RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the best used Class C motorhome for under $10,000

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> What is the best used Class C motorhome for under $10,000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Greddy0

Hercules, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/04 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, I'm new to RVing and am looking to get a class C motorhome. Currently my family consist of my wife, myself and 2 daughters (3 and 1 years old). We sometime take my parent on mini-vacations so the count is 4 adults and 2 children. My budget is $10,000. What motorhome do you guys think will best fit my needs and be within my budget? I've seen some used models but not sure what I really am looking for (they all basically have the same setup). Thanks all for your advice =)

1997 RoadTrek Popular 170

bagman

L.K.M.

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/04 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck, you'll need it trying to find a class C for under $10,000.00 that will transport your whole family! Bagman.

Trying To Survive In The L.K.M.

O'Neill

Orange County, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/04 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased my motorhome 4 years ago, $ 10,500.00, from the original owner, its been a great coach, no problems and was cleaner than some coaches 10 years newer. I did have to look at a lot of junk before stumbling across this one. Its 26 ft. and sleeps 5. You stated your family has 4 people in it and a parent...as in 1 parent?
A typical class c (min. 29 ft.) will usually sleep 2 on the overhead, 1 on the dinette that makes into a bed, if it has a couch across from it 1 there, and if there is a bed in the back 2.
I suggest you take your time, learn all about the mechanics of motorhomes, so you will know what to look for and what to avoid.
Stuff like, how old is the fridge (replacement about 1300.00), how solid is the floor (is there soft spots), age of the tires (typically lifespan is 5-7 max). Good luck!

1996 34' Rexhall Aerbus XL3400, F-53 w/Tag-Axle
Banks Powerpack and Transcommand.
FMCA F46484s

Kuma

All across the USA and Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/04 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally agree with bagman! I also think you'll have a very hard time finding what you want for 10 thousand or under. This link is to a consignment seller in Houston TX just for the examples. Look at the selection, the prices (and for the most part they are pretty GOOD prices), and compare with your needs (4 adults 2 children)! It's going to be tough... Good luck!!!

Arctic Fox (SFE) 29-5E 5th Wheel
25K Air Safe Hitch / Prodigy controller
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, SRW, Extended Cab, Long Bed
8.lL Vortec, Allison 6 Speed Tranny

Camping Dutchman

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/04 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your eyes open, there out there despite what these jokers say, I would go at least 29'-31' for the room as your kids grow. No sense making it a lousy tight experience with something small. If your patient you will find what your looking for.

2008 Chevy 3500 cc DRW Duramax
2009 Cedar Creek Silverback 35L4QBS
Pull Rite 20.5 super 5th

2004 United Specialties Sold
stop by, theres always a seat by the fire

Member:Good Sam Club Haulin Highlanders

chasfm11

Dallas/Ft Worth Areas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/04 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rented a couple of Class Cs before buying. On one trip with a 27 footer, we had 4 adults and it was "cozy". Your kids are pretty young and adding them to that mix would be "very cozy". The 30 footer that we rented afterwards had a sofa instead of a swivel chair behind the cab and a little more room to move it.

Before you attempt to buy anything, I'd suggest trying a rental. Even for a long weekend, it will give you a much better idea of what you need that you currently have. I think you will still be faced with a problem of buying something reliable that you can afford on your budget but it should help you to understand why you need more budget.

There should be rental outlets in your area. You might want to try searching the internet phone book.

Good luck.

Charlie

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/04 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are Class C's in your price range that are not junk, so don't buy into spending what you are not comfortable with. You will find more offerings though if you can live with a shorter body.

I found that the overall design of Class C's really hasn't changed except for the bells and whistles. There's only so much you can put in a box, so look around at a few newer ones to get a feel for what size you can live with. Appliances along with plumbing and roofing, are some topics that will apply to other types of RV's as well. Read everything you can get your hands on about the Rv part of the Class C, and evaluate the van part as a separate vehicle.

I too was a first time inexperienced buyer. The most important advice I was given was to steer away from rigs that have set without being used. Get one that is currently inspected and is being used on a regular basis. You may have to give on the make and model, but if you stay with models that were popular and still show well, you will lose little if any depreciation.

There are gobs of posts that give good advice for buying used Rv's. Do a little searching and pick up on the things important to you, then have fun looking.

Happy hunting, and good luck.

Michael.

Michael, Kay, and Prissy (The vicious 6 pound Malti-Poo)
'05 Coachmen SportsCoach SE 372DS a.k.a. "Mana's Cabana"

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 02:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that if you look and look and look you can find a reasonably decent one for $10k. However it will need work of some sort and most likely, on the average, need probably $2,000 spent right away. Tires, refrigerator, a/c, batteries, etc etc etc.

A coach of that age will need lots of work. Not only just right away as soon as you get it, but also month after month after month. If your budget allows you may be able to pay someone for parts and labor. However it sounds like you don't have that sort of financial resource. You'd better have tools, time and aptitude and creativity.

However, I can just about guarantee you, no matter what else you do with your lifestyle and finances, you'd better have a minimum of $3,000 dollars set aside as a reserve fund for your RV ( and nothing else for this money to be spent on) and the ability to add to it at the rate of $250.00 to maybe $300.00 a month, every month, year after year. These things are just flatout expensive and cash intensive.

This money is not for gasoline, insurance, gee-gaws, or going on vacation. It's strictly to make, and keep, it inhabitable and roadworthy and comfortable.

My very best wishes to you, may you enjoy.

OkieGene

Bob-88Bounder

Oxnard, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check ebay. There are 108 class c motorhomes there right now. See if any are in your area close enough to check out.

Bob
88 Bounder -34'
Daily Journal (Blog) started Jan 1, 2005 and RV articles

jenonajourney

Temporarily located and dreaming of fulltiming!

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/04 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know quite a few people that have found a used Class C to fit within the budget you mention of $10,000.00 and the rvs they purchased are NICE! You may not get a newer RV but depending on how much care the former owners gave the vehicle you can get what you are looking for. True, you may have to look through a great number of rvs and you may have to start out small for the number you are looking to share the unit with, but if you are not going to fulltime in it then you should find something that will fit your desire. I have looked a LOT of rvs over in my dreaming stage and some are wonderful and others are.....well.....not what I would want.
Good Luck with your search!

Jen (a wannabe rver)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> What is the best used Class C motorhome for under $10,000
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: