Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Goodyear G670 RV tires

Posted By: rjohn91ron on 04/16/05 07:57am

I just returned from a trip south. Before I left I purchased 6 new G670's for my rig as the tires I had on were 7 years old and I did not want to take a chance with tires that old which I knew had to be replaced. Tires cost me $1290 for 6. During this trip I had one blow out (not flat) on the way down and one Blow out on the way back. Dot inicated the tires were made in nov 04. I checked to make sure air pressure was properly inflated and had rig weighted before I left to make sure proper air pressure was in tires. Not very happy with these tires. Wrote goodyear and have had no response. I did have the tires replaced at no charge to me during this trip as I did not want to travel without a spare. Anyone else have problems with the G670's. Should I get rid of them and get something else. Now I have that fear that another blowout is in the future. Should I feel safe using these tires with the experience I just had. One blowout on the dules which was controlable but the other blowout was on the front right and it wasen't easy controling the rig to a stop. Don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Ron 98 32ft Georgetown
Towing 2001 saturn SL2
Brake buddy assist

Posted By: 4wheel on 04/16/05 08:37am

I have been across country and back on my
G670's with no problems at all. I have only
had to ajust the air pressure twice in
almost two years.

2003 Bounder 32W
V-10,Steer Safe
Davis Tru Trac
Henderson's Rear Trac-Bar
02 Xterra 4X4 Auto
They say it can't be towed,
but I Toad it anyway,
Aventa II & Brake Buddy
And now, Centramatic

Posted By: LVJ58 on 04/16/05 09:16am

This is the first I've heard of anyone having problems with the G-670's. Could you give us some more details on the blow-outs, what size tires, and was the blowout on the sidewall or tread, also the location of the problem tires, ie., front, rear, inside or outside dual.

Thanks, Jim

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Posted By: golfman 1 on 04/16/05 08:51am

I've have a lot of miles on mine and have had zero problems.
Roger

2000 Mountain Aire 4093 Double slide DP"the Dreamweaver"
2001 Honda Odyssey
Retired and living life to the max.
See you on the road.

Posted By: Sully2 on 04/16/05 08:54am

A question if I might? You said you had your tires "properly inflated". Were they at the inflation that the MEASRED WEIGHT indicated them to be...or were they are the MAX pressure that the chart inside your coach says they are to be?

Oh! BTW...what size tires are they?

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

Posted By: topflite51 on 04/16/05 09:17am

Also were these tires the same size that came off? And were they front or rear that blew?

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Posted By: rjohn91ron on 04/17/05 06:39am

The tires were purchased from a tire dealer in my area in business for many years and known to be reputable. Tires size was G670 225/70/R19.5. The same size as the michelins I replaced and the ones called for on the sticker by the manufacturer on the drivers door. Each tire cost me $215.00. I checked the dot and all were manufactured the latter part on 04. Had them balanced and new stems put on.

Had the rig weighted before I left at the tranfer station in my town on their scales which I was told was installed 3 years ago. Had the rig weighed with everything in it for my trip including my traveling companion and full tanks. On my originial tires I ran them with 65 lbs as per sticker suggestion at my weight factor. Never had a problem. I checked the goodyear listing for weight and tire pressure and ran the tires with 70psi which should have been fine.

Of the 2 tires which blew out (sidewalls) one was a outside rear left side tire and the second was a front right side tire. I checked the pressure that morning at a flying J. Came out of a campground 2 miles from the flying J so tire were not hot. Checked it and 70 psi was in it. After driving about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs that tire blew.

As I said I did write goodyear explaning what happened. Maybe they will check my records and fine out where the tires were replaced and will check the tires. If I hear anything back I will post it. Haven't heard anything yet.

I do feel more confident with your comments on not having any problems. Seems I did everything I should have but I did travel for 4000 miles so I guess anything can happen. Thanks again for your input.

Posted By: Old Snipe on 04/16/05 10:05am

I have now over 25,000 miles on my Goodyear G670s (19.5s) and have had no issues. I check the tire pressures (cold, in the morning) before each trip and over the last 2 1/2 years have only needed to add air, just a couple of PSI, twice. I run 5 PSI higher on each tire than the coach plate says, just a little extra insurance. I can't tell any difference in ride quality at the slightly higher pressure. My rig is not overweight and I drive around 62-65 mph on the open highway. I am sorry to hear you've had so much trouble when you endeavored to prevent tire problems. Could it be a faulty installation or bad valve stems causing the problems? Have the replacement tires had any further problems? We'd love to hear the outcome of this unusual problem.

Best Regards!

Paul D
2007 Winnebago Journey 39K, Cat C7 350 HP
(aka "R SANITY")
2003 Honda Element 4WD Toad
www.rsanityrvtravels.blogspot.com

Posted By: Sully2 on 04/17/05 06:48am

rljohn91 wrote:

I do feel more confident with your comments on not having any problems. Seems I did everything I should have but I did travel for 4000 miles so I guess anything can happen. Thanks again for your input.

Ron: Two things on a coach I REFUSE to use is cheap brakes and cheap tires. After a conversation with a "maker of highline motorhomes" I was advised to change to Goodyear G670 295/80R22.5's next spring when I buy new tires. This coach builder had been using Toyo's for years and last year had some "incidents" with the Toyos and were planning on using the Goodyears for their 2006 production. So that says something for the quality...if a company like that plans on using them.

You may have had a couple of bad tires..?? Or you may have scuffed the sidewalls on a short curb enough to damage them without realizing it...but Im sure THAT would have shown up when they got changed out...??
Anyway..I wouldnt lose faith in them if I were you.

Posted By: Tcloud on 04/16/05 09:42am

I also had 6 of them put on the Motorhome last Oct. and have had no problems at all. I did order the next weight up from what was on it. I went from an F to a G. The F was rated to match the weights on the spec. sheets for the Motorhome. putting on the G made the weight about 400 lbs more per tire. I always have the Motorhome weight checked before leaveing on a long trip with water propane and fuel tanks full,and I stay with in the weight on the spec. sheets. By going to the G means the tire is rated for more then its carrying. The price from the F to the G was the same.
We just got back from a 10,000 mile trip with not one problem.

Dave

1999 Adventurer 275 Cummins Model 34V

Posted By: dicnic on 04/16/05 09:21am

Sumptin' funny here if you only paid $1290.00 for six (6) Goodyear G670s unless they are a teeny tiny size. Everyvody on RV.net has paid a little over 2 grand for 6 22.5 size, the 19.5s are not much cheaper. Perhaps you bought seconds? Or had someone other than a truck tire place mount them? This is the first I have ever heard of ANY problems with these tires. I have 6 and they are great. But, I only need 90 lbs of air in them. Perhaps, as the previous poster asked, they were inflated to the maximum shown on the sidewall?

Sold our 2001 National Tradewinds, might buy a new on someday.

One Bald-Headed Old Guy (me)
One Jewish-American Princess (DW)
Two Birman Cats, Mocha & Coco

I speak three languages: English, Sarcasm & Profanity

Posted By: CaFlyFisher on 04/16/05 05:47pm

I will assume that you are running 19.5's based on the load ratings and prices that I see. But even for 19.5's $1290 for 6 seems to be almost too good to be true, if you know what I mean. Generally they are almost twice the price you paid.

I run 275/70R22.5 G670-RV's (Load Rating 'H') on my coach and have not had a problem with them. They ride good, handle very well and I feel (my own humble self-biased opinion of course) that they are a better, safer tire for a heavy motorhome (especially the diesels) than the other brands (but most notably, Michelin's).
Something sounds totally amiss there on your coach to have not one, but two blowouts from new G670's.
I never hear or read about a problem with Goodyear G670's, so your issue stands out.
What size tire, load-rating, type of coach, etc. do you have?

Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 43'
Saturn Vue
Blue-Ox
Visited ALL 50 states in the U.S.of A.

Posted By: Milo006 on 04/16/05 03:34pm

Try this site for inflation information tires on your G670s.

Milo and Di
2004 Georgetown XL 370
Ford V-10
2005 Chevy Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab towed vehicle

Posted By: Ishmael Nomad on 04/16/05 03:53pm

Wow, a first for me to hear of this kind of failure as well. I put over 65,000 miles on my first set of G670/s, with nary a problem save the one I rolled over a piece of rebar. In my experience, just a not have to worry tire once properly inflated to match the weight being carried. I liked them so much that I recently replaced all six with a new set albeit the "G" rated rather than the "F". I have recommended them to others without qualification and, until now, have had no reason to not. Is there something else going on here?

Cheers,

I, Nomad

3yr Full Timer; 2001 Allegro 33DA
Towing either: Honda CRV or 100th Anny FLSTF

Posted By: rjohn91ron on 04/22/05 07:28am

final outcome. First the motorhome weight is 5500# front and 11500# rear Total 16000#. Scale indicated Approx same. Did not have much fresh water in tank as I wanted to save gas and did not need a lot of frest water while driving. Rig was loaded with food etc (not much stuff) along with myself and passenger. Plate on door called for 65psi per tire and I put in 70psi. In the 6 years I was on the michelins that is what i used and had no problem at all.

Good year did call me after I sent them the e-mail. Had me go to the dealer where I purchased the tires to have them check the remaining 4 tires I had left out of the 6 I bought. Told me they looked ok. They called the goodyear rep and then told me they were told to replace the remaining 4 tires. They put on new tires along with the 2 I had replaced on the trip. Now I have 6 new goodyear 670'S all made in 05 on. They told me to run the tires with the max load rating of 95psi and if I did not they would not replace the tires a second time. Of course I do not know how they are going to know if I do that or not but that is what they asked me to do. Anyway I still have no idea what happened to the 2 tires that blew. I do not know if goodyear was able to get these 2 tires that blew but I feel safer hearing your comments about goodyear 670's and now have 6 brand new tires on. I guess thats the end of my saga. Thanks for your input. Ron

Posted By: Bruce Brown on 04/17/05 06:58am

rljohn91 wrote:

I checked the pressure that morning at a flying J. Came out of a campground 2 miles from the flying J so tire were not hot. Checked it and 70 psi was in it. After driving about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs that tire blew.

I've always been told if you've driven more than 1 mile then the tire pressure is to be considered "hot" - and we live in Northern NY. Seeing as you were in the South, what was the outside temperature and how much did you adjust these tires, up or down, to get to the 70 PSI.

This is the first issue I've heard about with the G670RV tire and am just wondering if it may have inadvertently been pressure related.

One good thing you mentioned was both were replaced at no cost to you - and thats something the rest of us with tire failures haven't seen.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Posted By: Old Snipe on 04/22/05 11:28am

rjohn,

Thanks for the final update. Glad to see Goodyear took care of you.

Happy travels!

Best Regards!

Posted By: w4phj on 04/20/05 08:36pm

I'm currently running GR 670's 275/70R/22.5 H's. Had to true and balance 2 but no problems otherwise. Previous coach had 245/70R/19.5 F's. They ran 24K with no problems. I feel very comfortable having Goodyears on my coach.

2005 Bounder 37U Cat C7 Engine
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 Dodge Durango SLT Plus 4X4
ARRL Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Posted By: fortytwo on 04/17/05 06:47pm

I replaced my 4 1/2 year old 19.5 159's with 670's last summer after a sidewall knot on a front and then a sidewall blowout on a dual. Put about 9k on the 670's with no problems.
I suspect you had two faulty construction tires. I bought the MH new in 2000 and while relocating the spare to a different compartment found it to have blown out through the sidewall. When the tire was removed the Goodyear service department found that the inside liner portion of the tire was never completed. You could see the rusty steel cords inside the tire. The tire was a "Friday before Christmas" dated tire. Incidently, the tire had to have been blown before the zombies at the MH factory put it in the compartment. Would have blown the compartment door off, and more, had it blown there.
I would check and if all your tires have the same build date I would hit Goodyear up for replacing all of them. Had to be a bad run somewhere!

Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Posted By: Phillerup on 04/17/05 07:33pm

We have had them since 03 with 20,000 miles. No Problem related to Goodyear.

2003 Newmar DSDP 4005 dual slide king bed Spartan 350 Cummins 2004 Jeep Liberty 4X4 tow, SeaEagle boat in basement

Posted By: DaveMac on 04/23/05 12:03am

I don't like that Goodyear answer -- run the tires at 95 psi. I run my GYs, G-159, 245/70, 19.5s at 80 front and 75 duals. 95 would give me a very harsh ride! And my coach weighs in at 16,250 loaded for a trip. Maybe I'll stick with the G-159s when I buy new ones. Currently have 33,000 miles on present tires, no significant tread wear, but coming up on seven years old. Never have had a flat or any other failure and never rotated.
Would like to hear from others running G-159s.

