|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Chevy Colorado as Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the owner's manual on a new Chevy Colorado at my Chevy Dealer...the 4 wheel drive can be flat towed, by going thru the procedures in the book, but the last quip caught me...it states "not be towed over 55 mph"...I wonder:

Why put out a vehicle that I suppose is set up for towing behind an RV and then restrict the mph to 55...doesn't make sense to me,,maybe someone out there understands more than me.

Happy RVing

Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

JOMAGO

Fort Worth, TX,,,,,,,,,, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been looking at the colorado as a tow.
Been looking at the 4x2 version. Want auto tranny and all the other goodies so will put a drive shaft disconnect to do away with any restrictions.
A traveling companion has an explorer with the drive shaft disconnect and it works great. Easy to switch in and out.

John Marian Going
No KIds, No Pets, No Worries

JackD

Montreal, Qc,Canada (when not on the road)

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something does not make sence here.
As you said, if the key is at "LOCK", why would you need to remove a fuse??
But you should never tow 4 down with the steering wheel locked, you will ruin your front tires in no time and there are risks of some steering component damage.
In this case, 1+ 1 does not = 2
A call to GM is in order.
jackD

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the reason i wanted the Colorado is because I need a tow vehicle and a pickup...don't want to license another vehicle and insurance in the state of Texas...I want a 4 dr Colorado with auto trans..getting too old to shift....wonder what a disconnect would cost installed. also, talked to the Chevy people.. installing a disconnect would void the warranty on a new pickup...

Thats another problem..to get a disconnect installed would probably have to go to Okla City or Dallas...people in this part of the world are not too familiar with Remco products...at least the ones I talked to aren't

Thanks and have a good day

des04004

Davis County, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason why they say 55 mph is for liability. There are af few other companies that say this.

Uhaul trailers say not to tow them above 45 mph, and I belive some say 35 mph. That would take a terribly long time to get from California to Utah.

2008 Ford F-250 Larait V10
2011 Forest River Wildwood T27BHSS (sold)
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH

pennor1

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2004 Colorado 4X4 that I'm readying for towing. Everyone says read the owners manual when it comes to dingy towing. That's good advice! So I read it in great detail. The final point on page 4-48 confuses and concerns me more than just a little, it reads:

Turn the ignition to LOCK. To prevent your battery from draining while towing, remove the RDO BATT and CLSTR fuses from the instrument panel fuse block. Be sure to replace the fuse when your reach you destination.

OK, now someone who has actually towed a Colorado please tell me two things.

1. If I turn the ignition to LOCK as instructed in the owners manual I would assume that the steering would be locked and I'd drag the front wheels (A BAD THING!). So has Chevrolet removed the lock mechanism from the steering?

2. If indeed it is correct to put the ignition in the LOCK position then why in the world would I need to remove any fuses to prevent battery drain?

Please, anyone who has towed one of these please tell me what your experience was.

* This post was edited 11/20/04 04:27pm by pennor1 *

Salem Oregon
'99 RexHal
'04 Colorado

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/04 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just got an email from another reader...He spoke to the Chevy Dealer where he bought the Colorado,,,he said the service manager told him the instructions in the book were wrong..also the 55 was for liability protection..

Before I even consider the Colorado or the GMC Canyon, I am going to contact Chevy and get the straight poop...shall I post it when I get it...

I am holding off getting one until I get the straight skinny.

I just wrote Chevy customer relations an email...will advise when I get an answer

Happy RVing

* This post was edited 11/18/04 02:26pm by Daboo *

Daboo

Texas Panhandle USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/04 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got a reply from Chevrolet...all they did was send me the words from the Owner's manual...have written them again concerning the lock the ignition statement...

Doesn't look like this would be a good unit without modifications, and they told me modifying the trans with the disconnect would void the warranty..

Guess I will look at something else..perhaps a Dakota

Happy RVing

lkazanov

Woodbine, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/04 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also considered Colorado, thought fit and finish not as nice as Dakota. To tow Colorado with auto you need 4 wheel drive (listed in their brochure). I guess disconnects on the drive shaft possible but why void the warrantee???

2005 Granite Ridge 3100 SS
2005 Nissan Frontier (toad)
Blue Ox Alexus, Roadmster Brackets
SMI Silent Partner

pennor1

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/04 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had called Chevrolet and got the same response. Shoot, I can read as well at they can... Anyway, the weather was nice this afternoon so I went out and jacked up the front of my Colorado and did a little test. With the front wheels off the ground to eliminate tire to road friction, and with the key off and out of the ignition, I turned the steering wheel from center to full right, back to full left, and back to center again. SURPRISE! THE COLORADO DOES NOT HAVE A STEERING LOCK! So now the instructions in the owners manual make sense. Well they kind of make sense. I still don't see why I'd need to remove any fuses. With the ignition locked and the key out what's the difference if I'm towing the truck or just letting it sit in my driveway?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Chevy Colorado as Toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS