|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Rules of the road in a Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LifelongDream

Sandown, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/04 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm about to embark on our longest journey yet -- from NH to the Great Smoky Mountains (we've only had our Fourwinds 29' for about a year now). Since roadside weigh stations in New England are rarely open, it's never been an issue for us, but are we required to pull into weigh stations that tend to be open in other parts of the country? Is a Class C considered a truck for this purpose?

While we're on that subject, should I stay out of the lanes that sometimes prohibit trucks?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Sorney1

MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't stop and they haven't chased me down yet.

wayhamm

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recreational vehicles are not required to pull into weigh stations nor am I aware of their being subject to lane restrictions.

1999 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX
Cummins M11 450hp/Allison 6 spd
2005 Honda Pilot Toad

jbbjjbt

Gloucester, VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never pulled into weigh stations but I generally follow the lane restrictions. The lane restrictions are generally there for a reason.

Jon T

1999 Tioga 31T Class C on Ford E450 Chassis

M Quinn

New Jersey USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I questioned the same thing at first. On my first approach I remember fighting the feeling of thinking I should pull in and decided to pass by, look for RVs in the station, and prepare to be pulled over by armed and dangerous men/women. I didn't get stopped and there were no RVs in the station. While passing the next few I happened to be around other Rvs, none of which stopped. I have yet to see an RV in a weigh station. If you ever did get stopped play dumb. I can give you free lessons, I'm good at it for some reason .

Moral of the story, I look for propane check points when approaching bridges and tunnels.

I'ved also used the fast/passing lane on three lane highways. I just dont stay out there long.

Have fun, it's a great way of life.

nanatimestwo

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/04 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four years of driving my motorhome, and I haven't pulled into a weigh station, and to my knowledge, it is not required. However, I've been told by seasoned campers to observe other truck regulations. On the New Jersey Turnpike, make sure you stay in the truck lanes, not the "cars only" lanes. When you pull into a road stop for a break or gas, stay out of the "cars only" sections...the size of our vehicles puts us into a truck category. Many areas have signs indicating trucks, buses, campers. There is one exception in NJ, and that is, the Garden State Parkway does not allow trucks on the northern section, but motohomes are allowed on the entire length. In all states, observe the Hazardous Waste (propane is in that category) rules on bridges and in tunnels (most tunnels do not allow propane through).
It pays to pay attention to signs and it doesn't pay to play stupid.
Have a safe journey.

Hold fast to dreams,
for if dreams die,
life is a broken-winged bird
that cannot fly.
Langston Hughes

Cape Westy & Ditto

Cape Cod MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Jersey Turnpike you say???? Our first long trip in our Class-C, driving rain, traffic stacked up at the toll booth, darkness decending. I didn't see the small hanging overhead sign that read NO TRAILERS until it was too late. I was already about the third vehicle from the booth when I saw it. We had a short discussion as to whether we could fit under the sign, not that we had any other option at this point, and decided to go for it....albeit slowly. We completely shattered the air conditioner shroud and winged the top of the ladder. We were really lucky we didn't do any damage to the A/C.

We try to observe the truck rules, mostly stay out of the passing lanes when they don't allow trucks, use the slow lanes on a long hill and give trucks the room they need. As far as stopping at weigh stations, that's only for trucks that are hauling commercially.

Good luck on your journey, try to relax, take deep breaths when you get nervous and have fun.
Happy Trails

Jonny 31C

Stevenson, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/04 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The weigh stations are only for those vehicles that are DOT tagged. A vehicle has to be DOT tagged and has to follow ALL of the rules of the DOT(there are a million regulations)if the GVW is over 26,000 lbs or is used for interstate commerce. Actually if the vehicle is over 26,000 lbs you must have a CDL to drive it.
Jonny

Jonny
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
2 amazing kids, 2 beagles

Clemkad

Boston area, Massachusetts, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/04 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll add my experience but no definitive answer. I don't think there is one. "No Trucks" is a sign that I have yet to find out the legal definition even after asking two police officer friends.

When I obey "No Trucks": What I have found is that if "No Trucks" is qualified with "hazardous cargo", a weight limit, height limit, width limit, or similar restriction, I need to obey it. I've seen "No Trucks" signs that also specifically list trailers, RVs, and/or busses. "Cars Only" is another clear indication that RVs shouldn't be there.

When I ignore the sign: "No Trucks" without any other explanation doesn't apply to RVs. "No Commercial Vehicles" doesn't apply to RVs. "Trucks excluded from left lane" tells me I shouldn't hang there but I am allowed. I see busses in these lanes when so marked. "All Trucks" or "All commercial vehicles" at an inspection/weigh point do not apply to RVs.

It is very hard to separate a legal declaration from a safety one. There is a street between Lynnfield and Saugus MA (Walnut St.) that on the Lynnfield end says "No vehicle over 4 tons" and on the Saugus end says "No Trucks". There are no tunnels/bridges or other physical impediments in this stretch. I have no idea if this applies to my RV or not.

2000 Coachmen Santara Class C 315QB
2002 Dodge Neon SXT

MarleneN

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/04 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, you don't have to go through the weigh stations. Nor here in Canada either. You do however, pay the "truck" rate for tolls on the NY toll road anyway!

2005 Jayco Greyhawk, 27DS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Rules of the road in a Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS