RV.Net Open Roads Forum: advice on a layout for kids, which bunkhouse is best?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> advice on a layout for kids, which bunkhouse is best?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
ffruff22

MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering buying a fifth wheel for vacations with our kids (4.5 yr old boy and 2 yr old twin girls). Recently we went to an RV show in our area and my wife really liked the Wildwood 30BQSS which has 2 sets of single bunk beds in the back (one along the rear and one perpendicular to it on the passenger side). I liked the Cherokee 285B+, which had a rear slider for the bunks (which was a double bed on the bottom with a single on top)more room? This is something that we plan on keeping for a while and upgrading when the kids get in the teens.

Can anyone give me any opinions or advise on this?
Any suggestions on fifth wheel layouts for families?

I am hauling it with a 2001 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 and trying to keep the dry weight around 8k. We plan on going cross country with it in the future.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/05 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most I am going to recomend what I have. Gulf Stream Canyon Trail or Gulf Stream Mako both have a 28 and 30 foot bunk house with a "stowe away" bunk so your girls woulod have their own room and yo0ur boy would have his own little space.

M. Dean Nix
ex-Silent Service
'01 F250, Crew Cab, 4x4, Lariat, LWB, V-10 & 4.3 rear-end
'05 Gulf Stream Canyon Trail, 31FRBH (double slides)
36RQ Winnebego Chieftain P30 454 (Last RV, ebay purchase, great story)(SOLD)

Armand_C

Westwood, Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/05 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mention that you plan on keeping it for a while. I believe that the Wildwood is an entry level unit, so you may have some problems down the road with the quality. We had a 2004 Wildwood TT, so I know how those things are built. They use staples instead of screws to hold things like the cabinets together. I have no knowledge of the Cherokee so I will not comment on that. I guess what I am trying to say, is that you may not keep the trailer as long as you think you will due to it not holding up that long. In ours, the linolium has had to be the cheapest I had ever seen, scuffed real easy. slide out was noisy and you could see gaps of daylight around the slide, which means it was not sealed properly. You may think about going to a mid grade unit if you want to keep it that long. Take it from a former Wildwood owner, Hope this helps.

2005 Keystone Outback 29 FT bunkhouse model 29FBHS pulled by a 2004 Ford F250 Crewcab shortbed 4x4 with a 6.0L PowerStroke Diesel with torqueshift 5 speed and guided by a Kenwood Excelon navigation system with Sirius Satellite radio, now that's the ticket!!

bonecho

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps look at a Wildcat or a Cougar, as well as the new Outback bunkhouse. They are geared in weight to be pulled by 1/2 ton so should be fine. The other poster is correct in saying a little higher quality to begin will serve you better in the long run. We are another that has learned this through experience that did cost us some.

Have fun shopping, all the shows are coming up in the next few months and dealers starting to get new models in.

2003 Silverado 2500HD, D/A, CC, LB, 4x4
2004 Cedar Creek Silverback 31 LBHBS
Pullrite/super rails/prodigy

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/05 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind going on the big side Cougar 314EFS

Large rear bunkhouse with 4 bunks. You can remove the bottom bunk since the mattress is directly on the floor. With the matress removed (we actually just lean it against the wall), you have room for a couple of bean bag chairs. The door is a true door with only the normal gap at the bottom of the door. Plenty of room in the bunkhouse to change clothes.

When looking, we really didn't like the stacked bunks as the rooms were usually crowded when trying to play, watch TV, or getting dressed.

Another trick we have found is to carry a bar stool with us. This works as a great ladder for getting in the upper bunks. We can also grab it and bring to the dinette so someone can sit at the end of the table.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hc avg mpg after 16,500 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

ksiceman

Here in Kansas I think

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would avoid the L shaped bunks. When each child has their own space, you will definitely cut down on arguements and increase privacy. My kids would hang a blanket from the bunk above to create their own private room. Make sure each bunk has it's own light so when one wants to stay up a little later they can control their own light. I added small lights to the bunk area so one could leave a light on without bothering the other. When it rains outside the kids would always retreat to their space to watch tv, play a game or read a book.

Also, in agreement with others, if planning to keep this unit for awhile, watch carefully the construction and build quality.

2006 F350
2004 Keystone Mountaineer 297RKS

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

coachgonecazy

Sun City Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like a few others said pay a little more for quality. We have 4 kids, age 16 to 8. We have a 29 ft. Skyline with two bunks in the back and a dinette, sofa slide, works fine. Watch the wieght capacity of the trailer, some only leave you 800 lbs after water, propane, etc. Not much left for the food, drinks, pot & pans, clothes etc. for 5 or 6 people. Mine is around 3200 lbs. Good luck.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This one is much more expensive than the trailers that you looked at, but is also worth a look. http://www.glendalerv.com/2005/Titanium/36E41.html

[image]

It is a three bedroom model with two baths.

No more waiting to use the bathroom when someone is in taking a shower! [emoticon]

Good Luck, Fred.

ffruff22

MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the input so far, it is exactly what I was looking for when I posted!!

The advice on buying a mid range model makes a lot of sense. Buying used may help to keep the prices down, any advice there?

In regards to the Cougar 314EFS, I just received some literature on it today and circled that exact model. That is a great idea about folding up the bunk on the floor for bean bags or suitcases...

I am going to look into them a little more, but everyone please keep the info coming[emoticon]

Thanks Again

MrIcemaker

Westminster, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/05 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the Ameri-Camp F321QBS - I have the standard bunkhouse, but it is available with 4 different configurations - including a 1/2 bath. The weight is where you are looking, and the construction, fit and finish is excellent!

I have over 60 nights and 10,000 miles towed on mine, and virtually no problems!

Good luck on your hunt for the perfect unit!

Mark
04 Ameri-Camp F321QBS (Sold - currently RV-less)
08 F-350 CC 4x4 LB PS 6.4 (Sold)
09 F-150 CC 4x4 XLT (Pretty much just for the boat!)
2007 Sea Ray 175 Sport
Honda EU2000I (x2)
RDS 51 Gallon Fuel/Toolbox Combo

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> advice on a layout for kids, which bunkhouse is best?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS