|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on 2000 Tradewinds

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
teeoff300

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/05 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at making an offer on a 2000 Tradewinds model 7372, 23,000 miles, in excellent conditon and loaded; owner asking $88,000. Haven't seen the coach yet nor made an offer as it is on the other side of the country. I know National makes a great product and we toured the factory in Perris in Oct and were impressed. National owners (or others) what are your opinions on this model and year? Were there tire issues or slide issue on this model? Any other problem areas we should be aware of?
Thanks for your help

Gary & Danny
1999 National Tradewinds

teeoff300

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/05 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any Tradewind owners want to weight in on this?
Thanks

lukehelen

Santa Fe, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/05 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love the Tradewinds, but we purposely waited for the 2001 - most 2000s do not have the 2001 Freightliner XC raised rail chassis (with pass through basement storage), but some do. Also, we preferred the two slide with the living room (not galley slide). We wanted the extra basement storage. Additionally, we understand that some of the 1998-2000 models had issues with the window seams (see previous posts). Find out if it had to have the windows replaced. Finally, is it an LP gas or diesel generator? We prefer diesel. In 2001, they went to a different dual pane window manufacturer and made diesel gens. standard. All that being said, the Tradewinds is a fantastic RV and $88k sounds like a reasonable price. We're selling ours to get an '06 Tradewinds - that's how much we like them. Good luck!

slates

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/05 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Gary and Danny.

I purchased a 2000 7370 Tradewinds last fall that had 18,000 miles on it. I only have one trip on it, the return from Texas where I bought it to Wisconsin where I live (what's wrong with that picture), so I do not have a ton of time with it, but here goes.

I wanted more room and power than my 2000 30' class C with the Ford V10 had. I did a fair amount of research before deciding on the Tradewinds. I liked the idea of the CAT as it has more torque than the Cummins 5.9. I also liked the large living room slide on the 7370. As one previous person noted, the '00 Tradewinds does not have the raised rail chassis, but it has quite a bit of storage. It is also finished very well, and has beautiful walnut cabinetry. I think it looks nicer inside than some of the moderately priced pushers I recently saw at the local RV show. It has lots of space with the slide out, and is still fairly roomy with the slide in. I also have the diesel generator, which is quieter than the gas generator on the class C was. I wanted the diesel generator, as I stay at places that don't always have electrical hookups.

I drove 1,800 miles back from Houston in two days, and can tell you it is a dream to drive compared to the Class C. Loads of power and rides really well. I had no problem cruising along at 65 or so, up or down hill, which was a switch compared to how much my V-10 downshifted on hills. I had an easy trip, and got between 9 and 10mpg, which is better than the 8 I used to get driving my Class C.

I have called National a couple of times with questions, and find them to be very friendly and helpful. I also called Freightliner and found them to be very good as well. Based on many comments on this forum, I am in the process of replacing the Michelin XRVs with Toyos, but the tires are a bit hard to find right now. I have not noticed any issues with the windows.

I hope to be leaving for Florida in two weeks (depending on the tire situation) so I may have some more feedback for you.

Good luck on your purchase.

Slates
'00 Tradewinds 7370 300hp 3126 CAT
'03 VW TDi daily driver
'84 Reynard Formula Ford just for fun!

Kirkjan

Arroyo Grande, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/05 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought my first RV a used 1999 Tradewinds 737? in 2003. One slide that moves out the galley and couch. Walnut interior that is still better looking than most of the new RV's that I constantly look at. I have added several bells and whistles including: steer safe, hughes autoformer, electric water hose reel, electric gray and black valves for dumping and a mascerator pump. Replaced the heavy TV over the driver's seat with an LCD TV that is much better and lighter and will accept the new DVD/VCR player. Other than multiple slides there is not much out there in new RV's that I don't have. No major problems with the coach. I could not be happier with my purchase. By the way check out RV.org for their rating on the 2000 coach.

Kirk
'99 National RV Tradewinds 37' Diesel Pusher
'04 Honda Pilot toad

O'Connell

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/05 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a 1999 Tradewinds with 67,000 miles on it and we absolutely love it. It is the 7372 model with the galley slide and dual couches. I second Kirkjan's comment about the beautiful interior fit and finish that still looks great after almost 6 years. I have had no problems with the windows and no problems with the LP Genset. The Michelins were replaced with Toyos after 4 years.

The only problem we had with the coach is the pin that hold the gearing for moving the slide sheared off and had to be replaced. It is common on older National RV slides. The secret is to never torque the slide after it is fully in or fully out.

The National RV Tradewinds is a great coach that seems to be holding up extremely well.

Dave & Bobbi

2004 Fleetwood Excursion
350 Cummins

teeoff300

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/05 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your input; you have reinforced what we already thought.
Happy Traveling!

Bluegrass Bassman

Kingston, TN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/05 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that the 2000 model has better cabinetry than my 2003 and is a very solid coach. Not mentioned thus far is the ability you have to attend any National RV ralley and have three items repaired at one time on the coach, usually at no charge to you, by very competent techs. ( They are very liberal about sticking to only three items also).

Gary P. Johnston
2007 Montana 3000RK
2008 Ford F350 Lariat, Extended cab, Short bed, PSD, SRW .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on 2000 Tradewinds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS