|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How To Compress Photos Before Posting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
NetBoy

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, this topic may end up getting moved, which is OK, but I wanted my fellow truck camper owners to see it first.

A digital photo transferred to your PC from your digital camera generally will have a large filesize. It varies depending on the resolution the camera is set to, but for example my digital photos are typically around 1 megabyte or more in size. If you post a photo that size, people who are using a telephone modem will suffer a long wait while the photo slowly downloads.

If you are using Windows XP, below is a very easy way to resize and compress digital photos before posting them to the forum.

Here is a screen shoot showing the file sizes for one photo of my truck camper which has been saved in various sizes:

The original photo transferred onto my PC from my camera is called IMG_2846.JPG, and as you can see is over 1.2 megabytes in size.

You can also see resized versions of the same photo. The one labeled (Large) is 1024x768 pixels; (Medium) is 800x600; (Small) is 640x480; (WinCE) is 240x320. Notice that the file sizes of the resized and compressed photos are only 10% or less the size of the original camera image. Here is what IMG_2846(Small).JPG, which has a filesize of about 71,000 bytes, looks like:

Here is how you can resize your images. Do a google search on "windows xp powertoy image resizer" -- open the first choice, which will be the Microsoft site, find "Image Resizer" on the right side of the screen, and download and install it. Now when you are in Windows Explore (or whatever other file manager you use), and you right click on a photo filename, you will be offered a menu which includes the choice "Resize Picture". When you choose that, you will be offered several size choices. The "Small" size is 640x480 pixels, which is a good size for posting. Choose that, and a new photo will be created on your hard disk with the name of your original photo with the word "(Small)" appended to it. That is all there is to it.

In the screenshot you also see a file named IMG_2846(640x480-Compressed). That is the same as the 640x480 image displayed above, but further compressed using some older graphics software I have to a lower quality but still acceptable image -- here it is:

The software I used, LViewPro, is old and I don't think is available any longer, but I'm sure other graphics software has options to vary the .jpg compression. Anyway, if you look close at the photo you will see a little distortion around details on the camper, but the image is only 40K compared to the 1.2M original photo -- that is, only 1/30th the size of the original. That photo is very telephone modem friendly.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/05 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to use LViewPro a LONG time ago!!!

The best freebie program I've found is Irfanview. Located at this link. Go to the website and you'll be directed to a Tucows download website.

It quickly and easily resizes images and even allows editing. Excellent freeware.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2007 Rockwood TT 2502
Equalizer Hitch
2010 Ford F-150 FX4 -w- Max Tow Package
Yamaha EF2400iS
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

sumerduck8

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/05 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for the information. Have a great day

TJAllen

Petersburgh,NY. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Posting pictures is out of the question, I have a hard time remembering my username and password, never mind resizeing pictures!

Tim

Big Redneck

Waynesburg,Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know how to scan pictures and resize them and add them to my documents and send them e-mail but don't know how to post them on this forum. Wish I did. I got some jim dandy pictures like my Model A truck with a home made camer on It I made Its nicer then a Bigfoot.For a Redneck to understand how to do anything you got to type slow and no big words.

SLO jim

Fullerton, Calif

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks NetBoy and Robert for the links!

Jim, Renee, and the pup
Travelling the left coast, looking to retire in Cambria (SLO) in the near future.

2003 F-350 XLT SRW Crew Cab SB,
Firestone air bags w/ in cab control, Rancho shocks
2004 Lance 845

TJAllen

Petersburgh,NY. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Readneck
When you figure how to post a picture let me know. I tried useing the help thing at the top of the page and I think it said they must be on a web page before you can link them in a post. It would be nice if you could link them from your own computer for those of us that don't have a website.

Tim

04 Dodge CTD 2500 4X4 19.5 Rickson wheels 1030 Lance,loaded

OBXcamper

Salem Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TJ and Redneck,
You don't have to have a website. You can use a free image hosting site like Photobucket. It's free and you can upload any photo that's on your computer to that sight and link it to your posts here.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
No Ranchos, no air bags, no problem

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/05 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many free webhosts for pics to post in your signature. Mostof the folks here use one of them and do not have their own website, like me. i use this site and it is very easy to up load and then include in your signature.

http://www.freesites.cyberosis.net

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

OBXcamper

Salem Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/05 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TJ and Redneck,
You don't have to have a website. You can use a free image hosting site like Photobucket. It's free and you can upload any photo that's on your computer to that sight and link it to your posts here.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How To Compress Photos Before Posting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS