RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Thor California Tahoe Lite quality issues

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Thor California Tahoe Lite quality issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TravelerTM

Milpitas, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/04 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ongoing saga of Thor California attempting to correct the very small gray and black tanks on my Thor 22CB TT continues... They got closer to correcting the problem but, close is not succeeding.

New larger Inca plastics tanks were sent from Thor California to Family RV in San Jose, CA. These tanks, I was told were manufactured to be 26 or 27 gallons. Tank installation proceeded on April 27, 28, 29. I was called to pickup trailer, when I arrived at Family RV the story was put forth that the tanks seemed to sag in the top section, therefore don't try to fill beyond 2/3. Not acceptable, but I took the trailer home.

Here is the situation! 2/3 full sensor is on at about 17 gallons. Both tanks will hold 20 gallons without over flowing into bath tub or rising in the neck of toilet. Twenty gallons is twenty percent less than Thor California advertised. Full sensors can not be made to work, because tanks can not be filled to the level of full sensor. Also, there is a lot of very wet insulation under the floor in the area of the tanks, although I have not observed any leak. It has been two weeks since I picked up the trailer and the insulation under the trailer is still sopping wet! (tanks have been drained, have but a gallon or two of water in them). Close is a long way from successful. I also had to take the trailer back the next day, the toilet was rocking back and forth because it was 3/8th of an inch up off of the floor. That was tightened down, what is going on there remains to be found out.

I have given everyone involved an opportunity to correct the problem of the small tanks, they have failed. Not only have they failed, I am being looked upon as a problem customer and probably looked upon as a fool by Thor California and Family RV of San Jose. I have good company, I feel they look upon every customer as a fool!

The good news is I am not a fool! Based on what I have experienced with the Thor California product, I can not and will not recommend Thor products or Family RV. Thor in my opinion is not capable of consistently producing a free from major defects product. Their work force is not skilled, their management does not exercise any oversight whatsoever. They simply can not produce a good product. To be fair though, it seems reasonable to think an occasional unit comes off their production line defect free or nearly so. If you own a Thor California product, start looking at what you paid for and you will easily see the very poor workmanship - That is if you know what poor workmanship and defects look like. Start your Thor product survey with a holding tank capacity measured against advertised capacity.

As for Family RV, it is shameful they would try to pass off their lack of success as being acceptable performance. It is not!

It is my intent to purchase in the next year or so a 35 foot class A RV. I certainly will not make that purchase at Family RV, nor will that class A have a Thor name tag on it. In addition I will not recommend to my business associates an investment in the stock of any Thor company, it goes without saying I would not invest in stock of any Thor company.

Low quality consist of less expensive materials used in construction of a product. Defective is a product that is broken, will not work, parts installed incorrectly or not at all... Entry level does not mean, or should not mean defective.

The End...

TravelerTM

Redapple

CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/04 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelerTM,
I am very sorry to hear about your trailer woes. Things like that can be very maddening, and indeed cause ulcers, and great stress. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, and doing them the right way. I have a Wanderer 230FB, 2003 model year. I have not had a single problem with it. It is a low end trailer, so I can understand corner cutting, but not to the extent of creating unsafe conditions. In reading your plight, I decided to measure all 3 of my tanks. They meaured ok. My brother also has an Aerolite, going on 8 years old. Not a single problem with that one either. Maybe we are just lucky. I took the tour of the factory in Moreno Valley, CA, where the Wanderers and Tahoes are built. Seemed ok to me. I hope you can get all resolved quickly. Good Luck,
Bill

2006 Damon Daybreak 32ft
2007 Honda Accord Hybrid

ezrider6298

Conyers, Ga. Rockdale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/04 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a '98 Thor Wanderer that we bought used, and yes, there were problems with it that I was aware of before purchase, but I bought it anyway because the owner gave me a great deal to get rid of it, and I, being somewhat handy with various tools, felt I could repair anything that went wrong. Some of it was manufacturer related, most was due to poor upkeep. I have a "down" time during the winter months I use for major repair/renovations. I am suspect of any TT/mobile home construction because of the assembly line production, and their assembly personnel probably turn over pretty fast. I would think a new one should have given better service than what you got though for some period of time.

TravelerTM

Milpitas, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/04 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mamika, Don't give up on your dream! Do your inspection of the trailer and make the dealer do needed adjustments before accepting the trailer. If you encounter too many issues consider finding another dealer or a different trailer.

Thor California and Thor are to my understanding part of the same over all sales manufacturing group. The different Thor branded trailers were listed a few post back in this thread.

There is enough research material on this site to enable anyone to select a good RV, just follow the yellow brick road...

my TT problems came to pass because I relied on written information from Thor California, I trusted the dealer. Also, had I not looked at my trailer carefully the defects would not have been found and perhaps I would be happy with a defective Thor. Many people are quite happy with their RV because they have not discovered existing defects, maybe that is ok for them.

Live your dream and shop carefully. Trust your senses, may the force be with you.

TravelerTM

mamika

villa park illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/04 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am frustrated reading about your problems. We have a deposit on a Skamper to be picked up next week. Is Thor California the same as Thor? They are they makers of the Skamper. After reading about your problems I am ready to cancel our order. I have looked through the past posts looking for someone who has a Skamper and haven't found anyone. I posted a message looking for a Skamper owner and only one reply. Maybe it is a mistake to buy this camper since they don't seem too popular. It makes me wonder if the reason they aren't popular is that they are no good. This is our first travel trailer so it is hard to know what we should be looking for. We shopped looking for something we thought would be comfortable. I don't want to have a 15,000 dollar headache. I really am sorry to hear about your problems. Buying our new camper is like a dream come true having it turn into a nightmare is not something to look forward to.

martinc

Ontario, California, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/04 03:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased my Thor Tahoe Lite 19DT from Marjon, who are in the Mareno Valley area for 10+k out the door. It came loaded with all the options. I had previously never owned any kind of RV. I've towed it to Dayton, Ohio twice, Coeur D'Alene, Idaho three times, up and down the California coast, in and out of Oregon, over the Rockies, frequent trips to the desert and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

There have been a few issues:
1. a light fixture went bad (replaced it myself);
2. the shower will leak on to the bathroom floor if the trailer isn't tilted slightly toward the driver's side (adjusted my level accordingly
3. one of the bolts holding the floor board sheeting down to the frame worked its way up through the linoleum for whatever reason (had to slit the lino, tighten it down, then patch the lino -- a bit of a pain);
4. the stock tires started getting strange wear patterns pretty quickly out of the gate, one started bouncing badly. These were incredibly, horribly cheap tires I was to find out. I replaced them with Coopers within the first 5k miles and haven't had a problem since.

Everything else seems to have held up quite well to frequent use.

I hope you have a better experience than you have had with your next trailer.

Martin
2000 Thor Tahoe Lite 19DT
2000 Tundra V8
ARS: AC6RM

MCD3929

NORMAN, OK.

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I special ordered and purchased from Floyd's RV's in Norman, OK a 2005 34 Ft Tahoe Transport Fifth Wheel August 28, 2004. The trailer was late for delivery by 3 days and we took delivery with the understanding that when we got back they would fix anything that we found wrong with it. Bad idea never accept delivery with anything wrong with an RV. I found many things wrong and I would not have accepted this unit if I would have had time to wait. It's a toy hauler and the floor had staples coming through it, the front cap had bubbles that I thought were in the decal but turned out to be in the fiberglass, the gauges didn't read right on the black water, the tank was so full it fell out of the brackets and pulled everything loose, the hub caps are rusting, the fuel cell will only take fuel 1 or 2 cents at a time, or it blows fuel out all over you, the side door was warped and you could see daylight through it, the rear cargo door curtain had a torn zipper and one of the side curtains was broken. I took it to the dealer that we bought it from and they attemped to fix the problems. The front cap now looks like it's been in a wreck, the floor has molding all around it that doesn't match anything in the trailer, they used a 2x4 and bent the door back, they replaced the side curtain and installed it inside out. I complained and sennt Thor pictures of the front cap and the dealership called and told me to bring it back in and they would try to fix it again. I have no faith in them, they can even install a curtain. The dealer has treated us like we should be happy with what we got. Thor has tried to get this handled but it is very poor quaility control. I like the trailer and the options so I don't have buyers remorse. I think that Thor should pick up the unit and replace it. It has been at the dealership over a half theb time I had it.

sis&buck

Warrenton, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/04 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelerTM,

We also had some quality issue with our Surveyor but are in the process of getting them addressed. It is a pain the &%$ though having to get them addressed! Apart from small items that might need to be fixed after the first use, the trailer should be in a quality, new like, status when you buy it. We have a roof sag problem with ours (in addition to a host of other small items). The trailer will need to be sent back to the manufacturer after the camping season to have the roof replaced. This is on a NEW trailer. It should not have been accepted for delivery from the dealer let alone sold to a customer. When we brought the issue tp the dealer, his comment was "this is a common issue with trailer roofs". Lame. After showing 5 photos to Forest River, they immediately agreed it needed to be replaced and it wasn't right. We have been pleased with their customer service.

When we bought our Surveyor, we also needed to purchase a new TV. We ended up getting a Toyota Tundra. There was absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. I can't imagine a car dealer selling a car that had a dented roof, the cooloing line leaking, trim inside coming loose, one door trim not matching the other. That dealer would be in the soup line in a week!

In the DC area, we have something called "7 On Your Side". The channel 7 news will investigate your consumer issue and air it if it is good. Do you have something like that in your state? With all of the appauling quality issues in the RV industry and at your dealer, it would make a very nice news story!

Best of luck in getting your stuff fixed.

Rick

Rick, Colleen, Andrew & Nick
2004 Forest River Surveyor - SV291
2004 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab, V8

KMDoud

Lacey WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/04 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey TravelerTM,
Have you tried writing into Chuck Campbell in the Trailer Life magazine? He writes and investigates peoples problems in a department called "RV Action Hotline". It sounds like your story would be something he could help with. Most companies dont like their name being being published in a national magazine and would probably want to make things right for you. They sold you a lemon.

He wants reciepts, dates, copies of letters, names, and any other correspondence with the company so he can investigate.

I also looked at Thor products up here in WA state.. The quaility issue made us turn around as soon as we stepped into the trailer. Molding falling off, particle board pieces on the floor...

We bought a 2004 Skyline Nomad 25 bunkhouse for $14,200... SO far so good.. (fingers crossed)

Good luck with your troubles. I wish you the best...

Kevin D
Olympia WA

stoke

katy tx

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/04 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting a bit of soft wood in front of my camper. I think it might be from one of the drain holes at the front pop out. The soft spot is in the front storage compartment. I was thinking of caulking over the hole. It is just happening on the one side. I have only had the camper about a week and did not notice the soft spot when I bought it. any advice you could give me would be great.
Thanks

[b]stoke thor dt19

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Thor California Tahoe Lite quality issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS