|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Stands

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Budster

Mira Loma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on edit: You can lay these under the camper and rubber mat while travelling and use them at the next campground.

I made mine from 3/4 marine grade plywood, coated them with a clear sealer, see pics:

planks

assembled

under the camper, I also have a 2x6 at the rear and two 2x4s at the front to compensate for the driveway slope.

to load the camper I put DuckTape on the camper where the bed rails are and let them drag along as I back up, with a crewcab you cant see the bottom of the bed if you use a line and plumb bob, see pic:

ymmv,

* This post was edited 11/18/04 11:58am by Budster *

ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

Tahoecamper

Lake Tahoe, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the real non-carpenter you can also grab a about 3 wood pallets from a store and stack them. My dad did that and they fit almost perfectly under the camper.

1996 Dodge 3500 5.9 CTD 4X4
Hellwig springs and sway bar, Exhaust brake

1994 Caribou 11K, Sea kayaks on top Mountain bikes on back
97 Wrangler Sahara in tow

nodine

Knoxville, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/04 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgive me for asking, I am learning, but why do you need to put something under the camper when it is off the truck? All the campers at the dealer lots are just sitting on the stands. Is it unsafe to use the OEM stands?

Bob

2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
2006 Honda CRV toad

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

About a month ago, one of my neighbors had an older camper for sale for $2000. It was on saw horses (about two feet tall) with jacks down. A sawhorse gave up, camper went down, tore off all four jacks due to going down on one side. He loader the camper into a dumpster with a backhoe. Needless to say, didn't get $2000.

I should point out his camper was sitting on dirt

In a case like that you need an extra set of feet under the stand/sawhorse legs. I just canalbalized the stand my old wooden cap was on for 5 years. The wood of the stand was dry, but a couple of the 2"x10"x10" feet were easy to break with a hammer.

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Horseplay

NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My problem is my storage area is not flat, is at a slight sloping grade, so I can't use some of these setups. I have to use the camper stands with mine. Don't have a current picture of my new TC off the truck, but do have of my older camper.

The cinderblocks were so high, because my jacks didn't reach the ground, and it helped with the cranking (manual jacks).

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Budster builts have a lot going for them. No screws and easy to store. Definately stout.

Wayne

blog.rv.net - Your daily guide to the Open Road.
96 Dodge (DSL), 2500 (6200#)

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), Stable Lift (w/remote), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Rather B Fishin

McMinnville, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. You folks are great. Just the ideas I was looking for.

My camper says I don't need any support off the truck but I'm not comfortable leaving it that way. I stored it that way when I had it home between the houses but now it's out in the open at my Dads. Just seem more stable and good set of stands.

Thanks again.

2000 F-350,PSD,CC,DRW,4x4,Rancho RSX's, DP Tuner,Banks Gages,Tymar Air Intake,2.5" Zone lift, 255/85 BFG's, Ride-Rite's, Super Hitch, Torklifts
2005 Four Wheel Camper - Grandby
2006 Pig of a jetboat, 315hp Yanmar Diesel, H212 Jet,Hard Top,and some stuff.

Vladinator

West Hills Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my stand ... very sturdy..2x4's and 4x6's :

http://tinypic.com/mlf28

http://tinypic.com/mlf2r

i do , tho , give props the the Budster X-box , cant mess around down here in Quake Country

1997 Chevy 2500 4x4
1997 S&S 8.5 SC

Horseplay

NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some say they don't need to, but I like to take the pressure off my jacks, and the corners of the camper. A TC is designed for sitting on a truck and supported..but don't know the physics behind making a hard and true argument either way. I know you can use (sleep in) many off the truck w/ just your jacks, as I have with my new one. Some mfg recommend not to support, others to do it.

rogerf350

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper hit the top of the cab on my first trip. I bought some 2x8's which I put under the camper to fix the problem. Then I wanted to have some stands to hold the camper up when it was off the truck. I ended up using 3 sheets of plywood. 1 sheet of 1/2 inch treated plywood for the base, and the two other sheets of 3/4 cdx, I cut into 2 ft x 4ft pieces, and then notched them to fit together like the separaters in a half-case of beer. I place the truck where I want to store the camper, jack it up and remove the plywood. I put the treated pieces down first, then assemble the notched pieces and then place them under the camper and lower away. The floor is 2 feet off the ground, so I can drain my waste tanks into a bucket if I need to.
This is my first post, and I am not sure I can attach pictures, but I am going to try. It might take a few minutes(hours) to figure that part out.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Stands
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS