|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Internet Chat Rooms

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
tomdrobin

Perry, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/04 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many of you have participated in internet chat rooms? Long ago when I first got set up with the ISP, I tried the chat room thing out. It seemed that every room I went too was just a bunch of people exchanging meaningless one liners. It kind of reminded me of the old days when CB radio was popular. This was true of even the chat rooms that were supposed to be geared towards specific interests like camping, automobiles etc. I have found the forums much more interesting. You can read what someone has to say, and then post a well thought out reasoned and informative response. This type of social or "E" interaction is very stimulating mentally. Particularly of it concerns common interests that most people share, like issues of the day.

2011 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3, 6 spd auto, 3.42
2000 Jayco Qwest 30'

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/04 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with that completely. Some people like it, but not me, too fast and light. My son is into that with his friends and will have half a dozen chats going at once. When I walk by he hides them because I've commented so many times on how inane it is.

Not that it can't be useful. He sometimes gets on a chat to find directions or ask a technical question about a skateboard trick. Technical, heck, we use M$ Instant Messenger all day long at work. I'm a developer and third tier behind tech support and help desk and we do everything by IM, easier to cut and paste techncal details than to speak them over a phone.

Some forum software I've been investigating allows you to bounce between forum posts and chat with on-line members. That might be interesting.

CampfireSoapbox.com

FloridaNomads

Old Town, Florida USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/04 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like or participate in chat rooms. But I do use the voice capability of yahoo. I have a few friends and family around the world, and we talk over yahoo. You can do it one on one or have conference chats where several people can talk. I guess I like this method of chatting as it is similar to my old ham radio days. I have one friend that I have talked to almost every day or at least once a week for the last 5 or 6 years using yahoo. It was pretty bad and unreliable when we first started but is excellent now days....

Ray K4DAB and Judy KB5GXI Wallace
29.68555N 083.03008W
2002 Dura/Max/allison super crew 4x4.
Reese 16k Kwik slide
Montana 2001 2955RLS two slides.

ngc1514

Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/04 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with anything else in the world - there are good chat rooms and bad ones. The good ones are directed by a specific topic of information. I join an occasional chat room for astronomy and most of the discussion is about astronomy, telescopes and observing.

The biggest hassle is finding rooms that cater to topics you enjoy. My own opinion is I detest JAVA based chat rooms or pre-packaged rooms like Yahoo or IM. If you really want to get into the interesting rooms, download a copy of mIRC and see what you can find on IRC - Internet Relay Chat. IRC is the granddaddy of chatrooms and has been around almost as long as the internet. There are a ton of different chat domains - some with only a few rooms and others with thousands. Some rooms are moderated, but most are not. IRC is not for the faint of heart!

Eric
2003 Outback 25FB

Photos: ericpix.net

There are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who know binary and those who don't.

=========================

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/04 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came across this thread in setting up chat room "tunnels" between my MSN Open Roads Singles website and others within MSN Groups. By right clicking on the link and selecting "Open in a new window", members can be in more than one chat room at the same time, if also a member of the other website. So far I am setting it up to http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum and http://groups.msn.com/RVLifestyle. Are there any others that would like to be included?

If interested, PM me to set it up.

have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/04 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chat rooms are ok one on one, but 3 becomes a crowd ( 2 talk to each other), and more than that becomes endless double-entendre...who is the cleverest wit.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kajtek1

CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/04 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As everything in life, chartrooms are not for everybody.
I am member (?) of Polish chat room, that in organizing several rallies a year. Being 6000 miles away, I attended 2 only. My wife was active there too. There are at least 3 marriages I know about, where the couple met on this chartroom. It lost the impact, probably like most of new things in our life. Some members moved to ultimate chat room:
PalTalk allows not only to hear others and be heard, but also to see them (what not always is a good thing). Adult rooms are for some only and if you find boring company, you can always play them good music.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Internet Chat Rooms
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS