RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 61  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
setraveler

SE usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/11 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOTE lookers, we spent last week looking at some used units. BIG DEAL we found was, besides hour on Diesel is important due to nearly mandatory very expensive overhauls. BIG deal is HOW DID systems with water or moisture make it over the winter. Pressurized one water system and it looked like it was a mobile sprinkler systems, water leaked everywhere, was not an issue on the pump, but when pressure built up.. messy. Be very careful of how a unit spent winter as big dollar repairs there. Same applies to ANYTHING that has water or moisture in any manner associate with it, even "condensation" build ups in vacuum engine-brake etc systems and like. Make sure ALL of them OK and run.

Austin Mini

Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/11 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ive narrowed my search down for a used Class A. I'm going to go with a 2001 or 2002 Winnebego Adventurer 32 foot gas MH. Now the 01' I found has 41,000 miles on a Triton V10, and the 02' I found has 13,000 miles on a Chevy/Workhorse. The thing is I'm not at all familiar with the Chevy motor because all i have looked at have had the Triton V10. They are both the same price (at different dealers) Both are in really clean condition. I know you can't tell me which one to buy; but I was curious about those who may have had the Chevy setup vs the big Triton Ford. Any constructive criticism is welcomed. I'm completely new to RVs; so the voice of experience counts alot!

1 note to add. I'm not really a Chevy fan. I've owned 2 Chevy pickups and had trouble with both of them. But then again I've had 1 Ford pickup, and had trouble with that too. I'm mostly a Dodge guy when it comes to pickup trucks. The big motors pulling big weights may be different as far as dependability; I dunno

* This post was last edited 04/28/11 07:23pm by Austin Mini *   View edit history

Don't worry....It is better to have had and lost; than to never have had at all. Every day; you are making future memories

Mcirishlady

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/11 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 36' class C 2 years ago and now are interested in a Class A. My question is I still want to stay with a 36' or 38' because I don't think I would be comfortable driving a 40'. Any thoughts on the length of motorhome? Some have said that a 36' would have more of a kick out when turning than a 40'. And they have said if you're comfortable driving a 36' a 40' would not be any different. Need input.

Belles and Buster

Gilbert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/11 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can say is THANK YOU!!
This post helped us buy our first RV, and get exactly what we needed.

We were shopping around, thinking about being able to just load up the dogs and go, without having to plan too much, or put send the dogs out to boarding.
We thought we couldn't afford a new model and were looking at used, but after reading this post - from beginning to end, we did our homework, made a list of the things we NEEDED and found a great NEW 2012 model with everything we needed, and at the right price, the first time.

The 2 things that stuck with us.
1) Do we want to get something we won't be happy with and trade up in 2 years after we have learned from our mistake - get what you need the first time if you can. (so we bit the bullet a little harder)

2) Make a list of what is important to you and go find it.
* I work from home a lot, so if I have internet, I can go on the road, so a laptop table and stowage in the dash was high on the list.
* Belles likes to cook, so a large kitchen bench & extender was needed.
* East West bed with slide
* Dual A/C with 5.5k Generator
* Midship TV

Ta Daaaaaaaaa..... 2012 Fourwinds (Thor) Hurricane 32a and a new lifestyle!! YAY!!

pkillam

MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/11 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I started our MH search about two months ago. We are concerned about the length of the MH. We are going to travel around the country and would like to stop at state and federal parks. We were told that anything longer than a 32' MH is not allowed in the parks.
Is this true, and are there any other length restrictions we should be aware of??

Paul

owreeder

AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/11 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time motorhome buyer. Found one on the Internet in another state about 1000 miles away. It is for sale by an individual who buys and sells one or two at a time. I have no reason to distrust him, but I need to know how to make a good decision and safe buy. Is there a step by step to go about this? What is the best type mechanic for a big Cummins diesel and the drivetrain? Who best to check out the coach? Is there an extended warranty - bumper to bumper - that is very reputable? Is there something similar to a title company which would handle the sale and make sure the title is proper and clear of liens and owned by the seller? Any suggestions by those who have experience in this area would be appreciated.

DarrinM

Troy, OH

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently picked up a brand new Winnebago Journey Express Class A Diesel Motorhome from and Ohio RV dealer and couldn't be more happy.

As a first time buyer, we took a big step by purchasing a Class A but we couldn't be more happy with the end result.

A huge thanks to Winnebago for delivering such a quality Class A.

Corsair1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/11 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for this thread. Initial article on how to buy a motor home, and inputs from owners to my questions. I flew and looked at a 2005 Pace Arrow and decided to walk away based on some of this knowledge. My wife likes the layout of the 2009 Pace Arrow, so I have begun searching them out now. That is the year PA went bankrupt, correct? Was there any major issues with the PA 38P? Anyone own one and have any input? Thanks in advance.

OutdoorBry

Fort McMurray

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/11 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are planning to take a year off and travel around North America with our two boys. Wondering if a Class A is the right choice for the trip. A bit worried about the size and whether I will be able to get into all areas around our huge continent?

I will need something that is strong enough to be in all year. Planning on being south once the winter months kick in so not too worried about winter issues.

What would you do if you had the choice?

Thanks

ULTRA CLASSIC 2010

NEW JERSEY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/11 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SO JOHNNY T, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU BUY. I AM A LATE BLOOMER TO RV'S AND MOTOR HOMES. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT MFG., SIZE, SPECS; I.E. ENGING TRANSMISSION ETC.

I am going through much of the process you describe, in my head. I like your thinking; however, do not have the patients for the yata. This site is a God send.

Thank You so much

Ron

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 61  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: