RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 61  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ofrogers

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello folks, I am a brand new owner of a very special RV. My wife had polio and now post-polio syndrome so we needed a special RV. We finally found one. It already has the lift, handicapped shower, handicapped toilet, and is BIG.

Now, suggestions. My son and I pick it up in Florida on Saturday and drive it back to North Carolina. It is empty of furniture and we will spend the next few weeks filling it up with stuff before we go on any adventure...from the site I gather we will spend the first night on our farm.

Need ideas on: books, web sites, equipment, things to take or not take, equipment to add, etc, etc,etc.

The RV is a 2006 Prevost with a left front slide, basic cabinets(I am a woodworker so I will add other items) and nothing else. Our best friend is an RV mechanic and has a similar RV.

I am all ears. Thanks.

riggarob

Farmington, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new rig, and I'm glad your wife gets to see the good old US of A ! Stick to this forum for advise, it's (IMHO) the best place for ANY info. Robbie

08 FW Providence 40X
FL-XCS chassis
46"LED,Blu-ray 5.1
Ready Brute tow bar/braking/break away system & wireless light bar
'11 Ford Edge AWD toad
2 Honda 2000s for 30 amp dry camp
&300 watts of solar

Beware of those who point their finger the LOUDEST !

handyssc2

Southern Pines

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/12 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BEING A GOOD NEIGHBOR

Uh oh. We have problems. We are new owners and just moved to a small town and parked our motorhome in the new gravel pad driveway we had laid down. It is quite visible above the 6' fence between our house and our neighbors. They are not too pleased with their new backyard view. We want to be good neighbors. Any recommendations?

handyssc2

Southern Pines

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/12 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

handyssc2 wrote:

BEING A GOOD NEIGHBOR

Uh oh. We have problems. We are new owners and just moved to a small town and parked our motorhome in the new gravel pad driveway we had laid down. It is quite visible above the 6' fence between our house and our neighbors. They are not too pleased with their new backyard view. We want to be good neighbors. Any recommendations?

tomjackson

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/12 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too agree with mrwacky. Your post here will educate some and allow others to now understand why some buyers have a happy ending and others a nightmare. This post had raised more questions than it answers which in part was the intent.

picasoflake

Perth

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/12 01:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Family size must be consider while purchase any kind on motor home.

floridasands

tallahassee, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/13 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! Thank you sooooo MUCH for the info!!! I have my list and am very greatfull!!

bobphoenix

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/13 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

handyssc2 wrote:

handyssc2 wrote:

BEING A GOOD NEIGHBOR

Handy,
It's understandable that you want to "blend" as a new neighbor but there are limits to trying to pacify your neighbors...

As a former Code Enforcement officer I have often been asked to intervene in neighbor disputes with RV's and Boats. But, as far as who's "rights" have been wronged... it really comes down to what your local codes say...

I can say, that most of the cities I have worked in have the same rules... "Boats and RVs can not be in front of the front line of the house and must be screend from view by means of an opaque screening..." That's pretty standard... Most times, the "screening" consists of a 6 foot high fence...

So, if you were in my city, I would tell your neighbor that you are meeting the code and to try to have patience... But, in doing my job I would have to tell you about your neighbor's complaint...
But... I might also say to you to "think about" getting a cover, (maybe, but not always...) because with the fence there is no code violation... and... Oh, and maybe try inviting your neighbor over for a cook out in the near future...

Good will goes a long way in neighborhoods and tall fences do not always, good neighbors make... (But, good cooking does...)
Good luck!

"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis and Clark expedition."
~ Dave Barry

2000 Coachmen CATALINA MILLENNIUM EDITION, Class A - Gas

setraveler

SE usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOTE I learned from buying new boat applies to RV, used or new. The operations and owner manual are critical to use. BEFORE you close deal, make part of closing/title etc this. ALL operations/owner manuals will be placed on or beside the item(S) they apply to, work with, etc. Then each item will be shown by seller as to operation, maintaining, manuals etc until you KNOW, or both of you KNOW how to operate/maintain them.

If you do not do this, you end up with a stack of paper that may or may not be there when you need it, may or may not apply to your model or they just do not have the manuals. You will some day find you need the manual, that you never got, so insist on manual next to item and remove when you know how to operate. Kind of takes care of two critical items at one time.
I learned lesson the hard way on a diesel filter on engine that seemed to only shut off when nearly wrecking place while docking, usually in front of hundreds of people whom wondered how come I even allowed to own boat, much less use it. Seems the valve I thought was shut, was not 100% so and sucked air when it felt like it at idle. I found that out when I bought missing manual

floridasands

tallahassee, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/13 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent advice!!!!! Thanks so much!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 61  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> First Time Buyer...Updated 03/06/2006
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes