|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Campers- Axle Weights

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wellsdesigned

Above the Sacramento Fog, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/04 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck Campers- Axle Weights
When you take your truck to a public scale, its important to not only get a weight for the total truck, but to also get a weight for each axle (the weight on the front tires and the rear tires). If you are going to be over the GVWR, you will really need to know what your truck’s allowable axle weights are. Even if you are within your truck’s GVWR fully loaded, you still need to know that the axle weights are not exceeded. In the same place you find the manufacturer’s GVWR on the truck, there will be a listing of the front and rear axle maximum weights. The typical ¾ ton truck will have a front axle allowable weight of around 4500 lbs, and the rear axle limit is usually 6084 lbs. Typically unloaded at the scale this truck will weigh 3600 lbs in front and 2600 lbs at the rear tires (notice they total the 6,200 lbs of total truck weight). On this truck, the maximum load on the rear axel would be 3,484 lbs. Whoa, your saying, why is it overall I’m only allowed 2600 lbs going by the GVWR and yet my rear axle can clearly take 3,400+ lbs? I can’t give you a clear answer to this, but if you’re wondering why 80% of all truck & camper combos travel thousands of miles without incident, the answer is partially here. For more about what limits a truck’s axle rating, read the section about tires.

See also:
Truck Campers- Overall Weight Basics
Truck Campers- Stepping Beyond Weight Basics
Truck Campers- Axle Weights
Truck Campers- Tires
Truck Campers- Suspension Upgrades
Truck Campers- Camper Options
Truck Campers- A Word About Brakes
Truck Campers- Towing With A Truck Camper
Truck Campers- Center of Gravity (COG)

I’ve talked about the basics, now’s the chance for specifics. Reply to this topic with your specific truck camper situation and if you're new, ask questions.

* This post was edited 09/28/04 11:21am by wellsdesigned *

2002 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab 6.0L V8
2004 Eagle Cap 850 Camper w/slide-out

Visit my Truck Camper Travels site.

Happy Jack

Winnipeg, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/04 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good set of posts.

Could you clarify in your post that the 6084 axle rating, or whatever it is that is published, is normally not the axle limit, but rather the sum of the tires. A 2500hd axle is rated for 6900. An F250 is even higher, I believe.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Crew SB 4x4 6.0, Rancho 9000
Michelin LTX 265 75R16E, Torklift Tie-Downs, Timbrens
2004 Adventurer 810ws by Western Canada RV.

roadranger

Colorado Springs, Colo

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/04 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Axle weight ratings are a stickey issue.
Typically, the axle weight rating is NOT what's posted on the truck's doorjamb. THAT number is tied into the size/type tires the truck was built with.
You have to go the dealer's PARTS Dept. to find out which axle your truck has under it, and what it's actual weight rating is.

For instance; my 2nd generation 2001 Dodge 2500 truck with a diesel engine and camper package was built with a Dana 80 rear axle rated at 7500 lbs- it's the same axle as used on the 3500 trucks.

Check with your truck's Mfg. parts dept first.

wellsdesigned

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/04 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Chevy 2500HD has a truck door sticker limit of 6084. The brochure specs however say the axle itself is 6900 and that the [i]suspension[/i] is rated 6084 lbs. I have added on to all of the suspension system items to offset the load I am carrying: [ul][*]Firestone Air Springs [*]KYB Mono Max Shock Absorbers [*]Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar [*]Alcoa Classic 16"x7" Rims (3750 lbs capacity) [*]Michelin LTX M/S 265/75R16 (3415 lbs capacity)

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

kehale

Arizona 2011

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/04 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Visteon, that makes the 10.5" axle under my 2004 F350 SRW states a maximum gross axle weight rating of 9,750 lbs. Does that mean that I can put 6000 lbs in the back of my truck and be ok? ah..... no.

My tires are only "e" rated at 3415 lbs each, thus my door sticker says my max rear axle rating is 6,830 (or 3415 x 2).

My 2000 F250 is the same.... Same axle...but the tires are D rated at 3,042 lbs each (x 2 = 6084 lbs axle rating) The sticker on the door reflects this.

It seems the manufacturers make the tires/wheels the limiting factor in the load ratings. Overall GVWR is mostly flavored from other things such as brakes, steering and chassis components.

to me, it's worth $5 to get my truck weighed "full" and do some math. Often times the tires are at or near their rated capacity with a truck camper. (watch the tire pressures)
-T

06 Lance 1181

Shipper

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/04 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an interesting post. The published limits for my rear axle is 6200# which would be close to the combined rating of the standard tires for this model. I have the upgraded 265/70R17 E(3195x2=6390) which implies my tires can carry more load than my axle which just isn't true! I have the 11.5" rear axle (same as the 3500) from American Axle which is larger than the Dana 80 that I had on my 2001 Dodge diesel. I just talked to the axle manufacturer and they said this was the same axle they used on some small motorhomes and that the maximum weight rating for the axle is 12,000# plus. They also said that what Dodge published was a combination of factors; but, in essence, the limiting factors would be everything but the axle. Makes me feel better about upgrading my tires and wheels at some later date.

* This post was edited 10/15/04 02:02pm by Shipper *

This message was spell checked before posting!
Don't you wish everyone did?
"I'm not insensitive, It's probably that I just don't care!"

wellsdesigned

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/04 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shipper,
Don't for get the springs as well.

Shipper

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/04 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welldesigned,
To properly utilize my axle, I would probably need to beef up the frame along with the springs, wheels, tires, transfer case, and transmission. I have added 6000# rated Timbrens that should help my springs. I wonder if they make a 6000# TC that would fit a short wheel base truck. Seriously, it would be nice not to have to drain my holding tanks before traveling.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/04 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like another well designed post (pun intended).

Please everyone; suggest to your friends that this thread should be mandatory reading. Especially recommend to the weight Nazis.

Wayne

blog.rv.net - Your daily guide to the Open Road.
96 Dodge (DSL), 2500 (6200#)

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), Stable Lift (w/remote), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck Campers- Axle Weights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS