|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Question about Class A with young kids

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
BobS073

Long Island NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello to all, first time posting on this board. I have a 21' travel trailer that I have been using for the past three years with my wife and 2 small kids. Age 5 and 7. We have been thinking about upgrading. If we go to a bigger trailer, we have to buy a new truck, so we just started looking into the Class A's. My question is, is there anybody out there that uses a class A with young kids, if so, does it work well for a family, any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank You.

Bob

Chemgoddess1

Suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a class A that we bought almost 3 years ago. It is an older unit, which I think is more kid friendly than the newer units. The boys are now 9 and 11, but were 7 and 9 when we got her. The big draw on the unit that we got is the pull down bunk over the driving area. This gives us the possibility of sleeping 7. We have several trips that we have had 8 in the MH, 3 adults, 13, 11, 9, 9, and 5 and had no problems. We bought an inverter and now the kids go down the road either watching a DVD or playing x-box.

Our only problem is having to take 2 vehicles. If we are going somewhere close, I will drive the truck with the bikes and firewood. If we are going someplace far I use an enterprise rental. We do not camp enough to justify buying a toad and hookup.

BTW...Welcome! This is great place but beware, it is addictive!!

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (spoiled rotten Jack Russell)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

live well, laugh often, love much

AreWeThere

Southeast GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/05 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobS073,
Me and my DW use a Class A to travel with small kids. Our to children are age 3 and 9 months. It is very convient to pull over, use the restroom, make lunch, change diapers, etc. Ours is a triple slide, so we have lots of room for the kids to run and plan when we are set up at camp. The reason we started motorhoming was because of the kids. We hated going on a trip and having to load and unload an entire house at every hotel, also the thought of who has slept in the beds and used the tub. DW always had to clean the tub and toilet with bleach when we stayed at hotels, but now we know who is using our facilities. I believe the Class A makes for a great home away from home for the kids.
John

Me, DW, Daughter 8 yrs., Son 5 yrs.
'07 HR Endeavor 40SFT
'07 Jeep Wrangler Toad

jmanatee

Alstead, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/05 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I travel with our 7 year old son. We have a great time He can do his homework or watch TV or go to the bathroom. It really cuts down on the "Are we there yet"

Or A Class has seat belts at every seat (Dinette, Couch, Rocker,..) So he stays belted while moving....

Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2008 Monaco Cayman XL 38PBD

Denise Fitz

Maynard, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just finished up a 12 day trip with our 6...ages 2-13. Ours is a '78 Bluebird, so no slides, and not a huge amount of space for 8 people. I really thought that by the end of the trip we would all be tired of eachother and ready to go home. But none of us was ready to be done. The kids had a ball and space was never an issue. As was said before, it's great to be able to pull over anywhere and have your wn bathroom and kitchen.

The Fitz clan, 3 girls, 3 boys and one straggly mutt
'78 Bluebird Wanderlodge
www.johnfitz.com

bob_b

Souderton, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/05 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my doubts initially, but a Class A was a great choice for my family. My daughters are now 8&9. They were 6&7 when bought ours two years ago. They fold out the sofa without a problem. Everybody has a clear view of the road when traveling. It is a great way to travel with kids. Go for it!

'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates

96Bounder30E

America is my home!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/05 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 daughters.....a 5 and 8 year old.........our class A is the best platform for our family........the first time you don't have to pull over for them all to go potty you will be convinced......

A soda and a sandwhich prepared at your asking while trotting down the highway is a nice thing too........

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Robert78121

Washington DC Area (NOVA)

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really looked hard at Class C's because of the extra sleeping accomodations, but I just hated giving up all that living area that the Class A's offer. It's like a huge family room with the slides and the captain and co-pilot chairs turned around facing the living area. Also, I think that the entry level Class A coaches are a lot of times cheaper than the equivalent Class C.

We have two kids ages 9 and 7 and have been RVing for more than 6 years with great results. My kids love it. I love the fact that they keep busy with games and TV while I'm driving. Much less heartache for me. I think you'll find that driving down the road with a 34' motorhome and the kids WAYYYY in the back is a lot better than everyone on top of you in a truck or car.

We use a toad nearly everywhere we go. It doesn't have to be a seperate vehicle. It can easily be your daily driver depending upon what that is. You can get a baseplate for many cars and trucks and driveshaft disconnects are always a possibility. Also, tow dollies let you tow just about any front wheel drive car.

Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

Blue Skies

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

. . .is there anybody out there that uses a class A with young kids, if so, does it work well for a family, any thoughts would be helpful.Bob

Bob,

Once you travel with a bathroom, fridge and microwave along with the kids' favorite DVDs, you'll never want to travel any other way. There is no better way to keep a baby dry, comfortable and fed on long trips than a motorhome especially with all the stuff they require away from home.

My wife's biggest complaint is that she never gets to relax playing stewardess to the little ones throughout the trip.

Some other things we have learned (sometimes the hard way):

Children's headsets will help keep the ride a little quieter or else you have to put the entertainment center volume above the road noise level and that gets old quickly.

I had to secure metal floor plates with large carriage bolts in order to install seatbelts to strap in their car seats in our Rexhall Aerbus. We do keep the kids secured while traveling and only allow them to un-click for bathroom breaks. If you give the little guys an inch of freedom on the road, their travel excitement becomes hard to control when unrestrained.

It is impossible to find forward facing passenger seats with belts for the kids in any manufactured Class A coaches. Elburn Bill (who has some posts on this site) has the most kid friendly coach I've seen with four Flexsteel passenger seats, a bathtub and a triple bunk bed in the rear. However, he started from scratch with a custom design that the majority of us may not have the resources to construct.

Some threads in this forum that might help make your decision easier:

Class A and Kids Debate

Class A Gas with small kids

Children Traveling in Class A Motorhomes

travel at night with your small kids

car seat aged children

kids - where to put car seats, etc

John

* This post was edited 03/24/05 10:13am by Blue Skies *

David&Sharon

Central California

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/05 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two kids at home, age 9&14. We too started looking at class Cs because of the over cab bed. We soon realized a class A was a much better driving/living experience. Great views and better ccc.

Look for a large living room slide with a hide-a-bed sofa. Ours folds out with a good mattress that is plenty big enough to sleep both boys. Also the dinnette will convert if we ever need another bed.

David

---

David & Sharon
'Little' David (age 13, 6'2") and Samson (long haired Chihuahua)
2000 National RV SeaView 8341
Ford V-10, Dual Slide

_

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Question about Class A with young kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts