|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Elevation change in GA on I75

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CampinCrazy

Mascoutah, IL 62258

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/05 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading down to Fl from Illinois and the trip looks fairly flat until we hit the GA border on I75 heading towards Atlanta. Looks like we will hit the SW Appalachians out of Chattanooga. After Atlanta all looks good to Orlando. My other option is to take 65 out of Nashville down to Montgomery. Looks pretty flat but adds about 50 miles to the trip. The whole trip is starting out east of St Louis. Appreciate any feedback. CC

2005 Flagstaff 831BQSS
2003 Ford F250 Supercab 4x4 6.8L V10 Triton
Prodigy, E-Z WD Hitch
USAF Retired, 2006
Air Traffic Controller

"USE IT OFTEN AND HAVE FUN!"

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/05 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you are pulling a 50 foot TT with a Volkswagen there will be no problems. Hills, yes, big time hills, no. I-75 through Georgia is fine and dandy, and by the way go through Atlanta if not at rush hour, better than 285 bypass by all means and much more scenic.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

junmy3

Warner Robins GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/05 03:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As already stated on I-75 you have hills. If you plan to come I-26 from Nashville to Chattanooga, you will have one nice climb at Monteagle TN. It has been a while since I have been that way. I believe that it fairly steep for about 7-8 miles going up and down. Just don't worry about you speed and you should be fine.
When you see the exit for Warner Robins, just south of Macon, blow your horn and say Hi. I will be jealous because I will be at work. Oh well, just 2439 days left to retirement, but who is counting.

Have fun camping and God bless.

Jim & Junnie
2005 Sunline Solaris T-2553

thecaptain

Belleville,Mi.48111 USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/05 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just made the trip from Michigan to Florda on 75 with on trouble the hills are not bad at all.Going through Atlanta is ok try to miss rush hour, if you don`t just watch the signs it`s not to bad for a city.

Ken/Ellen(RET)
2000 F250 Superduty
7.3psd/Banksbrake/Smartlock/Trans command/3.73gear/Edge EZ module
2002/29ft-Terry 5er:

Take life one day at a time.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/05 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only major hill is Mt Eagle. If you take your time on it you won't have a problem. The curves are not sharp so you don't have to worry about bleeding speed off on the up or down hill. Just make sure you down shift to whatever gear you used going up and the engine should hold you back good enough.

As others have said, skip rush hour and just go straight through down town to avoid the traffic and save the extra miles.

I would be more worried about traveling I24 in Illinois. I remember having to slow down to 50 mph and still wanted to get off because the rig was crow-hopping so much. That's one section of interstate I'll probably never get back on.

Photo Albums
2004.5 Ram 3500 4x4 Quad-Cab SRW CTD 6-spd, XD9000 winch
2004 Lance 815 (an upgrade from my prev 2005 35' fiver )
DW (homemaker), 1 DD w/BS in Civil Engineering (TN DOT) and husband, 1 DD Clemson bound, 2 DFs (meow)

dogmom4

never, never land

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/05 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make the trip on I 75 probably 15 times a year. Going south seems to be mostly downhill. Small rises and longer downhill slopes.

BY ALL MEANS take I 75 straight through Atlanta. The traffic, etc. on the bypass is HELL! Also, DO TAKE the bypass around Macon, Ga.

Have a safe trip.

Sure you can trust the government......
Just ask an Indian.

Abuse Thrives in Silence!

Deimbt

Franklin, Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/05 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my van i usualy go thru Atlanta, but the milage from Nashville to Tampa is the same going I-65 to Motgomery Ala then on 431south. that is the way my brother-in-law has gone for the last 10 years I am going to go that way 3/18 it might be a little slower, but a lot less hills.

DEIMBT

SFDetB420VN64

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/05 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to me that the fundamental questions are: What is the loaded weight of your truck, what is the loaded weight of your trailer, what is the GCWR of your truck? Once you have these figures, you will have a much better idea of what you may be dealing with. Anyone agree?

“Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.”
MWhitner, Calvin & Hobbes quotes

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/05 01:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get down around Atlanta, if it's about time to find a campground, you'll love High Fall State Pk. south of there. Actually, all Ga. State Pks are absolutely beautiful.

RVman3252

Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/05 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drive I-75 to and from Florida quite often, as our daughter and son-in-law live in Clearwater. There is no problem going through Georgia at all. As the others said, go straight through Atlanta, and it’s best to miss rush hour if possible.

For a change of scenery we just returned from Ft. Myers by I-65. We went west on I-10 to US 231, north to Montgomery, picking up I-65. It was about 160 mile further, but a nice change. I don’t plan on going this way too often, but a friend of mine suggested we try this route. We did hit “rush hour” in Nashville, which really slowed us down, and it is certainly a longer drive that way for us.

Enjoy your trip!

RVman

RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD2500 V-10 Quad Cab 4x4 w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Elevation change in GA on I75
Search:   Advanced Search