|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Cummins engine info

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jerry9

Charlotte, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/05 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are planning to purchase a new diesel pusher. I just called the Cummins engine motorhome division to ask questions about the engine. The gentleman I talked to was named Mike and he was very helpful and informative. I was specifically talking about the ISC 330 engine. Thought I would share what they said. I am certainly not an expert on this subject and can not defend or refute anything he said, just thought I would pass it along.

1) Oil should be changed every 15,000 miles.
2) He recommend 15W40 oil
3) Do not recommend synthetic oil. He said the engine temperatures do not get high enough to justify synthetics.
4) Use oil with an American Institute Performance Rating of CI-4.
5) If the engine is going to sit more than 2 months, it can grow algae and bacteria which will not necessarily harm the engine, but will clog the filters and cause problems. Recommends using "Biobore", "Vancide 51", or "Fuel Saver" as an additive to prevent this algae and bacteria buildup if the motorhome is going to sit over 2 months. He said other additives may work, but Cummins has tested these 3 and know they work. These additives will not cause any problems with they cylinders or other parts of the engine.
6) Use #2 fuel if the temperature is going to be above 20 degrees. If below, use winter blend, which is a blend of #1 and #2. I think he said use #1 if it is going to be below negative 15 degrees, but I am not sure.
7) There is generally no significant difference between brands of fuel oil. Use the cheapest one avialable, as long as it is appropriate for the temperature (#1, #2 or winter blend).
8) You only need to use the block heater if the temperature is below negative 20 degrees. Above that, the engine should start just fine normally.
9) You do not need to let the engine idle for a long time after starting. Don't remember how long he said was long enough
10) He said the water buildup problem in fuel tanks when motorhomes set for a while is overrated and not too much you can do to prevent it. He said even if you fill up right before taking it home, you will probably use enough fuel getting home to lower the level above the top of the tank, and that is where a lot of the moisture buildup comes from. If water does build up, just drain it off using the drain provided on the coach. There should be a light which comes on to tell you there is water in the fuel.
11) On some engines the horsepower and torque can be adjusted upwards by Cummins dealers, but the ISC 330 can not. He explained why, but I didn't understand it.
12) He said the importance of torque was somewhat overrated because of the way the engine and the transmission interacted. If the transmission got to a certain level, it would automatically downshift thus giving more drive.
13) He said that generally, 60 of the engines' horsepower were used for "housekeeping" such as running the air conditioner and other functions needed for the motorhome. The other 270hp (on the ISC 330) were used for power. Only some relatively small number (60-90hp?)are needed to push the coach once it gets up to speed. Going up a hill, the full 270 may be used. If the horsepower were raised to say 350 instead of 330, the additional 20 would all be used for power, so theoretically you could go up a hill about 7% faster (20/270). If a 330 engine gets you up the hill at 55 mph, theoretically a 350 would get you up at about 59.
14) To a degree, a larger engine (say 400 vs 330) would get slightly better gas mileage if all other factors such as weight were the same. That is because even a 400 engine would only need 60hp to push the coach once it was up to speed on flat land, so the mileage would be about the same. But going up a hill, the 400 would use a little more fuel, but would get you up the hill faster and more than offset the extra fuel.
15) Said that Cummins' expectations were that a well maintained Cummins diesel should last for about 450,000 miles.

I am sure most of you know more than I do about diesel engines, although I know a lot more now after taking to Mike. As I said, I can not defend or refute any of his statements, I just thought I would pass them along. If the helpfulness of Mike is any indication, Cummins must be very easy to deal with.

Thank you.

itsasecret

Washington DC USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Jerry, and welcome aboard.

2004 Mandalay 40B , four slides, 350 Cummins/Freightliner.

CountryCoachrv

Niceville, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry,

Cummins Corporation is easy to deal with, it's too bad that they don't have a factory service facility with factory trained mechanics in Columbus, In. You have to go to Cummins distributors to get your warranty work done and many of these centers just don't have the needed qualified personnel. Of course, most Cummins owners probably never need the services of a qualified mechanic as they never really have a lot of trouble with the engine but just need the PM work done.
If you do have a tough problem though it is very difficult to find a competent mechanic to troubleshoot the problem down to the most likely component. What you generally get is parts changers who keep chaning parts, at your expense, til they finally find the one causing the problem.

But, Cummins engines are still probably the best to have on your motorhome.

Trav

isotope21538

Blairsville Ga

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. Mike did a great job explaining the cummins engines..

isotope21538

gasbag

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you buy a motorhome with a Cummins you get a manual on the engine from Cummins with quite a bit of that information in it. Also, I have also called Cummins several times for help etc. and I will agree that they are very helpful and patient with old guys like me who know next to nothing about diesels.

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

SalnJudi

Stuart, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Jerry: Great information! I printed it out for future reference on the different additives. Sal

SalnJudi
Stuart, Fl
Newmar Kountry Star 3910

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/05 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

11) On some engines the horsepower and torque can be adjusted upwards by Cummins dealers, but the ISC 330 can not. He explained why, but I didn't understand it.

Jerry: Im 99.9% with ou except for this point. The 330 ISC.."CAN" be ungraded....Cummins "WILL DO IT" for you ( at a price) and the "older" Cummins 350 HP engine were exactly that.."turned up" ISC 330's. All they basically do is "re-program" the engine computer. The engine HP goes up 20 HP and the torque goes up 100FT LBS.

NOW...as the Cummins man asked ME..."Do you have any probems with it at 330 HP level...and I replied NO...so he said...then why do it"....LOL

If the motor is OUT of the warranty period...the costs is "about"..? $300 or so...but IF..IF you want it "RE-WARRANTIED"...you had better be sititing down partner...cause the $$$ will knock your socks off!!

Personally..I expect this series ( th ISC series) to "go away" in about another year. Its an 8.3 liter and the NEW 350's are the 8.9 liter that the "older" ( just a few years older) 370 and 400 engines were / are. They are "de-rating" a larger displacement engine to meet "SMOG" and pollution requirements instead of "jacking up" a smaller displacement motor to get the HP and torque.

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

blkbird1

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What he forgot to tell you is more important that many of the things he did and that is about the coolant.

It is extreemly important that you use the correct coolant for the engine, test it with Fleetguard test strips, and change is every couple of years.

If you don't have the correct SCA level in the engine cooling system you will have problems cylinder liner pitting which will cause and engine rebuild.

The following links will provide sume information and you can get the test strips from the Cummins people.

Here is a previous discussion about coolant...
http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14793961/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Fleetguard Coolants
http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/products/en_prod_fg_cool_anti.jsp

Fleetguard SCA (coolant additives)
http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/products/en_prod_fg_cool_sca.jsp

Take care
deb

Don & Karen
Saint Augustine, Florida

1999 Monaco windsor
Cummins ISC 330 Banks Turbo

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/05 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info, except for that #7. Diesel fuel is different. Go to www.bpamoco.com. There Premier diesel fuel is rated at 50 Centane for #2. Others brands could be at 40 to 45 centane. What does that extra 5 to 10 centane points do? It results in a Cleaner burning fuel, You have more power, With less oil fouling sulfur. It is time blended, that is, it is blended for your area weather conditions. So adding extra additives is not necessary. But your best bet in buying Diesel fuel is to purchase it where there is a large user base, such as truck stops.
Keb

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Road Hog

Black Hawk, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/05 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info Jerry. I'm leaning toward Monaco with the cummins 400, so found this most interesting. Thanks.

2007 Mandalay 40F
2002 Suzuki XL7 Toad
USN (SCPO) Retired, NACO/Thousand Trails/Leisure Time/Good Sam Life Member
You can call me Road, or you can call me Hog, or you can call me Mr. Hog, just don't call me late for Happy Hour!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Cummins engine info
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS