1 ton. Depending on which one you settle on, you may be looking at a medium duty truck (MDT) to pull it with. Those would include the Ford F450/550/650 series, GM’s new C4500/5500/6500 series, or something similar to a Freightliner Sport Chassis (a mini semi-tractor type). Only problem I see with any of these is I don’t know how good of a daily driver rig they would make.(?)

To answer your questions:
1) Check out the state laws link on my web site (in signature below).
2) No special license is required to operate any of the trucks I mentioned above (as far as I know of anyway).
3) Don’t even think of pulling that much weight with your F250!
4) Yes, many state and private RV parks have length limits. There is a book titled “Big Rig Best Bets” that might help on this.
5) Not me.

If you already have something that works, why change it? You’re right, it could be more hassle than it’s worth.

David and Laura G
Click here for my RV Tips
2003 Suburban K2500LT 4WD, 8.1L, 3.73
2008 Adirondack 31RK-DSL
Our blog

Posted By: Happy Jack on 11/12/03 03:13pm

You probably know this, but if the extra bedroom is all you want, and depending on how old your kids are, Forest River makes a few models in the 30 to 35 foot range with a back bedroom that has over/under bunks, a small floor area and a bit of an entertainment unit / dresser area. Look for BH (bunk house) in the model number.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Crew SB 4x4 6.0, Rancho 9000
Michelin LTX 265 75R16E, Torklift Tie-Downs, Timbrens
2004 Adventurer 810ws by Western Canada RV.

Posted By: skigalini on 11/12/03 08:39pm

Thank you Happy Jack. I will check out Forest River RV's. Sounds like my F250 6.0L, although it has 360 HP and 560 ft. lbs of torque, doesn't have the ummmmmph to pull a big 40' trailer. I need my F250 to be a daily driver as well.

This brings me back to going smaller, but functional. Bunk beds sounds like the ticket. I'll just make sure I don't have any more kids or I'll need more bed-space. Two kids is enough for me.

Again thanks for the Forest River suggestion.

Posted By: Kenneth on 11/12/03 08:46pm

Quote:

Thank you Happy Jack. I will check out Forest River RV's. Sounds like my F250 6.0L, although it has 360 HP and 560 ft. lbs of torque, doesn't have the ummmmmph to pull a big 40' trailer. I need my F250 to be a daily driver as well.

That's only part of the problem. The weight of the front of a 5th wheel trailer is carried by the truck. Your F250 isn't rated to carry that much weight. Thats why you'd need something like an F550.

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

Posted By: CalRed on 11/18/03 09:58pm

Just don't sacrifice living room for bed room. All you do in there is sleep. You should probably be looking at a bigger living area if you are going to be gone a lot. Much time will be spent there, watching TV, etc. Not nearly as much as sleeping. Besides, couches usually make good beds.

Also there will be many parks you can't get a 40 footer into. My 35 footer is often difficult to get into many parks and then there has to be space for the truck...

Have Trailer — Will Travel

Cal & Grace Reddick Campground Area Managers
Cradle of Forestry in America Interpretative Association

Montana 3255RL Dodge 1-Ton Dually Cummins 5.9TD

My Photo Albums

Posted By: PSDExcursion on 11/19/03 07:27am

Quote:

I'm a contractor/manager/engineering type. I wish to get a larger 5th wheel, say between 40 to 45 feet in length. Some of these have a 2 bedroom which would more comfortably accommodate my wife and kids for longer visits while I am at my assignment locations.

If you want two bedrooms and 40+ Ft get a 41 ft TT with two slideouts and two bedrooms . We have the optional four bunk beds in the front bedroom and the two top bunks convert into storage cabinets.

You can't pull a 40-45 ft 5th wheel TT with a DRW F350 so with a F250 it's not going to work.

2002 Chevy Express 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van
41 Ft 2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR TT w/ Hensley Arrow

Posted By: Brewster on 11/19/03 02:10pm

A 45' trailer - man, that's long.

You'll probably have to register the truck in a different state

Sold my big Trailer, looking for something smaller.

Posted By: The Mad Norsky on 11/13/03 12:48am

Nice truck!

Thanks for the link, and sharing the photo!

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan, Korey & Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2008 SnowRiver 10-8 D/S Torklift, FastGuns, StableLoads
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Posted By: AlbertaBear on 11/13/03 01:25am

You need a LOT more truck first.

One with training wheels and maybe 19.5" wheels.

Bjorn & Laurie
Kaela 7 & Sydney 4 1/2

04 Open Road 321 RBHS TT
04 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO QC 4x2 SRW LB Laramie 6 Speed.
Predator Chip, BD E-brake, Spacekap topper, Reese Dual Cam HP, SmarTire Road Voice, Vizualogic Headrest monitors,

Posted By: blt2ski on 11/13/03 09:21am

Moved to towing

Marty

Posted By: MIKECC on 11/13/03 11:07am

Man, now I'm a big ford fan, but a 40ft FW would best be left to a semi or freightliner. I'm not sure a f-550 would be up to the task!!

2000 F-350 Dually CC PSD 4.10 rearend, Hypertech stage 3 chip, 4" exhaust.
2004 35ft Dutchman FW, Double slide, 50amp, 2 a/c's, 2 bunks with back desk area
13 year old girl, 7 year old boy, full timing in two years and 11 months when I retire!! (military)

Print  |  Close