Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close
Page of 192  
Prev  |  Next

Topic: looking for owners of 2004-2005 Pace Arrows

Posted By: Lobstah on 05/03/10 12:09pm

Sawellman,
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Pace Arrow. My 2005 has Atwood jacks on it. Are you saying your 04 has something different?...or that the Atwoods don't work as well as you'd like?
There is a procedure in the manual to "re-sequence" the jacks. Perhaps that is the issue? Initially, we thought the system in our 05 would auto-level. It does not. What it WILL do is automatically return to a previously "saved" setting...which I guess is usefull if you consistantly return to the same space, which we do not.
That being said, I can pick my axles up off the ground so that there is a good 3" under my wheels, both front and rear, if I extend my jacks all the way.
I use the level app on my iphone, sitting on the counter, to get level
Yeah, I know it's silly...but it works

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
2 Boxers
4 Cats

Posted By: sawellman on 05/03/10 12:26pm

I have Power Gear hydraulic jacks on my 2004. (I had the Atwood jacks on my previous RV and loved them. They worked great and did have plenty of throw to lift & level the RV).

My experience so far with my Power Gear jacks is that they dont seem to level the RV that effectively. I repogrammed the auto level feature twice. Still same experience: only levels RV if it is sitting on a flat, level surface.

It is almost as if the jacks run out of the ability to extend and the system cant do anything more and does not ultimately level the RV.

I believe the 2004 Pace Arrow's had the Power Gear jacks and the 2005 had the Atwoods. For those of you with Power Gear jacks what has been your experience?

Posted By: Dennis37 on 05/03/10 02:28pm

Your experience is the same as mine. I have had the 2004 for two years and the extension is not great. It is the first MH I have had that had jacks and I thought that was just the way it was.

Posted By: Jim Bakker on 05/03/10 07:31pm

sawellman wrote:

For those of you with Power Gear jacks what has been your experience?

My experience is much the same as yours. I'm very unhappy with the Power Gear jacks!

I've given up using auto mode. It lifts the rear jacks first, and since my rig is always nose low that's the wrong way to start the leveling process. I now use manual, first trying to get the nose up high enough to reach level, then extending the rear jacks just until they touch.

And like you have experienced, if the site is not pretty much level, the jacks do not have enough travel to get the rig level. Power Gear has explained this to me as insufficient space between the chassis (where the jacks are mounted) and the coach floor (the upper limit of the retracted jack leg), which limited the jack leg length that could be used. I suspect this space limitation came about because of the 7-foot ceiling introduced in 2004. And I also suspect Fleetwood recognized the problem and went with the Atwood jacks for 2005 and later model years.

Someone asked if it was possible to extend a single jack leg. One of our rear jacks often fails to extend properly, so I've learned how to do this—simultaneously press both a right/left button and a front/rear button. For example, to extend the right rear jack, press the right and rear buttons at the same time.

Jim and Suzi Bakker
Carmichael, CA

2004 Pace Arrow 36B, Workhorse W22
Ultrapower upgrade
2006 Honda CR-V

Posted By: Paul Turpin on 05/03/10 07:35pm

The only way I can get the jacks to work (good) is put wood under each jack so there is only three to four inch down before it hits the wood to level the rig. It is a pain to carry the wood (2x6 8 inch long) but it makes a big difference.

Paul and Sue
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse
2006 Saturn Ion

Posted By: Lobstah on 05/03/10 07:37pm

On a different note, last year I was troubleshooting an electrical issue, which was resolved successfully. I learned where my battery charger is during that process, right above my propane tank, just forward of my entrance door.
In my galley, under the stove top, there is a metal vent. From time to time, a fan starts up behind that vent, as if to cool something off.

Anyone have any ideas what that might be?...it's not my furnace...

Jim

Posted By: R2Dillon on 05/04/10 04:47am

On the PowerGear levelers, the rear units are linked so that the front can sway the unit side to side. That is the reason that the rear lower first. I carry the orange plastic leveler blocks to put under the PowerGear pistons. There is also a zerc fitting to grease the rear units.

Richard Dillon
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Honda Pilot toad
3 Pomeranians, 3 Children

Posted By: dkingdoe on 05/04/10 06:16am

Lobstah wrote:

On a different note, last year I was troubleshooting an electrical issue, which was resolved successfully. I learned where my battery charger is during that process, right above my propane tank, just forward of my entrance door.
In my galley, under the stove top, there is a metal vent. From time to time, a fan starts up behind that vent, as if to cool something off.

Anyone have any ideas what that might be?...it's not my furnace...

Jim

Jim, might be your power converter?? We have the 36B model, but our converter is located in the back under some drawers, and that's what ours does - from time to time the fan starts up because it is cooling the converter.

Stan & Doris (Retired 2012)
'06 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36B/W22
'05 Jeep Liberty-Toad

Posted By: Lobstah on 05/04/10 06:18am

I'd really like to open it up and find a converter there...I just don't think our coach has one? Although folks are surprised that we don't have one.
I'm assuming you're talking about an inverter?

Jim

Posted By: dkingdoe on 05/04/10 01:39pm

Lobstah wrote:

I'd really like to open it up and find a converter there...I just don't think our coach has one? Although folks are surprised that we don't have one.
I'm assuming you're talking about an inverter?

Jim

I, too, am surprised you don't have one ... but no, we don't have an inverter..we have a converter. Open it up and it might just be the converter you didn't think you had. Can't hurt to check it out. Let us know what you find.

Print  |  Close
Page of 192  
Prev  |  Next