|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Replacement Tires - 245/70R/19.5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/04 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering replacing our tires on our 1999 Monaco LaPalma. We only have 18,000 miles on the coach but the age of the tires concern us. The coach sat for over a year on a dealer lot in Ohio before we bought it. We stored it inside for the next 3 years but it has been sitting in the Florida sun for the last 18 months. The tread is still good and there are no obvious signs of cracking or other damage. Any suggestions as to whether we should replace them and if so, with what brand. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

jy

south east mich.

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/04 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of chassis,and what kind of tire?

99 Coachmen 322QB, Ford V10,18 foot Load King open trailer, 2007 Mustang GT Toad, Gibson exhaust,Royal Purple lubricants.Recently retired and planning on doing more RV'ing.

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/04 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We are considering replacing our tires on our 1999 Monaco LaPalma. We only have 18,000 miles on the coach but the age of the tires concern us. The coach sat for over a year on a dealer lot in Ohio before we bought it. We stored it inside for the next 3 years but it has been sitting in the Florida sun for the last 18 months. The tread is still good and there are no obvious signs of cracking or other damage. Any suggestions as to whether we should replace them and if so, with what brand. Thanks for any thoughts.

You have exactly the right idea. My only suggestion is that if you are NOT gong to use the coach this winter...put them on in the spring before you start traveling. That direct hot sun "eats" tires.

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

dutch_man

Southwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/04 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there some treatment you can put on the tires to slow down the cracking?

What about covering the tires to keep the sun off while parked for extended periods?

dutch_man
States we have camped in:

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/04 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Is there some treatment you can put on the tires to slow down the cracking?

What about covering the tires to keep the sun off while parked for extended periods?

BOTH! Use 303 Protectant ..AND use tires covers while parked for any more than a few days

Road Dog

Waukesha,WI

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/04 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the tires on my 99 Bounder cuz of age and also the very hard ride I got from the Goodyears. I went with Toyos and after 6000 miles I can't believe how much nicer the ride is. Doesn't bang hard when you hit tar strips and joints in the road. I would definitely change the tires on your rig, too much sitt'n time is not good for tires. They can dry rot from the inside. Its not worth the risk. Road Dog

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/04 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford V-10 and Goodyear G159's.

Tireman1

Springfield,Oregon- Lane

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/04 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggestion: with you having stored inside for 3 yrs and if it is not showing any signs of cracking (and check the inside also) if I owned the coach I would put 2 new tires on the front and run the ones you have now on the rear... Tires do not rot from the inside but the tubless linner can get a little setup and not stop a nail hole leak as good as it should... damage comes from the sun rays... and nothing I have heard of that will help, other than covering with wheel covers... (retired 49 yrs of auto and motorcoach service)

I agree with Road Dog that Toyo tires are good...

1992 F-250 4x2, 7.3 Banks Wastegate Turbo & Exhaust, Airbags, Raybestos Super Stop Pads, RS 5000 Rancho Shocks, 35 gal aux tank
(4)Michelin XPS Rib/siped. - 30' Knight,King of Road, Slide 5th Wheel, 18K Reese Swivel,
Earthmate GPS/2004, HP zv5000 AMD64

TireGuy

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/04 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear now makes their RV specific tire, the G670 RV , in this size. From all I have talked to and read from others, this is an awesome tire. Runs cooler than the typical truck tire and rides smoother than the typical truck tire.

havin fun

we are home due to illness

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/04 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we put the goodyear rv -670 on ours like them a whole lot . the ride might be alittle harder .had the 159's before was afread of them because they were 5 yrs old .

retired
havin fun with 1999 georgie boy 3515
and the wife too .
V-10 ford
SLOW DOWN AND SMELL THE FLOWERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Replacement Tires - 245/70R/19.5
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts