|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> replacement poles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
motx72

DFW

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need some advice.

We were camping a couple of weekends ago, and while setting up our blue Coleman Forester tent, I heard, "crraaack". Oh, no.

That's right! A section of the tent pole split down the middle. The pole did not break, but I would think it's only a matter of time.

What should I do? Replace the entire pole? Just that one section? Tape or repair the pole? Toss it out & buy a new tent?

I'd love to get your input & some words of experience on this. Thanks!

Our camping adventures! (etc.)

2000 Dodge Durango
1994 Viking SP195
1977 Ford F-150

BobJoh

Whitestown, IN 46075

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wallmart has replacement sections in two sizes. Flexable for smale and stiffer for larger tents. Three sections you slide together and cut off end if too long or use part of a forth if more needed. Includes the cord you string inside. I have 'lost' one of three and had to twice replace it the next season.EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Got too big a size,, it was too strong for my three man. Had to get the smaller diameter but this one was still stiffer than original so had to put in the two original poles first and this was the third one and on top of the bunch at the dome of the tent. Bought a tent at a garage sale and found the poles didn't match so cost more for a new set then a whole new tent on sale at WallMart.I carry tow three man dome tents in the MOHOme for when the grandskids are along and want to sleep outside.

* This post was edited 03/27/05 07:53pm by BobJoh *

BobJoh

retiredrockymtnboy

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I correct in assuming you are talking of a shock-corded pole section for a nylon tent? If so, the better camping/outdorrs stores have replacement kits for those.

2004 Ford F250 SD FX4 Supercab shortbed w/5.4, auto, 3.73, and 2002 8 1/2ft Fleetwood Angler. Complimented by a great pup named Shavano.

emmee102

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/05 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have successfully used tape in the past, duct tape holds the best. I only use this as a temporary fix, usually when one pole starts to crack others will too. You can either replace the poles of the tent is worth it or pitch it and get a new one.

I am currently shopping for a new one and I hate it. Can't find what I want/willing to pay for!!

Only 14 days til camping....I want to be there NOW!!

09 Dodge Ram Crew Cab...with a Hemi and lots of toys.
08 Rockwood Premier 2307, with many options

Me (30ish)
DD 15 y.o.

downtheroadIgo

Memphis, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/05 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the same experience, a few times. I always carry a splint. It's a short piece of pastic pipe just big enough to slide over the pole. You can slide it over the pole and duck tape it in place for a splint. Of course, this is a temporary fix.

When you get home, you can buy repair kits from Walmart, most sporting goods stores or order them from Campmor. The repair kits come in different diameters. Make sure the kit you buy, matches the diamters of your existing poles. You don't want to replace all of the poles when you only have one broken pole. The kits come with a threading needle and new shock cord. They're easy to use.

Campmor used to carry a number of complete poles in various lengths and diamters. You would see them in the catalog occasionally. They disappeared from the catalog several years but after they disappeared I was able to call and order one that fit a Eureka Sunrise 9. I was told, at that time, that they didn't sell enough to list them in the catalog or on-line.

A permanent solution would be to order replacement aluminum poles from Quest Outffiters, http://www.questoutfitters.com/ They sell fabrics and supplies for the outdoor do-it-yourselfer. They sell 18" sections in two diamters and the shock cord. However, you have to ask yourself is there enough life left in the tent itself to justify the cost of replacing the poles with aluminum. You don't want to replace part are all of your poles and then blow a zipper. Quest sells the zippers too, but my wife has already told me she's not replacing a tent zipper. When the zipper blows and the quick fix wears out, it's time for a new tent.

downtheroadIgo

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Eureka Sunrise 11
Eddie Bauer canopy

02CAMP

Charleston,SC,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/05 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact Coleman customer service and they may surprise you with a free set of poles. Coleman recently replaced an entire tent for me. A corner pole support was torn off after a couple of uses. Slumberjack replaced a set of poles after one cracked in high winds. Eureka did the same for a friend of mine. All it took was a phone call. Now thats what I call customer service.

2006 Ford F-250 6.0 PSD 3.73 LSD
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 30FWRES
16K Reese Slider, Tow Command, Magellan GPS

motx72

DFW

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/05 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well everyone,

Like 02CAMP suggested, I simply gave the Coleman customer service a call, and guess what? They are sending me a replacement pole . . . . . for free! That's right! How about that for backing up your product??? Looks like we'll be off & camping in our blue Coleman tent in a couple of weeks after all!!!

I'll remember this the next time we go looking for a tent or any other camping equipment. Price is one thing, but "backing your product" seems to be a rare comodity these days. Thank you Coleman! And thanks to everyone for your responses. Great suggestions, and I've got them all saved for future emergencies.

Spring is here . . . . . GO CAMPING!!!

* This post was last edited 03/29/05 05:11pm by motx72 *   View edit history

cwestbrook

Sulphur Springs, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/05 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great for you and for Coleman.

FYI for anyone with a brand other than Coleman, I bought replacement poles just a couple of years ago from Campmor. They fit well and worked great. They're still in the latest catalog (Spring 2005).

Connie

Frank_EP

Fountain Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/05 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In lat 1985 I bought a used dome tent. An LL Bean tent, it was nice, but
somebody had dropped a piece of flaming charcoal on the rolled up tent,
making a lot of holes. The poles started to indicate failure in about 2000.
Little bits of fiberglass poking out. So I carry a roll of electrical tape and
tape any poles that crack or shed.

In about 2000 I started looking at yard sales for tents having poles that
might work out. 3 years ago I spotted a nice tent for a few bucks. Like
all yard sale stuff, it was a gamble. OK, well it is a NorthFace 4-season 3-man
dome of the same exact pattern as the Eureka from 20 years ago. Much
better tend. The situation is reversed. I keep the Eurika in its bag; if the
new tent has pole problemsI will use the Eureka poles.

Watch those yard sales.

2003 Lance 1071 maxed out plus 200 watts PV, accumulator and bottle opener
2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 167", Hellwig, Reese Titan, Reese Front, LineX, AirLift, bed mat, Rancho9000, Rickson 19.5" Eliminators with Mich 225/70 XDE M/S
KF6JGX; 5W on Yaesu FT530

Me & Her

FLA-USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/05 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frank_EP
I have an old LL Bean tent about the same age as yours.
Had problems with the poles a year or so back, called LLBean and they sent new ones. Mine was a GEO-DOME. It's worth a try.

MMII E-350 XLT Ext SD V-10 Van
LL Bean Tent and a Coleman Cooler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> replacement poles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS