|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear awning on Truck Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
firemedic1992

Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any opinions (pro or con) regarding having an awning on the rear of a truck camper? Is it an install I can do myself (easily)? Any recommended brands?

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 Duramax Extended Cab Longbox SRW
1997 Thor Tahoe 30 RKSS Fifth Wheel

DeutscheMan

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would help if you could post a picture of the back of your camper. I think rear awnings are really a nice addition. We use ours more than the side awnings. As far as installation, they vary depending on your configuration. The space between the top of the door and the roof can be a factor, as well as location of the rear ladder, the position of the door left to right, and wether or not the camper was manufactured with some type of backing plate for mounting. Crankout and rollout awnings (Colorado Brand) are the ones I am most familiar with. Both are used, but the the rollout style is easier to adapt on many rear applications usually because of problems with door height and lack of mounting space above the door. If you have a ladder that rolls over the top of the roof, it may stop you from covering the entire rear width unless you modify the ladder. If the door is too close to the ladder, either awning may not cover enough over the door to be worth the trouble with the amount of offset you would need to clear the ladder. A picture would be helpful.

Bill

FireRescue133

Sedalia, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours came installed by the manufacturer, but doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to install. I like it mainly for the rain protection it affords the entry door (when only the screen door is closed). Ours is a "Carefree of Colorado" brand "Carefree TRUCKIN'AWN" model on the back.

Alan

FireRescue133

Sedalia, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours came installed by the manufacturer, but doesn't seem that it would be that difficult to install. I like it mainly for the rain protection it affords the entry door (when only the screen door is closed). Ours is a "Carefree of Colorado" brand "Carefree TRUCKIN'AWN" model on the back.

Alan

Oops, guess I posted twice. Sorry for the redundancy.

* This post was edited 02/19/05 12:22pm by FireRescue133 *

PhilipG

Galveston, texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have the Truckenawn. It came on the rig. When unfurled it does a fine job of protecting he entryway. BUT, I think the set up is seriously MICKEY MOUSE as well as the take down. It is not something I can do in a hurry if I need to move out. I will replace it with a box awning when I have some money.

1997 F250 HD/PSD 19.5" Rickson wheels and Michelin XZE tires. Air bags add a leaf, Rancho shocks. Lance 2003 1030
2007 Vespa GTSie 250

Ponderosa

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only advice I'd give you is to get a crank out one. My previous camper had rollout (Carefree) that I never could quite figure out. Hardly ever used it because it was such a pain to get adjusted to clear the door.

2011 Coachmen Freelander 27QB
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Greenesway

Manassas, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/05 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours came installed from the manufacture, we like it. Have you checked Camping World? They sell and install them.

Ford F-550 (2004)
Link Air Ride System
1150 Artic Silver Fox (2005)
Stable Lift

jimandsue60

Sanibel Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/05 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours came with a roll out one from Carefree Colorado. Works like a champ keeps our bicycles dry and us at the same time. I think there are some pics of it in our links.

Jim

2011 Mobile Suites 38 REPS, 2011 Chevy 3500 Dually. Click here to see our adventures
Our Photos

jimandsue60

Sanibel Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/05 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a picture of the aft awning on our camper in our link. It is the last pic in the Feb 2005 catagory, follow the link bellow.
Jim

Dmax Rod

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/05 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I echo the same sentiments from a previous poster (name escapes me now) - I use it occassionally, but it's a bit tricky in that I have to extend it out to the maximum position as that's the only position that clears the door. Ours was installed by the manufacturer; by no fault of them, most rear awnings will most likely result in the same situation... Others can confirm/deny this generalization.

Rod

2004 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4x4 Duramax 6.6 & Allison Tranny, Rancho 9000s, RideRites, Torklift Super Hitch & Frame Mounted Tiedowns
2004 Alpenlite 1150 Santa Fe Slide-out with 2 100 watt solar panels, ASC PV Controller with SmartCharge Technology, and twin T-125 6-volt Trojan Deep Cycle Batteries

Visit my truck and camper website at www.MountainTruckCamper.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear awning on Truck Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS