|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Forum Conduct Updated

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next
Sponsored By:
JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From time to time some of you really push the limits of forum rules in terms of "professional" conduct.. I have no problems with spirited debates, however when these debate turn into character assassinations, ridicule, or creative flaming, baiting, or out right trolling it serves no productive purpose in terms of the intent of the forum. I often have to step in, do some editing, delete posts, and close treads.

This forum is intended to be an extension of the RV'ing experience, a place where we can gather and share information. Each of us is entitled to have an opinion, including one of dissent, provided the expression of that opinion does not disembark from civility.

There are those that seem to have a pattern of outright bashing the choices that others have made. Whether its a brand of motorhome, chassis, engine, tires or gas versus diesel. The nature of the commentary often meets the standards of trolling. My problem with outright bashing is that it is not only disruptive but also diminishes participation for many. The sharing of a bad experience is not only acceptable but is often helpful when a person is seeking input relative to a decision. It is most helpful when that sharing is done in context of your particular experience and done in a constructive manner.

There are also a few that seem to check their manners when they get on the keyboard by either posting comments that have nothing what so ever to do with the thread content which is disrespectful of the thread originator and all that have participated on topic. Even worse are the caustic, sarcastic and denigrating comments. In both instances it is disruptive to the thread. Especially since the pattern is to camp on a thread and do it repeatedly.

I get particularly frustrated when I see someone, whether a newbie or a senior member get caustic, sarcastic responses to what to them is a reasonable question. I have been RV'ing since 1970, and I still manage to see mystery to what others think of as common knowledge.

We do get a lot of repetitive questions, at times questions on topic where there has been a very recent thread on the topic. This is much less of a problem that those question that do not get asked simply because a person does not want to expose themselves to the harsh treatment that they have seen.

Each time that I see what ought to be a simple question get turned into a trial by fire, I wonder how that scenario would play out if in a camping setting a question of how do I, or what do you use , or have you ever tried, or what is the best way.. I think the import of the answer might be the same, however I seriously doubt that a person standing face to face would be subject to ridicule for asking...

There is also a lot of consternation when its obvious that the member is not well schooled on the finer points of the features and functions of the forum...Particularly in the use of the search facility. I do dozens of searches every day, and more often than not I find what I am looking for because I remember some key word or phrase from the thread or post. or I remember who wrote it or posted to it. The main reason for this is the variety of ways that we articulate the thread topic, or describe the nature of our inquiry or commentary..

So by now your asking what the point!? The point is that I would like folks to have less concern that they are going to be made to look foolish, or ridiculed because someone does not think highly of their inquiry, typing skills, or forum practices. Or start a thread and have it hijacked, and then the highjacking turns into a mud wrestling contest... I have had this happen to me, before I became a moderator,.....beside the irritation of losing my inquiry, I frankly was embarrassed to have such a thread with my name on..

Thus far this week I have had well over a dozen emails, and a few PM's with a similar theme.... I have a question... don't want to ask on forum because I do not want to receive the treatment that I have seen others go through.

I also get complaints daily about a select group of individuals along with a score of notifies. I am not bashful about editing or deleting posts, or closing a thread. I do prefer not to do any since it robs me of time to read and enjoy the forum. I am very reluctant to recommend that a member get banned since in most instances the troll like behavior is a subset of their forum behavior. I only will do it as a last resort. But I have in the past and in a few instances my tolerance is rapidly waning.

There are a few resident trolls on the forum mostly folks that have been banned and have come back with a new screen name. In most instances folks that have gotten banned and have come back and have participated as value added members. There are a couple that add no value what so ever except the occasional humor at the absurdity of their trolling.

I think we can do better, I will help things along. You can help my by either being more friendly, or clicking the notify moderator button...

Johnny

* This post was last edited 06/21/05 11:52am by JohnnyT *   View edit history

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things I left out is that for the most part we are a friendly helpful group.. Even some of the ones that at times have a go at a newbie.. I just get concerned because we have so many new members and at times we don't always look as hospitable as we really are...

JohnnyT

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/05 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well said, Johnny. Thanks

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

hottubkid

SCHAUMBURG,IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just wondering what you do for a living? You put your words so well. Thanks for being so honest and realy saying what you mean with out hurting anyone..........

hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

rvnetter

Stewartville, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, treat others with respect! Users of this forum come from all walks of life, ages, and experiences, the only common denominator is that they enjoy camping. Do as your mother told you, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Help keep this forum a friendly, safe, and informative site for all to visit!

Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2000 Chev Conversion Van HiTop

cdroggen1945

Pahrump, Nevada USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I agree, treat others with respect! Users of this forum come from all walks of life, ages, and experiences, the only common denominator is that they enjoy camping. Do as your mother told you, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Help keep this forum a friendly, safe, and informative site for all to visit!

Here Here I agree All the way.

Dan

Dannie & Carole
1994 Southwind ford 460 2006 Chevy Malibu
Brand New Banks Power Pack W/
Transcommand What a differance it made. No more crawling up the hill.Were on CB 13 are you

lake

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/05 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohnnyT, I agree 100% with your message and I certainly hope that all who post on this forum will read and observe your message. I often wonder what is the point of the caustic replies some folks make to various posts. All they do is show their meanness.

MasterBoondocker

nw lower Meeeechigan, TN and FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/05 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand the point very well - but when there is a post that is far beyond a simple personal opinion .....

When the post calls for data and facts and then when this info posted in reponse is just flat-out-wrong..........

then maybe straightening-out-the-facts is in order.

Just my $ 000000.02

Happy&CC

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also agree.... A little empythy goes a long way.

firedude

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/05 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bravo Johnny! Well written and I totally agree!

Tony

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Forum Conduct Updated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS