RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Bed Spacers for Certain Truck Campers on Ford SuperDuty Trucks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bed Spacers for Certain Truck Campers on Ford SuperDuty Trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/04 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a combination camper centering guide / bedspacer built by Lance-A-Lot. Nice job and very creative to combine the two, has me re-thinking my spacer

Generally, you can sometimes need a bed/camper spacer on older campers (occassionally new campers) when they are carried on Ford SuperDuty trucks with the taller cab roofs.

Anyone else have any pictures or ideas on camper/truck bed spacers they would like to add to this thread? I'm going to add this thread to the TC FAQ section 24.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

Blulund

Fargo, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/04 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a really nice unit buit by Lance-A-Lot, I like the way it centers the camper as well as lifts it for clearance. I winter camp so I used two sheets of Owens Corning R-Tuff insulation, they are 1/2 inch thick and after 18 months have not compressed, on top of that is a 3/4 inch sheet of exterior grade plywood and then a heavy duty rubber mat. This gives me a little more than 2" in clearance over the cab.

Bob M

2006 F350 DRW, King Ranch, 4x4 6.0 PSD
Bailey the rescued Golden Retriever (At the Rainbow Bridge 5-12-2009)
2007 Escalade 37 REB Fifth Wheel
2001 25 ft Sportcraft

May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/04 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like it!

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/LB/camper pkg..Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports

Neverhappy

Europe

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/05 01:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about some floor support ?

Y2K Silverado 1/2 ton...Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts (I know...)
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS ,FastGuns, 2 x 75w Solar
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
2000 Chinook concourse (uncomfortable , badly designed rv ,must get rid of it :-( )

Lance-A-Lot

Quebec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/04 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the top view of the spacer. The cut-out part (flatted) is screwed to the part standing up, for more stability.

Lance-A-Lotâ„¢
2003, Ford F350 XLT, V10, 6.8 L, 310 hp, r-axle 3.73 locked, ext. cab, long bed, 4X4, SRW,
Firestone Ride-Rite , Hellwig anti sway-bar

2001 Lance-Lite 915, standard cab-over

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/04 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made an 8' x 4' 2"x4" frame and screwed/glued an 1/2" sheet of plywood to it. I also but 1/8" aluminum angle all around the edge. I then screwed the whole thing to the bottom of our camper.

But after looking at Lance-A-Lots design, I think I like his better. It's cheaper/simpler/lighter/better. It also combines the spacer with a centering guide.

Herd Bull

New London, WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/05 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made some by nailing (2) - 8ft 2x4's together and laying them length wise in the truck. There's 2 sets of these, each one spaced about 6"-8" in from each wheel well. I also made (4) stands that will cradle the 2x4's when not on the truck. They fit in between the camper and the side of the truck when the camper is loaded in the truck. That way when I do extended hunting trips I can take the camper off and drive where I have to drive.

I like this because there's no need to bring extra horses or anything. And there's no added weight like a frame on the bottom of the camper thats always there. If anyone wanted some pics to better help describe what I have I could probably get you some.

Herd Bull

2001 F-250 XLT, PSD, SC, 4X4 Off-road, camper package, auto, highland green, 3.73's, pwr seat, keyless entry, trailer tow pkg, sliding r. window, cab lights, pre-pump mod, Silverstars, fumoto valve, K&N generation II intake,DI custom 4-pos chip, auto-meter gauges, full pillar mount,ISSPRO TTM, 4" turbo back exhaust, wrap around bug shield, Lakeland topper, tinted windows, fog light mod, acetoned emblems, brite-box mod, PNI digital compass/thermometer/barometer, Alpine Head unit w/6 cd shuttle, SUVlights harnesses, stainless grill insert, auto-lock and seat-belt chime disabled, de-blued ford emblems, White Nights, Stinger HP w/piggyback, 55watt under truck courtesy lights, Mobil 1 synth fluids, RS5000 stabilizer, Wicked Wheel, Air-Lift bags, RS9000 shocks w/controller, Sirius sat radio.

Best MPG: 367 miles/16.0 gals.= 22.94 (unloaded, tailgate down DI chip #2 setting)

1995 Starcraft LeisureStar 852 (my 1st TC)
Honda EU2000i
2 travel companions (Golden Retrievers)

nodine

Knoxville, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/05 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I like about Lance-a-Lot's design is it will work great for folks like me that plan to keep their 5th wheel hitch rails in the bed of the truck.

Bob

2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ
2006 Honda CRV toad

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/05 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the same basic thing as Brad except I put a few cross members between the 2x4 perimeter frame, then cut the foam blocks to fit the gaps, then covered it with a 3/8" sheet of plywood. Screwed the whole thing to the bottom of the camper.

Whizbang
2010 F150 with 1994 Jayco Sportster 7ft Pop-up
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bed Spacers for Certain Truck Campers on Ford SuperDuty Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS