|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Chevy Colorado as Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
darlewis

Lander, Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/05 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone towed a Chevy Colorado(with automatic transmission, without disconnect) at a speed higher than 55 MPH? If so, did it cause a problem and what kind of problem. After reading in the manual that the vehicle couldn't be towed over 55 we called the dealer, the mechanic said "up to 55 the transfer case would oil the gears, over that it would not." This does not make a lot of sense to us. We are leaving on a trip, towing the Colorado for the first time and really don't want to be restricted to a 55 MPH. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Milo006

Alcalde, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/05 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed my 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 w/crew cab for more than 9800 miles. The vehicle can be towed at more than 55 mph and my owners manual does not have that restriction printed on the pages that someone has cited. The vehicle does not need to have any fuses pulled. To tow the vehicle, with the engine running, place the transfer case in neutral by depressing and holding the 2wd and 4wd low button for about 10 seconds. After the vehicle transfer case shifts to neutral, put the vehicle in reverse and drive to make sure that the case is neutral. Place the gear in neutral, shut off the engine, put the vehicle in park, remove the key. The wheels on a 4x4 do not lock so no need to leave the ignition on. This vehicle weighs about 4000 lbs and tows very nicely behind my class a gasser. I have towed (no comments from the tow police please!) at speeds greater than 55 mph. Several other forum members tow a Colorado 4x4's and GMC Canyon 4x4. I have no experience with the two wheel drive version.

Milo and Di
2004 Georgetown XL 370
Ford V-10
2005 Chevy Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab towed vehicle

wa0mqe

Colorado Springs, CO, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/05 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't speak for the 4-wheel drive Colorado, but we have a 2004 2-wheel drive 4-door, automatic tranny Colorado. I installed the Remco Drive shaft disconnect (my second one, first one was on a S10 pickup). Have had no trouble on either of the two. Remco says in their instructions, once the drive-shaft is disconnected put the transmission in park and remove ignition key. This requires putting ignition to "Lock". The other post is correct, when ignition is in "Lock" the steering wheel does not lock on this vehicle. No fuse to remove either. Being in Park concerned me a little in that if the disconnect accidently engaged itself it would probably tear up the parking pawl, but I've towed it quite a few miles and have had no problems. Considering it takes a little finese to engage the disconnect, I don't think it will accidently engage on its own.

I recently had the Colorado weighed. It weighs 3975 lbs with 3/4 tank of gas and this includes a bed tool box (steel) with a few tools and misc items inside of it. I imagine my tool box with the stuff in it would weight about 75 to 80 lbs. So the truck would be right at 3900 curb weight. I would guess a 4-wheel drive would be an additional 250 to 300 lbs, but that's just a guess.

Bob Bowers
2006 Monaco Camelot PDQ 400ISL Cummins
Colorado Springs, CO

chevylover1965

Southern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/05 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been towing my GMC Canyon for the past 8 months and 8K miles. I have absolutely no problem towing it at all. Following the owner's manual, I put the transfer case in neutral, turn off the engine and place the trans in park, remove the key and lock the truck with the key fob. The truck is made so the steering column does not lock. I do not remove any fuses. Usually fuse removal prevents battery drain when some toad's require the key in the ignition in order to unlock the steering column.

06 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH
Freightliner, CAT
08 Honda CRV EXL/NAV
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar/US Gear
FBINA 144

Artful Dodger

Mount Ayr, Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/05 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got back from pulling a GMC Canyon (Colorado clone) nearly 8400 miles. It's the best dinghy I've ever pulled (at all highway speeds, too)!

I've got the automatic 4x4. So here are some answers:

1) The steering doesn't lock.
2) No need to pull fuses, because once you're in neutral, you turn off the ignition, pull the key (optional), and lock the doors (optional). Away you go!
3) The directions for putting tranny in neutral and back out are very simple to follow. It takes all of about 1 minute both ways. (The directions are on page 2-29 of the owner's manual.)
4)The odometer is disconnected in neutral!!! No miles add up during tow!!!

Other than the doggy 5-banger powerplant, I'd highly recommend the Canyon/Colorado to anyone.

Hope this helps...

Dodger

The Nutty Professor & The School Marm
"Your tax money at work..."

"I know all about audiences. They believe everything you say, except when you are telling the truth." -- Mark Twain, 1906

darlewis

Lander, Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/05 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to mention that the Colorado is a 2004, 4X4. We appreciate your quick responses as we are leaving in the morning (8/17/05) and will be towing the truck about 2200 miles before we return home. We feel a lot more secure now with the information we have received from you. Thanks.

darlewis

Lander, Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/05 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned home from our trip. *No trouble pulling the Colorado* BUT-the check engine light came on when we disconnected the truck and would not go out...we had to take it to a GM dealer to have it tested and reset, they did not have a reason for it coming on. We followed the manual on hooking up, taking the fuses out and unhooking. When we got home yesterday we unhooked, *Darn Light is on Again*. Any clues as to why this is happening? He's taking it to the dealer to have it checked again. Thanks again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Chevy Colorado as Toad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS