RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 62  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
The Wynn's

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class A motorhomes are best if you are going to log a lot of miles and want to be comfortable. The seats are nice and windows are bigger. I couldn't imagine doing the trip we are on without a class A. If you are just a weekender or short trips here and there RVer, another class of RV would be fine.

Go outside and play!

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/11 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Wynn's wrote:

Class A motorhomes are best if you are going to log a lot of miles and want to be comfortable. The seats are nice and windows are bigger. I couldn't imagine doing the trip we are on without a class A. If you are just a weekender or short trips here and there RVer, another class of RV would be fine.

I am sure there are others who can make a strong case for a Class C or even B. Needs and wants vary.

RaviAuto

jaipur

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/11 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really nice information dear. you have great job. i think this information is sufficient for us to increase our knowledge....

samike

San Antonio TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/11 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello friends I am not a first time buyer ,I have owned a smaller class C and a 2000 32' winnebago brave class A gasser. I have been out of the M/h life for 7 years and am now looking to buy a used A.Don't know if I need a diesel or not but am looking at both.I saw a 1996 36'Fleetwood Discovery in TX. and would like some input on it.$22995.not sure of mileage yet.It has a 230 hp eng,is that enough to giterdone?
Also what brands Gas or diesel would have bunk or single beds in used units.
Thanks

LongWeekends

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/11 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info throughout this entire thread! We spent the last four years renting. We started with a very nice C, then a Super C, Gas A then finally a DP. After renting and reading great info here, we decided on a DP. With our budget we had to go a few years older but wound up with a great deal on an '04 37' Coachmen Cross Country.

Perhaps it is more than we need right now but three things ultimately put us into a DP. One, the ride & comfort of a diesel. Two, the ease of towing with it. Three, by stepping up now we don't have to upgrade in a few years to a bigger coach. That was our thought process. Opinions may vary :-)

Thanks again for all the information.

Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.
2004 Coachmen Cross Country
370DS - 300HP - 2 Slides

TxRoadRunner61

tx

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are thinking about upgrading to a Class A motorhome from a Fifth Wheel RV. Loved this post for the thought provoking post that started it.

My question is this. Is there somewhere that you can find specifications for each of these motorhomes on the market? I have been to the websites for the manufacturers and all that i have found so far is "fluff stuff", several picture showing the attractive interiors etc.

It would also be nice if there was a website that compared the motorhomes by class without having to wade through so many forums. Is there anything like that out there?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give with this expensive endeavor.

Thanks.

mcardoza

Flagler Beach, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/11 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxRoadRunner,
Good luck with your search I'm on a similar journey.
I've found a site that does ratings but only as far back as 2000.
(RV Consumer Group)they are expensive but I think when you get to the purchase part it will be short $$ for a large amount of info.
can't wait to get my class A.

ClaraCamper

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.RV123.com lists thousands of RVs from all over the US. It's always free to browse the listings on the site. You can look up dealers and find directions to store to pick up parts and accessories. That's not all. We also list campgrounds, rallies, RV shows and news going on across the nation. If you're shopping for you're next RV or simply looking for your next travel destination, visit RV123, we're only a click away!

Silverado6x6

Wasilla, Alaska USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just registered here and saw this forum as I have just bought my first RV, I came into it by accident and was not planning on buying one but this RV I am very familiar with.
Last year here in Alaska where I am head of operations for a concrete batch plant the owner brought to me for my mechanical expertise a problem class A Pace Arrow, I believe its a 1990 or possibly a year or two newer, its a single rear axle possibly about 30-33' long.
First off was problems with the batteries, problems with the fuel system for the Ford 460 and then poor brake performance, the roof was in terrible shape and had some water damage into the walls.

Replaced the batteries, new starter, new in tank fuel pump, new pump for the brakes, new brake pads front and rear, spent a considerable amount of time on the roof, stripped out all the caulk and resealed the roof, made a custom aluminum frame and installed a four panel 160 watt solar panel array and wired it into a voltage controller.

Interior wise it was in great shape for the age of it, the owner wanted a smaller separate inverter for a bedroom bluray player and an LCD screen, replaced a bad toilet, repaired broken plastic panels in the shower, installed an automatic roof vent in main area, installed a new in dash sound system, I could go on and on but basically I performed a multitude of minor repairs as needed as this coach had been in outside storage in Alaska for several years. It actually belonged to the owners daughter and she hardly drove it anywhere.

The owner then drove it to Yuma Arizona to his winter ranch, the trip down the Alaska highway caused some problems, a leaky radiator and electrical glitches from the gennie and the inverter, one flat tire.

Otherwise it ran very good, now he flies back and forth a lot and often drives from AZ to AK in the fall and in the spring but at his age he doesn't want to do it anymore, plus is of course the fuel costs.

(sorry about the long history post)

Myself I am 55, a master mechanic and I have several TT's in my yard and I have worked on RV's many times. All the time I was reconditioning this Pace Arrow I asked if he would sell it, no he says, now after he takes it to Yuma he says yes and we have a gentlemens agreement and I said I will buy it, the price is fair especially when I consider all the materials and time I spent on it while being paid to do so.

Being a seasonal worker and having from 4-6 months being laid off every winter I have had fantasies about having a place to stay in Florida for the winter, its only about a 2000 mile trip to say around Orlando from Yuma and I think I could just find a decent storage lot with good security, keep it there for the summer and then fly down during the winter and then have my vacation or a working vacation as I also really want to start a sailing boat project.

Now I have seen many an affordable RV listed on Craigslist in Florida but this coach has been worked on by me and I know it inside and out, I don't plan on actually driving it around a lot but its nice to be able to be more mobile, also I can use it to haul my motorcycle around as well. That is what I would do first and that is to ride down south on the bike, its a big Yamaha cruiser and then get a nice enclosed trailer to take it from there to Florida, I really don't get any riding time in Alaska, especially during the winter.

I ccould just keep in in Yuma and then center my winter time in CA but the boat project I have in mind is better off in Florida, more choices there and cheaper as well.

Anyhow, thats it.

* This post was edited 01/31/12 05:51pm by Silverado6x6 *

beech90

New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love this site! This is a great post. I have made a few posts and have had excellent responses and advice! There is a lot of great information on this post. I am in the process of trying to buy my first DP. I currently have a F450 and a 4 horse with 18’LQ. We are traveling farther and farther for our daughter’s shows and want to upgrade for more space. I recently test drove several DPs and really liked those with tag axels. I have lists of my check lists and continue to add to it. I put everything into one Excel Spreadsheet and have about 12 different tabs. I have found many that I like but I am trying to narrow it down using my lists of needs, wants and priorities. Here are a couple that are close to meeting my needs.
• 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus
• 2007 Newmar Dutch Star 4320 (most expensive but closest to all needs)
• 2005 Country Coach Allure 430 Hood River
• 2002 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
• 2002 Monaco EXECUTIVE 43PBT

Does anyone have any feedback or comments on the above? Thanks, Scott

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 62  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts