RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: For teachers and former teachers only!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> For teachers and former teachers only!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/04 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many years have you or did you teach and did you have your teachers pets. And what was your most interesting student.

I had a lot of interesting students but one that stands out is a little 7th. grader names Shereatha. She came into my class in the middle of the year. During the last quarter I gave her an F on her report card. Her mother came to see me the day after school ended to thank me for giving her the F, much to my surprise. I asked her while because that was not usually the attitude of a parent who's child had failed a subject. She said she could tell me who her daughter was since they were leaving. Her daughter was a princess. Her father was a prince in Saudi Arabia. That was in 1970, my first year of full time teaching.

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Kistler

Oro Valley, AZ, United States

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/04 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in the classroom (at Manual Arts High School, Los Angeles)during the first years of my career with LAUSD.

My most memorable student for me, I think, was Queen Anne --. She taught me the "be" verb. [emoticon] She would say in response to my asking if she were doing her assignment--"I bes working on it"....fresh as I was out-of-college this disturbed my simple brain. She explained that "bes" covered it all--she is, was, had been,...working.

It is really hard for me to imagine Queen Anne "bes" 59-60 years of age now.

Kistler
Brenda
Misty (Maltese)
Maxwell (grey tabby)

2002 Airstream Classic 25' (7,500 lbs. loaded)
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD & AdvanceTrac
Class IV tp/Prodigy/Dual Cam

Jim Miller

Pennsylvania in the Summer, Florida in the Winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/04 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a retired teacher now. I taught 31 years as a high school Business Education teacher. It has to be the greatest profession in the world. Working with kids is so rewarding. The greatest feeling of accomplishment comes from the many successes that you are a part of. The other side of the coin is the failures that you must witness and are unable to do anything about. The kids are our Nation's greatest asset.

It is difficult to pick from the approximately 5,000 students that I had during my tenure. But, one of the most memorable student for me was Sue. She was from a relatively poor family from a poor neighborhood and her father was a heavy drinker. She was a pretty good student in spite of it all. Somehow I became a father figure to her as she tended to come to me for all kinds of advice. From family matters to boyfriends to school problems, Sue sought me out. I didn't mind as she seemed to be a special girl. There was a school function that she wanted to attend that was a Father/Daughter banquet and she asked me to take her. After discussing it with my wife, I accepted. I did talk to her mother first to clear it with her family. She introduced me as her second dad. Wow, what an honor. That was better than any paycheck that I ever received.

There are many more students that are memorable but Sue was the first one that came to my mind. Boy, I miss my kids. I am thoroughly enjoying retirement though.

Jim Miller

Pennsylvania in the Summer, Florida in the Winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/04 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only three teachers here?

rotbaron

Hendersonville TN.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/04 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 26 year of teaching auto mechanics I have had some real interesting ones. I can generally tell after about two weeks which ones will wind up in the Dept of Corrections. Those become my special cases because I may be the last chance to turn them around. I had one 20 years ago who was giving me fits. I had tried everything, detentions, you name it. Finally I took him into the assistant principal office and told the AP I felt three licks were in order.
There are three people in High school you really don't want to get a paddling from, the tennis coach, the golf coach, and the auto mechanics teacher. I blistered this young mans rear. He turned and told me I would never have any more trouble from him. I didn't and neither did any of his other teachers. He turned into an Angel. A few years ago he was working for a company that moved our Vocational Director. The subject of motorcycles came up and I as well since I tour and camp via BMW motorcycles. The Director told me he said that I was the only teacher who ever cared about him, and that for the next three days all he could talk about was how great he thought I was.
Next was at the end of a school year when I was burned out and really thinking about moving on, a student I hadn't seen in 15 years came in and told me thanks, that he paid his house note, truck note and fed his wife and two children off what he had learned from me.

We are on what is called block scheduling so I have 3 90 min classes and a planning block. 1st block this morning I catch 4 young ladies doing drugs, they are gone to alternative school. The next class I break up a fight. It doesn't get any easier. Six more years and I become a full time RVer and fly fisherman.

05 Dodge CTD DRW 4x4
04 Citation 30T TT

ljguidry

Butte, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/04 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are both teachers -- have been for more years than we want to count. We are now both retired. She taught for a little over 30 years, all the way from elementary through high school. I taught junior high science and foreign language for three years, 12 years on the university level and then worked for almost 20 years as a teacher trainer. I still do some consulting.

My teaching in junior high was during my first two years of teaching. Last year that class of kids went through I don't know how much trouble to hunt me down to invite me to their class reunion. It goes without saying that I was really touched.

Now we continue to be teachers -- for our grandkids. We do nature hikes, teach them about camping, how to cook, you-name-it. Our "scope" is a little less wide, but our intensity is still 100%. Remember, old teachers never die; they are immortalized in their students. Also, never forget that knowledge is the one thing you can give away and still keep!

Ellen & Loyd Guidry
Suzie2 and Ozzie2 (Brother/Sister Scottie/White Highland Terrier mix who don't know they're "D-O-G-S"-(We recently lost Suzie1 and Ozzie1 - BUMMER!!)
Grandkids every chance we get
Butte, MT

GMC 1-TON DURAMAX
36 ft. Carriage Carry-Lite

Veronica

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/04 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do substitute teachers and academic aides count?

I started subbing 3 years ago. The very first class I ever taught was a 1st grade class at our local elementary school. The teacher was there for a few minutes in the morning - it was a last-minute call because her daughter was sick and she had to rush home.

Well, this cute little red-headed boy was in her class. He's a child who needs some extra help and has some emotional problems. He noticed that the teacher was gone - and started to panic. I tried to explain to him that she just had to go home for the day and would be back tomorrow, but he didn't understand. He started quietly saying "She's gone...she's not coming back..." Then louder, and panicked, "She's NEVER COMING BACK!!!!"

Thankfully, there was an aide in the class who knew him, but even she couldn't get him calmed down. He was convinced that his teacher was gone forever.

He left our school after 1st grade and only came back this year (his 4th grade year). Oddly enough, I subbed in his class today and he remembered me from then. Thankfully, he didn't panic today.

'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine L’Engle

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/04 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I began teaching 30 years ago, I was really green. In my first year of teaching Special Education, I was given a classroom of 18 Junior High School students who had been labeled as ‘Learning and Behaviorally Disabled’. In this very challenging classroom I had a student named Carl who, bless his soul, had yet to get an answer correct on even the simplest test.

One day as Carl sat at his desk taking yet another test, some other students, who were fighting in another part of the room, distracted me. Finally, after 20 minutes, I was able to retain some semblance of order in the classroom.

Carl was finished with his test sooner than I had imagined. As I sat down to correct it, I was flabbergasted to see that every multiple-choice question had been answered correctly. Then I came to the essay question. On the lines given for this task, dear Carl had written ‘Answers will vary’.

After that I learned to hide my answer keys!

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> For teachers and former teachers only!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS