|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Monaco Diplomat Storage Door

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MidTNDawg

Palmyra, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/04 02:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After unlocking the storage compartment door, I pulled the release handle, but it still won't open. Apparently the "bolt" is broken and not being released by the mechanism. Any suggestions as to how to open the door so I can repair the lock?

Doug
James 4:17
2000 Diplomat
67 VW 113

Pull-Tab

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/04 03:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, I have a Monaco Knight which probably uses the same door and lock. I also have a door that sticks. I have to push in on the door then lift the handle and it comes open no problem but otherwise it feels exactly like it is locked. Good luck.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel/Heartland Bighorn 2925/Garmin 2610 GPS/
Rally attendance "10"

Pull-Tab

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/04 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, thanks for the tip on adjusting my lock. Sorry it couldn't be the fix for yours. Doesn't really seem to be a good way to access the compartment short of cutting a hole thru the bottom of compartment or just busting the lock open and replacing it. Surely that will only create its own set of problems. Good luck.

jwmII

out west

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/04 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you access the door inside from another compartment? If so you can release it from the inside. If the compartment is not accessible from an adjoining compartment and the latch won't release you may have to drill out the lock assembly to be able to get a screwdriver in there to turn and release it. The suggestion to push it in while trying to release it is a good one and does frequently work. Jack.

MidTNDawg

Palmyra, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/04 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again, pushing in is what I did before. The lock is broken! There is no question about that, and Monaco is aware of the design problem. I don't know if the design has been changed or not on later models. My brother's 2003 Safari Zanzibar does have different locks, but they may be using the Safari / Beaver design they used before being acquired.

MidTNDawg

Palmyra, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/04 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knightab, I wish this was the answer. What you describe is what mine was doing before it broke. BTW, both my dealer and Monaco agree it is broken, and neither of them have a real answer on what to do. A suggestion from me to you would be to loosen the u-bolt a tad to relieve some of the pressure so you do not have to push the door in. The "bolt", "striker" or whatever you may call it is made of plastic, and per the Monaco C/S rep not the most durable part of the coach. Hopefully someone will have an answer other than what I have come up with. If not, I will post my answer after doing it.

Houndawg

Milpitas, CA 95035

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/04 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have a Diplomat, and my doors got stuck. I jammed a claw hammer between the very bottom of the door and the angle iron rail, near the "U" bolt catch that holds the latch and lifted the latch at the same time, and popped it open. It was relly stuck, and my intention was to break the dammed thing. Well, it didn't break. I then adjusted the "U" bolt latch, and all is well. The claw hammer must deform or twist that rail just enough to let pressure off the catch.
Now that I know how to pop those doors, I can be in one in a NY second locked or unlocked.
Don't be afraid to FORCE it.
Good luck!
If you want to name a problem with a Diplomat, I've had the problem.

MidTNDawg

Palmyra, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/04 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU! I used a nail remover pry bar, and as you suggested, it worked like a charm. I'll get the u-bolt adjusted now. I also noticed the u-bolt was really rough which increased the friction holding the door closed so I greased it already. I was prepared to drill a small hole through the bottom of the door and push a rod up to release the bolt and then plug the hole with a rubber plug. I have a longer bit to go through the lock housing as well. Speaking of having all the problems. The driver's side wheel well is held on by hinges. The pin came out of one. A 3/16 rod and two push nuts repaired that. Thanks again so very much.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Monaco Diplomat Storage Door
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS