Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Commercial Drivers License or CDL's

Posted By: JTorsrud on 03/19/05 07:57pm

This is an open question to all who may know the answers.

No specific states required.

But, how many individuals own 5th Wheels and have a CDL (commercial drivers license)?

Would be nice to know also, the states that may or may not require them?

Look forward to all the good feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, Brenda, and the Kids, Scooter & Mandy

2005 Heartland Golden Gate
2004 Dodge RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Cummins Turbo Diesel

Posted By: fppf on 03/19/05 08:03pm

I have a class A CDL with all endorsments.

NY does not require you to have a CDL, but....

If the total of the GVWR's is over 26,000 lbs you need an "R" endorsment. You get this by taking a road test with your RV.

1997 International 9800 Flat Floor COE
2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantuim AX6 365FLTS
Trailair Air Ride Pin Box with custom Fab auto ride height leveling
Trailer Wire Convertors:
2 wire to 3 wire
3 wire to 2 wire

Posted By: firefighterED on 03/19/05 08:05pm

This is a tough topic, for starters I have a Class A CDL, to my knowledge you do not need one in any state, other may tell you different. In my opinion I think there should be some sort of test or license. I feel most RVers are good drivers but there are some that could use some lessons, I guess that goes for all of us at times. Good luck ED

Posted By: TritonV-10 on 03/19/05 08:09pm

No CDL or commercal here, not required in MO

2000 Ford 4x4 F-250XLT Superduty SuperCab V-10
2004 Cardinal 29LE-RK 2 Slides
Reese 16K Kwik Slide Hitch

Posted By: bubba1wig on 03/19/05 08:11pm

I have a class B CDL but it's not required to pull a 5er. the only reason I have one is because of a little trucking business I started a few years back.

'02 Sea Hawk 29 fks triple slide
'02 Chevy HD2500 crew cab Duramax & Allison
Pullrite Superglide-Prodigy-TTT mirrors
Bob & Sue

Posted By: USAFBILL on 03/19/05 08:20pm

I have Class A with haz mat endorsement, not required in Alabama to operate any non-commercial RV rig.

2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Posted By: zulu3 on 03/19/05 08:21pm

I have a class A but I make my living with it!

Z3
Teamsters Local 162
Portland, OR

Posted By: tbax46 on 03/19/05 08:59pm

I have a Class B CDL. Texas doesn't require it. The guys in Austin may figure out how to put it in to make a few more bucks in fees, however, all the stock trailers on the road make it hard for them to pull off.

River Canyon, 34RLQSO
F-350 DRW King Ranch, 4.10LS
Trailair pinbox & suspension
USN & 'Nam Vet

Posted By: Foots on 03/19/05 09:04pm

I have a Class A CDL that I still keep updated.Used it in my business.

Johnny and Jane Hallman
Eatonton, Ga.
2005 291RLTS Jayco Eagle
2007 GMC 3500 D/A SRW CC
RDS Aux Fuel Tank

Posted By: Frank {:-{) on 03/19/05 09:10pm

Class A CDL with Haz-Mat, Tank & Motorcycle herein Va. Not required to pull my 5th. Make my living with it!
Commercial Drivers License or CDL's , they are the same one.
Later
{:-{)

{:-{)
2004 Ford F-350 6.0 PS, 4x4, Supercab, Short Bed
2005 Wildcat 29RLBS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K Quik Slide TrailAir King Pin
In Southeastern Virginia

Posted By: Commander on 03/19/05 10:00pm

All you have to worry about is the regulations in your home state all other states have to honer your individual states regulations.
Commander

Posted By: jim.mcgallan on 03/19/05 10:47pm

I have a class 2 W/air brake endorsement but not needed for the 5ver.

Jim Mcgallan
2008 F-350 6.8l V10 4X4 CC LB 4.30 gears, Lariat loaded with/Nav.
2007 Dutchman Northshore 320TS-M5
1 beautiful wife (25 years) and 2 adorable collies

Posted By: jorbill2or on 03/19/05 11:38pm

I have a Class A CDL with doubles/triples endorsement but I use it to make a living and not needed for a non commercial 5th wheel. as stated before what your state may require is all the other states must accept. CDLs are fed regulated.
I really do think a class or some basic training SHOULD be required to pull a 5er. Most do just fine but there are a few ... Just a basic $25 class of 2 or 3 hours would enlighten many!!!

My post's are my opinion The advice, comments etc are free and worth what you paid

Bill

Posted By: Cliford on 03/19/05 08:22pm

I have Class A ,CDL

2003 2500 Dodge CD
2000 Damon 27R Hornet
2005 Chev 1/2 ton Silverado
2007 Forest River Cherokee Lite 18DD TT

Posted By: Diesel D on 03/19/05 08:27pm

I have a one but you don't need it for fifth wheels or T.T in IL. I did get a break on my RV insurance because I do have a CDL.

2001 Silverado LT/ Duramax/Allison
Montana 3655FL w/ Trail Air/16K SuperGlide
Amsoil front to rear

Posted By: garth on 03/19/05 11:47pm

Quote:

Would be nice to know also, the states that may or may not require them?

Generally, in Calif as a Calif licensed resident you do not need a CDL/Class A license. However, if you're driving a truck pulling a 5er above 15,000#'s, or a truck pulling a travel trailer above 10,000, you need a Class A Noncommercial License.

Here's a link to the Calif DMV License Table that describes the different classes.

As long as you're not a Calif resident, your resident state's requirements would be applicable to you when you enter California.

[COLOR=#990000][b]Garth, Debbie, Riley & Uffie[/COLOR] [i][COLOR=#990000]~[/COLOR] [url=http://www.rvhighway.com/]Click for RVHighway.com[/url] [ul][*][COLOR=#000099]"[/color][url=http://www.rvhighway.com/photo_bed.htm]Uff Da[/url][COLOR=#000099]"[/color] [COLOR=#990000]~ [url=http://www.rvhighway.com/photo_Volvo.htm]Volvo 610 Motorhome[/url][/b] ~ [b]Pre EPA[/COLOR][*][COLOR=#000099]"[/color][url=http://www.rvhighway.com/photo_RI.htm]Horton[/url][COLOR=#000099]"[/color] [COLOR=#990000]~ Royals International 5'er[/COLOR][*][url=http://community.webshots.com/album/547963206vWxIJA]TrailerSaver[/url] [COLOR=#990000]Air Hitch[/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rvhighway.com/images/Volvo_pics/24.jpg]Pioneer[/url][COLOR=#990000] AVIC-N2[/COLOR][*][url=http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=YrZ%2BU8%2FkWXc%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0]Yaesu[/url] [COLOR=#990000]FT-857D[/color][/b][/ul] [b]"We got rid of the kids . . . The dogs were allergic!"[/b] :W

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Posted By: mike6256 on 03/19/05 11:59pm

No need for one in PA.

I am a fire chief for a volunteer fire company and it is amazing to me that they don't even require one to drive fire apparatus. Our tanker weighs 56,000lbs+ and with my signature anyone can drive it.
Kind of scary.

2003 Dodge 3500 dually 4wd (Diesel)
6spd w/4.10 rear
2012 Open Range 392BHS

Posted By: Gecko on 03/20/05 12:53am

I carry a Class A CDL with Haz-Mat, Tank & Motorcycle.....they are not required to drive a 5er or MH in Alaska.....

36.5' 2001 Damon Intruder 349
2006 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-71
2006 Pontiac GTO
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Posted By: Dakota 1 on 03/20/05 01:10am

I have a CDL A, but not needed in NY. I live in the Adirondack Mts. and not a season goes by that we don't see an inexperienced driver put a nice unit on it's side. I'm not sure what the answer is for that, but feel we are headed for something.

DakotaDakota 1

Posted By: balvert on 03/20/05 04:22am

Ontario requires a Class A CDL if the towed vehicle's axle weight exceeds 10,000 pounds. Taking my driver's test in two weeks.

Casey & Karen, Border Collies, Polly & Babe
04 Newmar Mountain Aire 34RDCK with tandem duals & XPS Ribs, Pullrite 25.5K Super 5th, MorRyde, Solar, RotoChoks
03 Dodge DRW Sport, Cummins, 4.10, 6 spd, MBRP SS Exhaust, Jacobs E-Brake, Tire Sentry, BrakeSmart

Posted By: J2 on 03/20/05 07:49am

I have class A,with T,N not needed for Rv but needed for work.It would not hurt for the state to add a RV class .

Posted By: Greentow on 03/20/05 08:00am

Have a CDL A with S & P endorsement. CDL for the school bus and fire truck's, but not needed in Delaware for RV's. (Ought to be but not required).
Lee

[blue]2004.5 Dodge 3500 DRW QC, 4x4 LB, CTD 600 ,auto,w4.10 ,PAC Brake, Prodigy, : 2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service. CCRVOC #29, GS Life member:B

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Posted By: mowermech on 03/20/05 08:03am

No CDL of any class. Montana doesn't require it for RV use.
When we were in California, I bought a boat and trailer, thinking I could tow it behind the 5er, since I see it all the time here. CHP told me a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement is required. I told them I was from Montana, where such a license wasn't required. They said they didn't care where I was from, I couldn't tow the boat behind the 5er without complying with their law, reciprocity be damned. Were they liars? I don't know, don't care. I made other arrangements to get the boat home. I am just stating what I was told. If it isn't true, blame the CHP officers in Oceano, CA, not me.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Posted By: fppf on 03/20/05 09:36am

Dakota 1
Yes there is something you need in NY state if your Rig is over 26,000 lbs.

Problem is most dealers wont come out and tell you this because they can loose a sale. If you ask they MAY tell you or play dumb.

Even most people at the DMV don't know about this and they had to look it up when I asked about it for my wife. It is however in the computer and they issue a learners permit first so you can take it to a road test.

mowermech
In many states towing doubles in illeagle unless you have a CDL with the doubles endorsment. I still can not get a straight answer from the NYS DOT if it is even leagle to do it with one in NY.

Posted By: jorbill2or on 03/20/05 10:05am

Off topic but States (many) do not allow a 5er to pull a boat etc behind the 5er no matter what the Home state allows.Even with my CDL and triples endorse. I cannot pull a Boat /util trailer behind my 5er in Oregon - A state that allows Triples!!!!
A commercial doubles combination is not the same. Think about it, The Boat / utility trailer is a "tag along" behind a 5th wheel and tends to wag all over the place due to the movement of the rear of the 5er --not 2nd 5th wheel using a converter dolly or Gear as it is called (another set of wheels and brakes!) for the second or third trailer which is much more stable.

Posted By: illapah on 03/20/05 10:48am

I have Nevada CDL to drive School bus.

BIG DOWNSIDE in NV, ALL traffic fines and points are double even in your private auto if you posess a CDL. I think I will give it up when I don't need it to work.

illapah
Ely, NV
'03 Montana 2955RL
'05 Ford F350 PSD

Posted By: GasHog on 03/20/05 10:59am

I have a Class A CDL w/mutiple endorsements, but not for my RV. I'm retired but might get bored and I won't give it up. Mike

Home is where the beach is

2002 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LB CC 4:10 6.0L
2005 Jayco Eagle 305BHS

Posted By: Trucktech on 03/20/05 11:41am

Class A here as well,, I'll never give it up, ex-otr driver.

Posted By: floatingpower on 03/20/05 01:22pm

What is the physical exam requirement for a CDL? If laws were changed to require CDL for RVs, how many people would be prohibited from RVing due to medical?

Posted By: fppf on 03/20/05 01:55pm

You don't need a med card to hold a CDL.

You only need a med card if your commercial and cross state lines.

Posted By: JRC on 03/20/05 02:27pm

I have a non commercial class B license for driving fire apparatus. Also you must take a test for each endorsement. If the vehicle has air brakes you must preform an air brake test to show you understand the workings of the braking system, as well as checking the system itself. I just completed this test yesterday and asked the examiner about 5th wheel trailers. He stated the test consisted of a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle, a skills test involving an alley dock, parallel parking, right turn and straight line backing. The final test is a CDL driving performance evaluation, which takes approximately 40 min. In all I believe most people would benifit by going through the process, it takes some time to absorb all the material and information, but when completed you will have a better understanding of what you can do with your vehicle and trailer.

1999 Dodge 2500 QC CTD manual 5 speed
2001 Carriage Cameo LXI F27RKS

Posted By: WWS_CMS on 03/20/05 05:46pm

I have a Class A CDL with air brakes and doubles endorsement. But not for my 5'vr. I need it for my Mon. - Thurs. job at SYSCO food services where I drive 18 wheelers and ocassionaly pull double trailers here in NC.

2005 Chevy 4500, Hauler Bed
2008 35L4QB Cedar Creek Silverback

Posted By: Rod Wise on 03/20/05 06:21pm

Have class A with all endorsements, including HazMat, passenger, and School bus; but not needed for RV here in Ohio.

Rod & DeeDee Wise
Good Sam Charter Life Member,IRV2,American Legion,Eagles,RV.Net
07 Chevy SRW 3500,4x4,D/A,ext.cab
04 Everest 343L

Posted By: NGRRFan on 03/20/05 07:21pm

Quote:

{snip} a skills test involving an alley dock, parallel parking, {snip}.
And just how many times do you back a trailer down an alley to a loading dock, or parallel park a trailer? While these may be necessary things for a Commercial driver, they have no business in the RV driving world.

Each state has different requirements for licensing depending on the weight of the tow vehicle. Colorado says that as long as I am not engaged in a commercial business then I can drive anything (motorcycles excluded) with my standard auto license.

Rich,and Tobi (the rescued dog)
Prowler 5ver, 84 Ford F250
KCOCOLOR78 Weather
Colo. Spgs. CO

Posted By: DO N DAT on 03/20/05 07:22pm

I have a class A CDL but it is not required in Calif. The following is from the DMV.

A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to the Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

—There is no fee unless your license is within six months of expiring.

—Law Test. You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.

—You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire or take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.

—No other tests are required.

1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Diesel, 2003 Triumph 365L

Posted By: Happy Apple on 03/21/05 06:33am

Have a Class B CDL with Hazmat endorsement for our farm business.
Ct. requires Physical every two years.

Posted By: fppf on 03/22/05 09:44am

Quote:

Someone said that it teaches you skill, or going through a CDL truck driving school teaches you skill. I said it doesn't teach skill, it shows you how to do things, only practice will teach skill..

First off a GOOD training school will teach you "Skill". I'm personal friends with the owner of a local CDL training school. His school is VERY popular with companys becuase he stresses SEAT TIME. You are correct, there are schools out there that just teach you what you need to know to pass a road test. His school gives 3 times more drive time than anyother school in the area. Most of his students get job offers right out of the school because company's know he teachs skills. He not only teachs stundents how to drive but how to live on the road. A trip to the local truck stop is done with each class. The students park in the parking lot with all the other trucks as the would in the real world. They learn how to scale there vehicle and they learn about the services at truck stops and how to use them. He also has a LOADED trailer so the students get the feel for driving with loads. I don't care if you have a 1,000 hours of seat time, if your not shown how to do it right you just wasted 1,000 hours doing it wrong and you would not even know.

Quote:

If having a CDL is so great, then why doesn't EVERYONE have one? Let's have a CDL for passenger cars, SUVs, vans, pickups, etc.

Yes lets think about this for a minute....
Um, yeah don't you have a drivers license? You did need to take a written test, get a permit, LEARN SOME SKILL, Take a SKILLS test to get your license to drive a car, SUV, Van, and pickup? I know I did! A CDL is just a license to drive BIG trucks, thats ALL IT IS.

So if you needed to LEARN and PROVE you can drive a CAR, why is it that you think you can just jump into an RV that weights 10 times as much a cruise down the highway?

Posted By: NGRRFan on 03/22/05 10:10am

Quote:

You did need to take a written test, get a permit, LEARN SOME SKILL, Take a SKILLS test to get your license to drive a car, SUV, Van, and pickup? I know I did! A CDL is just a license to drive BIG trucks, thats ALL IT IS.

So if you needed to LEARN and PROVE you can drive a CAR, why is it that you think you can just jump into an RV that weights 10 times as much a cruise down the highway?
Because the RV industry doesn't want it, the trucking industry doesn't want it, the insurance companies don't want it, and the state governments don't want it (a CDL license).

Just read the threads where people say they still do the speedlimit (or above) with their rigs. Or read the threads where we figure out that the tow vehicle isn't correct for the weight carried, and "being overwewight" is "ok".

On a personal level I'd like to see testing every two years. I had a heck of a time convincing my mother that she could no longer drive, but NO ONE would tell her that she couldnt'. We couldn't get the insurance company to help, the state wouldn't help, and her Dr. wouldn't help. As long as she could pass the vision test she could drive. I find that pathetic. All everyone is interested in is $$. If you take a license away from someone there goes a big chunk of change ($$) from a lot of people's pockets.

I commend those states that have a separate class license for RVs, but even those states are only concerned if the total weight is over 26,000 lbs. Why not be concerned with any towed weight or vehicle weight above say 6,000 lbs? And what is actually involved in getting that license? Is there a driving test or just a written test?

How many times have you known someone who could pass a written test but couldn't actually do the practical stuff? I know of several that were whizzes in highschool and college but dumber than a box of rocks when it came to the real world.

Just food for thought.

Posted By: fppf on 03/22/05 11:51am

NYS does require you to take a road skills test to get an RV endorsment on your license.

26,000 lbs seems to be the general cut off, don't really know where that number came from.

In NYS if you report a family member to the DMV they will force them to have a med exam to see if they are fit to drive.

NY has a lot of good laws that make sense, but we also have a lot of BS laws and pay to many taxes.

Posted By: v92c on 03/22/05 11:59am

This morning I went to the Texas Dept of Public Safety. I asked about getting a Class A Non CDL. They said as long as the total weight of my truck and trailer is less than 26001 lbs I dont need any license other than the Class C that everyone else has.

2004 Dodge 2500HD Cummins
2006 Bighorn 3655RD
16K Reese with Slider
My Photos

Posted By: fppf on 03/22/05 05:06pm

In TX if your RV is over 26,000 lbs you must have a Non-CDL class B or if you tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs a Non-CDL class A.

I don't know how it works in NY. I just know a family that did it and I think it was an independent doctor. Like they do for the CDL med cards.

Yes you don't need anything to own a vehicle but you do to operate it on public roads. And if your driving a vehicle that is owned by a company or trust you must be listed as a driver on there ins.

Posted By: v92c on 03/23/05 06:21am

Quote:

In TX if your RV is over 26,000 lbs you must have a Non-CDL class B or if you tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs a Non-CDL class A.

According to the TXDPS you do not need a Non CDL class A for a trailer over 10000. I specifically asked. Also I asked if I need to upgrade my license to drive a 3/4 ton truck with a 13000 lbs fifth wheel trailer. So I dont know about Class A or Class C RVs.

Posted By: fppf on 03/23/05 06:41am

Just telling you what all the escapee members from TX have told me.
Talk to the TX DOT. They all have Class A's, there over 26,000 lbs and there trailers are over 10K.

Posted By: WE5NACREEK on 03/21/05 09:22am

My DH (the driver) has a Class A CDL. However, a CDL is not required for towing or driving a RV in the state of VA (although, IMHO, it should be).

Spring is in the air!!!!

Sheila, Tom,
2 Kids (boy 14 and girl 9)
1 Skinny Shiba Inu dog 10 years
1 Chocolate Labrador Pup 5 years
1 Long Hair Chihuahua 3 years

2006 Chevy 3500-Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel/Allison 1000
2005 FR Cedar Creek 34RLBS

Posted By: NGRRFan on 03/21/05 08:13pm

Someone said that it teaches you skill, or going through a CDL truck driving school teaches you skill. I said it doesn't teach skill, it shows you how to do things, only practice will teach skill.

This also brought up another thought....

If having a CDL is so great, then why doesn't EVERYONE have one? Let's have a CDL for passenger cars, SUVs, vans, pickups, etc.

Posted By: jeffcollingwood on 03/22/05 08:56am

I got a Class A (non-commercial). I didn't need it, I just ended up getting it.

2007 Freightliner M2
2009 Hitchhiker CE 36 LKRSB
My Travel Webpage

Posted By: fppf on 03/20/05 09:24pm

Quote:

And just how many times do you back a trailer down an alley to a loading dock, or parallel park a trailer? While these may be necessary things for a Commercial driver, they have no business in the RV driving world.

LOL Thats Funny!

I see a LOT of RVers that could use the skills learned by this. I have seen anger soar to the point of Devorice sometimes!

I have walked over to some of the really bad cases and with a little coaching the RVer was able to get his rig in no problem. Its 100 times easier if you have been coached and shown the tricks of the trade.

Posted By: NEVERSWEAT7 on 03/20/05 09:48pm

I have a CDL for California. Here the CDL is referred to as California Driver's License. It does not mean Commercial Driver's License as far as I know. (Disclaimer: I am still learning things.. if I am wrong.. I will have learned something new which by the way.. is a great thing) On a traffic, parking, or any kind of a ticket, or on any legal form that is what CDL means. (Cousin and roomies were all law inforcement). In California, to pull a set of doubles of any kind you have to have a commercial drivers license which is referred to as a Class A drivers license. This also has to have a current medical card. Along with this are endorsements for air brakes, Haz mat, tankers/tendors etc, that are also part of that testing procedure. If what you are driving applies, that is what tests you will take and they are the endorsements you will have as a result. I have one and according to CHP, you must have a Class A and Medical certificate to haul/pull doubles again.. here in Ca. Doubles refers to any type of combination truck with two units of any kind behind your TV. It could mean a small 5er with a vehicle on a tow trailer. It may or may not mean having an air brake endorsement. Many variations, any two units. There are also different interpretations on the 65ft vs. 75ft overall towing length (in CA). I am getting two different meanings of what it is supposed to be. I will find the correct length. Because this will definitely apply to me, I am currently researching this phenomena with CHP and will enter the thread when I have concrete evidence.

2010 F-450 King Ranch Loaded. AeroTank 65 gallon auxillary tank/toolbox with timer,
2005 Alpenlite Portofino/ loaded/ 650 watts Kyocera Solar 2800 Watt Magnum Pure sinewave Inverter
Reese 24K Signature Series Fifthwheel Hitch Sig Series 30K Gooseneck

Posted By: chvyjwm on 03/20/05 10:26pm

I have Class A since I used to have my own auto transport trucking business. I keep it active as I still drive 18 wheelers occasionaly. By having it I get to take a p-test every couple years. Yeeaaaaay

Posted By: grey`eagle on 03/20/05 10:44pm

TX doesn't require a "Commercial" CDL for towing a RV. But -
This is a catch 22 situation with the weight combinations of the trailer.
We have what is called a "Classified Drivers License" and is not to be confused with "Commercial"

A Class "A" Classified is required for anything over 26,001#s and towing a trailer in excess of 10,000#s.
A Class "B" is required for anything over 26,001#s and up to but not over 10,000#s, farm trailers are good up to 20,000#s.

There was a post about a week ago from a guy in CA that got nailed on I-10 in TX for driving a large Motor Home towing a large alluminum trailer. He had art work all over the trailer which advertised his work. The weights and measures guys wrote him up for improper license. We never heard what the outcome was. He is some kind of writer that follows the racing circuit and does it for a living.

'04 F-250 PSD TV
'04 CF28CK Cruiser

Now enjoying mother earth at ground level and one mile per minute.

Posted By: reluyog on 03/20/05 08:49pm

I carry a CDL from former commercial driving.

Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO15, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

Posted By: bigfoot216 on 03/22/05 12:37pm

I have had my CDL w/all indictments for 11 years now. A little over a million miles now, not including what I put on my own vehicles.

Posted By: NGRRFan on 03/22/05 12:41pm

Quote:

This morning I went to the Texas Dept of Public Safety. I asked about getting a Class A Non CDL. They said as long as the total weight of my truck and trailer is less than 26001 lbs I dont need any license other than the Class C that everyone else has.
But lets assume that you have a Class A RV motorhome, or even a class C. Would you still have to get the non-CDL license to operate it? If not, why not? Those things weigh close to the weights we are talking about.

Again assuming you dont' need the license, why only for trucks and trailers? Sounds like discrimination to me.

Tim, you said that if you report a family member to DMV they will be forced to have a med exam.
1) Who does the exam? Family Dr? He/She isn't going to upset their patient and lose business when the person goes to another Dr. (Tried that with my mom.)
2) Independant Dr. - Now this makes more sense, that way Uncle Joe is mad at Dr. X and wont' ever see Dr. X again.
3) What does exam consist of? Range of motion? Reaction times? Hearing? Eye sight? What stops most elderly people is the first three items. They can still see, it's just that they can't turn their heads, or hear or react quick enough to a situation.

Some states may be ahead of others when it comes to some laws, but until the whole playing field is leveled people will find ways around the laws.

Keep in mind that you do not have to have a driver's license to purchase a vehicle, nor do you have to have insurance. A trust can be set up to own the vehicle and it can be insured through the trust's name.

* This post was edited 03/22/05 12:49pm by NGRRFan *

Print  |  Close