Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Lance Lite 835 vs. Eagle Cap 800 Lite - What do you think? What options would you get?

Posted By: JW2 on 03/11/04 11:32am

I am still looking at all campers. Lance Lite 835 vs. Eagle Cap 800 Lite - What do you think about how these two compare? Based on what you have experienced, what options would you get?

Posted By: ChopperBill on 03/11/04 11:52am

Had a Lance 835. A VERY quality camper. I would get the convenience package and the all weather package. You can get the carpet kit without the deluxe interior kit and eliminate a lot of fru-fru. I had the TV antenna but it was useless where we go. I installed a cable from under the cab-over to the TV "table" and used a satellite on a portable dish. Worked very well. Didn't have air but the Fantastic fan with thermostat did the job most of the time. Guys that have the Eagle Cap swear by them. I wouldn't shy away from either one. Sure you will make the right decision.

"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Posted By: wellsdesigned on 03/11/04 12:35pm

The two look virtually equal on the numbers to me. Both are quality units. I'd give the edge to Lance for the standard cabinet door latches and I'd give the edge to Eagle Cap for the increased grey and black water capacity. It'd all come down to price for me if I had to choose between the two.

One item that would tip me toward Eagle Cap over Lance in these models would be if Eagle Cap has their roll over couch option on this model. It would open up the floor and increase the comfort.

2002 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab 6.0L V8
2004 Eagle Cap 850 Camper w/slide-out

Visit my Truck Camper Travels site.

Posted By: sigma40 on 03/11/04 12:48pm

I have the Eagle Cap 800 - looked at the lite - but wanted a little more- Choose it over the Lance- just better equipped - seems to be higher quality and its aluminum frame - believe the Lance is a wood frame.. Anyway, you should check out the 800 - not much more in weight and you get more - we got it with the couch - much better than the dinette. And order it with Northwest Edition ( R-17 insulation in the roof !)

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4 x 4 5.9l Cummins Diesel LB

2004 Eagle Cap 800 Camper

If you are offended by my American Flag-
Please call 1-800-LEAVE THE USA

Posted By: pharaoh on 03/11/04 01:09pm

HELLOW!!!!!!
there is no question... the Lance is all wood construction, the Eagle Cap is 100% aluminum welded construction. and if they are that close in everything else, look at the price... We all know Aluminum is more expencive then wood... so what are you paying more for the wood Lance??? the name??? stick with the best built camper, not the best addv ertised one, you will be much happier in the end... Eagle Cap all the way...

Posted By: sigma40 on 03/11/04 01:50pm

Quote:

HELLOW!!!!!!
there is no question... the Lance is all wood construction, the Eagle Cap is 100% aluminum welded construction. and if they are that close in everything else, look at the price... We all know Aluminum is more expencive then wood... so what are you paying more for the wood Lance??? the name??? stick with the best built camper, not the best addv ertised one, you will be much happier in the end... Eagle Cap all the way...

Amen to that - we looked at Lance then we looked at Eagle Cap - there as no comparsion - we now have an Eagle Cap 800 in our pole building- I was impressed with the quality of the EC and what was standard...

Go with the quality - Go Eagle Cap (Yes I know I should be working for them- I make sure that I get the best value for the money - and thats Eagle Cap !)

Posted By: wellsdesigned on 03/11/04 01:54pm

This lovefest for Eagle Caps is just begging for comment from Beach Bum.

Posted By: eddyd on 03/11/04 03:54pm

Any choice is a tough choice. Look at the detail when you compare both. Also look at the material each one uses in building and furnishing.

I won’t say what I recommend. (Look at signature)

2006 3500 Dodge Laramie Quad Cab 4x4 DRW
2006 Raptor 3612
2005 Raptor 660 (Mine)
2005 Raptor 350 (Wife's)

Posted By: LeeT on 03/11/04 04:06pm

How about a Northern Lite or Bigfoot? A lot of us in the wet NW prefer the molded fiberglass:

http://www.northern-lite.com/lite.shtml

http://www.bigfootrv.com/campers/1500.html

I'm partial to NL, I just like the look better. But, they both use a superior construction method to the 'stick built' type.

2006 Jacyo Jay Flight 27.5BHS
1998 C2500HD X-Cab LB, Rhino Liner, 16k Dual-pivot Husky Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller
Prev: 2003 Northern Lite 10-2000CD
Go Cougs!

Posted By: Less Stuff on 03/11/04 04:16pm

Eagle Caps have 78" of headroom. The Lance 835 has 80" this may matter if you want to add AC. As Most AC units need 2.5 inches from the celing.
When comparing brands we all like the brand we chose. You must decide what features mean the most to you and get the camper that suits your needs. Keep in mind that camper manufactures come and go the ones that stay produce good value.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/12/04 04:34am

Keep looking at them closer. Go back and look again. Til you weigh all things out. You'll soon learn what to do. Don't go buy what these guys say about mine is the best. Lance is so well made and sealed you will probably not own it when it does start giving trouble years and years down the line.
I've haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that Eagle Cap is better. The rubber roof alone is enough to turn me away. Your going to hit more branches driving around. No way to avoid it.

My Lance is so solid I hit this huge frost heave in the road,broke a HappiJac, the camper crashed down into the truck after hitting my cab lights, and ended up sidways in the truck. Their wasn't a mark on the camper.

Lets see a the Eagle Cap go though that and survive. Probably would have had a bunch of welds fail.

Pro's and Con's .

* This post was edited 03/12/04 04:42am by Capt. Caper *

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/12/04 05:43am

Rubber roof? Forget Eagle Cap... Strength baby, not silly putty. Aluminum roofs are much more durable and costly. The Lance will outlast.

* This post was edited 03/12/04 05:50am by Beach Bum *

Beach Bum
04.5 3500 Dodge Ram Cummins, 4x4 srw, 9000s
05 Lance 981, Solar, 22" LCD, 5.1 surround 1K watts, Hon 2k
04 Paradise Point 33RL
04 Honda GoldWing 05 Yam FJR 1300 2) 87 Hon XL600R
Toy Trailer 7x14
WAY too many toys, never enough time

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/12/04 06:22am

Quote:

I'm partial to NL, I just like the look better. But, they both use a superior construction method to the 'stick built' type.
Superior, where's the proof? subjective opinion here folks... Wood frames are very durable, light and strong, don't buy that fiberglass hype.

Posted By: ChuckD on 03/12/04 02:48am

Pharaoh: Considering first that you are from LaGrande (and a VERY nice place to be)and seem to really tout the virtues of Eagle Cap and not Arctic Fox, I am guessing you might work for the former? If so, It is good to support the hand that feeds you, Eagle Cap is certainly a good camper, and it would be nice to know if this is true...Well? Chuck (Owner of a quality camper from THE BIG LOCALLY OWNED RV MANUFACTURER in LaGrande)

1995 Safari Trek 2830, 17' Monark McFast Bassboat, 03 Jeep Wrangler toad

Posted By: GONZO99TA on 03/12/04 05:42pm

can only relate that after a year of owning my ec800 lite, we have had 0 problems. we chose the eagle cap because it was the one that fit our needs the best.

can't go wrong with either one. price them and see which one works best for you. really spend some thinking how you will use it and spend your time in it. look over the storage areas... basically nit pic them to death, then see which has more pros than cons for your use.

2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD cc/sb
2003 Eagle Cap 800 lite

the toys:
99 trans am 30th anniversary
79 trans am black se
88 chevy blazer (trail ready)

Posted By: NetBoy on 03/12/04 07:31pm

Quote:

...there is no question... the Lance is all wood construction, the Eagle Cap is 100% aluminum welded construction. and if they are that close in everything else, look at the price... We all know Aluminum is more expencive then wood... so what are you paying more for the wood Lance??? the name??? stick with the best built camper, not the best addv ertised one, you will be much happier in the end... Eagle Cap all the way...

Amen to that - we looked at Lance then we looked at Eagle Cap - there as no comparsion - we now have an Eagle Cap 800 in our pole building- I was impressed with the quality of the EC and what was standard... Go with the quality - Go Eagle Cap (Yes I know I should be working for them- I make sure that I get the best value for the money - and thats Eagle Cap !)

It is apparent that you two are little short fellows. At the Sportsman show in Portland recently I went into an Eagle Cap, and the low doorway took a chunk out of my head on the way in, and then again on the way out (I guess I'm a slow learner). As quality as they may be, that was enough for me. You'd think that they would have at least padded the doorway on the inside so you would get a break one direction. But Nooooooo.

The Lance is built so that guys 5'-10" and over don't scalp themselves.

Later dudes.....

NETBOY™
---
Visit Netboy's Camper Project's Page = Lots of mod projects to my truck and camper.

My newest rig -- 2004 Thor Chateau 21RB:

Posted By: ChopperBill on 03/12/04 09:10pm

"You'd think that they would have at least padded the doorway on the inside so you would get a break one direction. But Nooooooo."
Now that statement got my funny bone agoing on a rather boring Friday night!

Posted By: pharaoh on 03/15/04 09:53am

why is rubber roof an upgrade for the Lance if their aluminum is so grate...

Posted By: pharaoh on 03/15/04 10:14am

my Eagle Cap has a 72" high door, same as the Lance i looked at... and my door is 4" wider than the Lance i looked at... and i'm 6'2" tall... try not jumping with excitement when you see the Eagle Cap, might help with the head...

Posted By: pharaoh on 03/15/04 08:29am

Chuck, we have more than rv manufacturers in LaGrande...

* This post was edited 03/30/04 06:29am by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: johnsonmi on 03/12/04 08:48am

I looked long and hard before buying my camper (which I just picked up last week).

One of my hunting buddies has a Lance, and spending some time in it is what lead me to the decision to get a truck camper. I narrowed my choices down to the Lance 825, Artic Fox 860, and Eagle Cap 850. They all had things I liked and didn't like.

After all was said and done, I purchased the Eagle Cap 850, and I'll tell you why. First, just before making my decision, I went to the Tacoma RV show to take a final look at each. At the show was an Eagle Cap rep. Another hunting partner was with me and he had made out a checklist of questions to ask each camper dealer along with features to compare. I tell you what, with the exception of the Eagle Cap rep, all of the dealers at the show could not answer my friend's questions. Half of their answers were "I don't know". The Eagle Cap rep had the answers instantly, and was able to expand the questions and answer even deeper issues. This guy was very impressive and knew his stuff! He wasn't a salesman in the least, but his knowledge and forthrightness sold us on Eagle Cap as a company.

With respect to the camper itself, I liked the fact that it had larger fresh, grey and black tanks. This is a bonus for long stays in the woods where you don't have hook-ups. I liked the quality of the cabinets and workmanship over the Lance and Artic Fox. The bathroom in the Eagle Cap 850 is much roomier than the other two brands. Another big factor was the weight. Eagle Cap's alluminum framed camper is much lighter than Lance and Artic Fox. This is something to really consider. I've got a Ford F-350 and I thought weight wouldn't be an issue, but I was wrong. After getting my camper, I loaded it up and took the truck to the scales and got the shock of my like. Even with the lighter Eagle Cap camper, I was still close to max rear axle weight (NOTE TO ALL: If you don't have to, don't drive with full fresh water tanks. This adds a lot of weight that in most cases is not needed. You can usually find a water source to fill your tanks somewhere near your destination!)

Bottom line; the Eagle Cap 850 was the best choice. I would definitely get the generator, as you'll find you will need a source of AC power (you won't always be at a place that has hook-ups). I would also get the solar panel, as it will charge your battery during the day while you are out and about. Also get a fantastic fan.

2002 F-350 SRW Crew Cab
2004 Eagle Cap 850 loaded

Posted By: LeeT on 03/12/04 09:37am

Quote:

subjective opinion here folks

The facts are that the NL/Bigfoot is lighter than a stick-built of the same size. And, the stick-builts have many more seams.

The stick-builts may be OK in some parts of the country, but up here in the NW, when just leaving the camper beside the house for a couple months results in an inch of moss, I much prefer less seams.

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/12/04 11:52am

Quote:

Quote:

subjective opinion here folks

The facts are that the NL/Bigfoot is lighter than a stick-built of the same size. And, the stick-builts have many more seams.

The stick-builts may be OK in some parts of the country, but up here in the NW, when just leaving the camper beside the house for a couple months results in an inch of moss, I much prefer less seams.
Since when is a Bigfoot light weight????

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/12/04 12:05pm

Quote:

I looked long and hard before buying my camper (which I just picked up last week).

One of my hunting buddies has a Lance, and spending some time in it is what lead me to the decision to get a truck camper. I narrowed my choices down to the Lance 825, Artic Fox 860, and Eagle Cap 850. They all had things I liked and didn't like.
(snip happens)
After all was said and done, I purchased the Eagle Cap 850, and I'll tell you why. First, just before making my decision, I went to the Tacoma RV show to take a final look at each. Eagle Cap's alluminum framed camper is much lighter than Lance and Artic Fox. This is something to really consider. I've got a Ford F-350 and I thought weight wouldn't be an issue, but I was wrong. After getting my camper, I loaded it up and took the truck to the scales and got the shock of my like. Even with the lighter Eagle Cap camper, I was still close to max rear axle weight (NOTE TO ALL: If you don't have to, don't drive with full fresh water tanks. This adds a lot of weight that in most cases is not needed. You can usually find a water source to fill your tanks somewhere near your destination!)

Bottom line; the Eagle Cap 850 was the best choice.
Best choice for who? I have to ask are you sure about the Lance 825? It has not been made since 2001 so I doubt that is what you saw at the show. As to weight, you have been misled, the Eagle Cap is not lighter weight than the Lance 825... I have one on a 1500. If you are near axle weights, that ain't a light camper. Finally, what is important to you may not be for everyone else. While I too appreciate a knowledgable salesperson, it would not be my main criteria for making a purchase. I like aluminum roofs, rubber is for tennis balls. Around here the Seagulls drop clams on camper roofs to open the shells. A rubber roof would get destroyed very quickly. Large tanks = more weight. Can't argue with a larger bathroom, that's the only thing I don't like in my Lance Lite. The Lance 1025 has a HUGE bath though.

Posted By: wellsdesigned on 03/12/04 12:06pm

Any of this helping your decision JW2?

When you decide on a camper, let us know what you bought and what tipped you one way or another. My suspicion is that it will come down to the price and the way one dealer treats you over another.

Posted By: roadranger on 03/12/04 12:20pm

Quote:

Around here the Seagulls drop clams on camper roofs to open the shells. A rubber roof would get destroyed very quickly.

How do you know this??
Seen any get destroyed lately??
Seems to me the 'rubber' roof would bounce the shells right off of it...
NOT that many out here have to worry about seagulls!

My beef with Lances' aluminum sheet roof was constantly having to re-seal all of the vents penetrating it. The aluminum expands and contracts so much, it tears the vent seal up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

'01 Dodge 2500 4x4 QuadCab HO Cummins 6 spd,19.5 Ricksons,Ranchos,Hellwig sway,4 leaf helper springs,Titan V hitch w/28in. extension.

'03 EAGLE CAP 950,slide out,dual batteries,Honda EU2000.

Tow- 7000lb.tandem axle Cargo trailer

Semper Fi, RVN

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/12/04 12:38pm

Quote:

Quote:

Around here the Seagulls drop clams on camper roofs to open the shells. A rubber roof would get destroyed very quickly.

How do you know this??

I know this because it has happened to me.
Quote:

Seen any get destroyed lately??
Seems to me the 'rubber' roof would bounce the shells right off of it...
NOT that many out here have to worry about seagulls!
Well, as I surf-fish mainly, Seagulls are a real problem. Broken clamshells are as sharp as a razor blades, rubber gets cut easily.

Quote:

My beef with Lances' aluminum sheet roof was constantly having to re-seal all of the vents penetrating it. The aluminum expands and contracts so much, it tears the vent seal up.
My now 3 y/o Lance has not had ANY seam open up yet. I just checked the sealant and it is tight, no expansion separation. My unit never gets covered, sits in the sun, wind, snow and rain, No problems

Posted By: johnsonmi on 03/12/04 12:48pm

Quote:

Around here the Seagulls drop clams on camper roofs to open the shells.

Nice of you to buy something the segulls can use!

Look, everyone has their likes and dislikes in a camper. People aren't slamming you or your camper.

STOP TAKING EVERY POST PERSONALLY !!!

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/12/04 12:53pm

Quote:

Quote:

Around here the Seagulls drop clams on camper roofs to open the shells.

Nice of you to buy something the segulls can use!

Look, everyone has their likes and dislikes in a camper. People aren't slamming you or your camper.

STOP TAKING EVERY POST PERSONALLY !!!
What part of this was personal? Not how I took it... That I am a big Lance fan bothers you why?

Posted By: LeeT on 03/12/04 02:23pm

Quote:

Since when is a Bigfoot light weight????

The Bigfoot that is most comparable to the Lance 835 (the subject of this post) is the 15C8.2, with a dry weight of 1790#. The 835 has a dry weight of 2040#. That's 250#.

I already provided the link(s), in my original post.

Posted By: sigma40 on 03/15/04 10:43am

Well I'm 5'8, should I guess I would be considered short - but perhaps if you didn't stand on your tiptoes trying to look 6' it might help ! :-))

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/15/04 11:42am

They've come along way since the stick units of years past.

Especially if you buy quality like Lance. No way will my Lance leak the way they've sealed them up.

Posted By: JW2 on 03/15/04 02:01pm

Capt. Caper.....

No leaks........No Way??????????......Huuummmmmmm. I have read about leaks in other Lances on this forum...... Does your unit have an upgraded sealing system / method from earlier built Lances that makes your unit leak proof?

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/15/04 02:18pm

Yes it has the latest sealing system. Including the clear coat around all fixtures up top. See Lancetruckcampers.com or email them they'll describe the coatings.

Jim

Posted By: NetBoy on 03/15/04 03:59pm

Quote:

Does your unit have an upgraded sealing system / method from earlier built Lances that makes your unit leak proof?
Yeah, the method that makes it leakproof is that I store it inside. That way it only leaks when I take it outside.

Actually, I seen no evidence of ANY leaks in my 2000 Lance. It was stored outside in the rainy NW up until I bought it this past November. The roof is one-piece aluminum with no seams, and the sealant around the vents and stuff looks really good (I'm not sure what it is -- some kind of thick clear resin that looks almost like it was applied hot). Window calking also looks good. There is a couple of places where it looks like the previous owner hit a tree limb, and the fiberglass almost looks cracked but I looked closely and it doesn't go clear through.

But if I do ever see any place the calking is looking shabby, I will redo it post-haste.

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/15/04 04:30pm

Quote:

Rubber roof? Forget Eagle Cap... Strength baby, not silly putty. Aluminum roofs are much more durable and costly. The Lance will outlast.

Steve
I bet they have all kinds of problems down the line while ours will still be solid. I know constrution being a boat builder, and they'll be hard pressed to keep up down the road. Mine is one solid piece of work,including the seal job with the HI Tech applicator gun and sealer they use on the roof.

The seagulls are the least of my worries here on the Cape. When I go down the road here in the boonies the trees tear into the top like crazy. I'm amazed at the scrapes on the roof.

I punchered the cargo box front corner this winter somehow. I go up and walk on it with ice and snow up there.
Rubber? I don't think so. Can't see it unless they back it well and maybe give a patch kit.

Posted By: kansasguide on 03/15/04 05:14pm

I just went through the same decision process and based upon what I have read here, I chose the 845 Lance Lite. I did find a dealer in Texas that wrote one heck of a deal that helped sweeten the deal though. I never actually got to see the Eagle Cap, just online. I've had rubber roofs on two 5th wheels and have had leaks but they're easy to fix and not too hard to find. We get a lot of hail in Kansas, so I thought the aluminum roof might fare better here.

From what everyone posts here, it sounds like they're both fine campers and only time will tell. I pick mine up next Saturday and I can't wait. Hope you had as much fun reading all of the posts as I did. You would think somebody said something about someone's mama with all the fur flying around here! Happy camping! Dan

ksguide
2004 F350 PStroke 4x4
Lance Lite 915
Rancho 9000

Posted By: NetBoy on 03/15/04 05:32pm

Quote:

my Eagle Cap has a 72" high door, same as the Lance i looked at... and my door is 4" wider than the Lance i looked at... and i'm 6'2" tall... try not jumping with excitement when you see the Eagle Cap, might help with the head...
Hehehehe... maybe that was it. It was a beautiful piece of work.

You know, I just measured my Lance door and it is just over 72" tall like you mentioned above, and that got me thinking about what you said. For all of us using our campers in the real world, we have steps that we go down steeply when we leave the camper, and that causes us to put our head down to look at the stairs as we go through the doorway -- and thus we miss hitting the top of the door. But at the RV and Sportsman shows, they usually have the camper sitting nearly on the ground, and they build a wooden porch that is level with the floor. So when you exit those, you don't need to bend your head down, and that often causes taller guys hit their head.

So now I think they are screwing up at the RV shows -- they should make their RV show porches about 8" lower than the camper floor, so you would have to bend your head down to look at the step when you go out, and that keep taller folks from hitting their head. I bet they lose a lot of business without even realizing it just by trying to make their RV show porch nice.

But no matter what the door deal is, the headroom in the Eagle Cap seemed a little close for me -- perhaps it is just because I am used to my camper, which has (according to the manual -- I haven't measured it) 6'-6" ceiling height. I'm about 6'-1", and I tend to be a little claustrophobic -- I feel a bit uncomfortable when the ceiling is close to my head and I have to duck things like the air conditioner and such.

Best wishes....

* This post was edited 03/15/04 05:39pm by NetBoy *

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/15/04 07:11pm

Great for you. With the F250 your better off with the 845. The 7.3 will be needed though. The 825 is very close to the 820 in respect to comfort. You can always pick up an extra propane tank,etc.you think you might need or like to have that didn't come with the camer.

The bottom line would be a "sweet deal" for me too.

After you've spent some time in it and have seen other campers you'll be here throwing some stuff around too. Ha.

You won't regret it and will have good resale value down the road.

Keep an eye on those lug nuts on your Ford if aluminum. Check for tightness often. And keep the tire pressure up to near max with an calibrated gauge. Napa has some. And all will be fine.

Enjoy it.

* This post was edited 03/15/04 07:19pm by Capt. Caper *

Posted By: BigBert on 03/15/04 08:50pm

Well, let me tell ya'

I'm 6'5" 280lbs and i have NO problems inside my Eagle Cap 950..........get the good stuff.

And for me that was an Eagle Cap !

2003 Chevrolet 2500 HD long bed 6.0 4.10 in the rear
air bags, honda 2000, rancho 9000,
2004 Eagle Cap 950 W/S
2006 Harley Davidson Road Glide
2002 Harley Davidson Low Rider
2004 Bombardier DS650
2004 Honda EX250

Posted By: BigBert on 03/15/04 09:03pm

Ops,
I forgot to say that the celing height is the same in all the Eagle Cap, 78"

Posted By: Less Stuff on 03/15/04 11:41pm

Hi BigBert,
I too am rather tall, 79". At 77" tall you only have 1" above your head in your Eagle Cap camper so you must not have or want AC. Most Lance campers have 82" of head room. So I can stand up under the AC.
Take Care

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/16/04 04:24am

950 isn't the same as 845 or 850.

Jim

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/16/04 04:26am

Not to mention getting up and out of bed.That's where the height is nice. The cabover area has more space between the floor and ceiling.

Posted By: pharaoh on 03/16/04 08:13am

Eagle Cap has a lot more room in the bed area than the Lance... and the reason the highth dif. inside is because of Eagle Cap's heated & enclosed holding tanks... something that Lance is just now catching on too...Finaly... you my have more head room, but i can use my Eagle Cap year round, instead of frezzzzing in the snow... and in the new lance with heated tanks, ceiling highth is the same as Eagle Cap... or else the camper would be over 12' tall like the "no low briges" Host camper

Posted By: bvrfvr on 03/29/04 01:22pm

Hey "pharaoh", you spell just about as "gud" as the other guy from Eagle Cap, I think I see a trend from that part of the state, duh. You better be careful when badmouthing other manufacturers...it all comes back 'round.

Posted By: eddyd on 03/29/04 04:11pm

Quote:

Hey "pharaoh", you spell just about as "gud" as the other guy from Eagle Cap, I think I see a trend from that part of the state, duh. You better be careful when badmouthing other manufacturers...it all comes back 'round.

Lighten up on the spell check professor…

Posted By: Capt. Caper on 03/16/04 04:45pm

I was in temps as low as 14 below zero this winter and perched on top of a mountain with no wind protection. The winds were gusting to about 40. Not to mention constant nites at or near zero.

How low have you been with that Eagle Cap Pharaoh ?

Posted By: NetBoy on 03/17/04 01:03am

Quote:

Eagle Cap has a lot more room in the bed area than the Lance... and the reason the highth dif. inside is because of Eagle Cap's heated & enclosed holding tanks... something that Lance is just now catching on too...Finaly... you my have more head room, but i can use my Eagle Cap year round, instead of frezzzzing in the snow... and in the new lance with heated tanks, ceiling highth is the same as Eagle Cap... or else the camper would be over 12' tall like the "no low briges" Host camper
Actually, it is apparent that you are not familiar with the Lance products. My 2000 Lance has factory heated tanks (a small furnace duct leads right to holding tank area). That feature has been part of a Lance options package for years. That package also includes front storm window, insulated ceiling vent covers, extra under-bed insulation, and other cool-weather stuff.

Regarding cool weather camping, I camped a number of times this December in high-20's and low 30's weather, and kept my Lance at 70 degrees with a little 1000w Cadet electric heater (supplied by shore power) that was only running about 1/2 time. The propane furnace, if needed, puts out much more heat than the Cadet, so I'm sure I could easily camp in considerably colder weather with no problem.

I know some of you camp in really cold weather, and I'm sure that is where some of the high-R value campers shine, but my Lance does just fine for the coldest snowy winter weather we get around here.

Cheers.....

Posted By: Beach Bum on 03/17/04 01:19am

Quote:

Talk about digress, we go from a thread talking about Lance 815 verses Eagle Cap 800 lite to 915 verses 950. Not to mention the eating habits of seagulls on the East Coast.
I hope you never encounter an east coast Seagull, they got real bad attitudes. I'd hate to see you get your condom, er, I mean roof pierced.

Posted By: Less Stuff on 03/16/04 10:47am

Hi pharaoh

We spent the Christmas holidays in our Lance Lite 915 with heated tanks. In fact we went through LeGrande on that trip. Going through Baker Oregon we recorded 5 degrees in the middle of the day. We had no frozzen pipes or tanks everything worked as it should.

Rule 1: You Don't Need A Basement In A Camper To Keep The Tanks From Freezing.

Rule 2: Basements take headroom away from the camper but increase headroom in the cabover.

Take Care

Posted By: eddyd on 03/16/04 11:03am

Talk about digress, we go from a thread talking about Lance 815 verses Eagle Cap 800 lite to 915 verses 950. Not to mention the eating habits of seagulls on the East Coast.

Posted By: pharaoh on 03/16/04 12:32pm

if that is so, why is Lance building basement modles to keep their tanks from freezing, and my Eagle Cap still has more head room in the overhead... so much for the rules ha?

Posted By: bvrfvr on 03/30/04 09:37am

Quote:

Quote:

Lighten up on the spell check professor…

You missed the point, Ed.

Print  |  Close