2007 FIESTA LX
TRITON V-10 & JEEP LIBERTY TOAD
3 TIMES RETIRED
CH. 13 "BLACKJACK"

Posted By: CA Traveler on 04/22/05 10:02am

rljohn91,

Interesting input, thanks for following up. Perhaps GY knows or suspects a manufacturing problem with your tires.l They may have said use the maximum pressure because they can't confirm your weight, but I would follow their advice.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Posted By: Box Kicker on 04/20/05 08:22pm

We've gone about 8,000 miles on a new set without a problem. Running 85# with our load.

Box Kicker(ret.)
2002 Bounder 36U
2002 Jeep Liberty Toad
Excalibar Tow Bar
Brake Buddy System

Posted By: grm77979 on 04/17/05 08:37pm

I have been happy with mine. This is the first time I read about anyone having a problem with them.

Glen

1997, 40' Mountain Aire DP, one slide
325 Cummins, 6 speed Allison

Toad - Jeep Wrangler

Posted By: CaFlyFisher on 04/20/05 09:04pm

Duplicate post. Sorry 'bout that.

Posted By: CaFlyFisher on 04/22/05 10:26am

Ah yes, all's well that end's well!
Good luck with your new G670's. They should serve you well.

Posted By: jimhaz2402 on 04/17/05 07:01am

You did not mention that you had each of the four corners weighed. Before I had my ride height adjusted recently, my R rear was 1500 lbs more than my L rear!! And yet I was always in the envelope of
safety for that axle. That's why weighing all four corners is so critical. I was lucky that I didn't have blowouts before I got the ride height corrected.

Posted By: jeep2relax on 04/17/05 08:55pm

I don't know the weight of your coach but according to the load inflation table from Goodyear the 225/70R 19.5 are good for 2895 single and 2720 dual at 70 PSI, for the six tires that is 16,670 Lbs max load if all the tires were loaded exactly at their limit.
What is the weight of your coach?

* This post was edited 04/18/05 10:46pm by jeep2relax *

Posted By: jeep2relax on 04/20/05 07:57pm

ok we have some information on some possibly defective tires. A tire that a lot of us are apparently using on our MH's.
We have the size, the inflation pressure, tire position, all we need is the weight of the coach to determine if we have anything to be concerned about...you said you had the coach weighed....Please tell us what it weighed....

Posted By: jeep2relax on 04/23/05 01:11am

as I posted earlier at the inflation he was running he was good for 16,670 Lbs max load if all the tires were loaded exactly at their limit. He said his weight was approx 16,000 lbs. Not a lot of wiggle room there. It is very possible one or more corners of his rig were over loaded.

Your running 245/70, 19.5s at 80 front and 75 duals which would be good for 21,840 lbs max load if all tires were loaded at their limit. That gives you a pretty good margin of safety over your weight of 16,250.
I would agree that running the max inflation would seem a little conservative but the pressure he was running before just seems to low for me.

My coach has the 245/70 19.5's and the recommended pressure is 80 psi all around, which gives me 22,400 lbs max loading in a perfect world. My coach weight is 18,000 lbs so that allows 4,400 lbs of play for uneven loading.

This post is not meant to point fingers or upset anyone, this is just my take on what happened and what I believe that I have learned from this event.

If any of my numbers above are in error please feel free to correct me. I calculated the loads from the load charts on www.goodyeartires.com

Happy motoring, and no more blown tires please.

Posted By: LVJ58 on 04/23/05 09:51am

Hi DaveMac, We also have the G159's on our 2000 coach with exception of the front tires that are Bridgestones. The duals and tag are the Goodyear's load range "F" and the front are Bridgestones load range "G". We replaced the front Goodyear's with the Bridgestones as we couldn't get the Goodyear's to stay balanced. Our coach weighs approximately 21,500 loaded for travel with 2 bodies. We run 75psi all the way around and with 36k miles on the coach no problem so far. After driving a hundred miles or so, when we pull in at a rest stop, I place my hand on the sidewall to check for excessive heat and so far, no excessive heat. Same as with your tires, ours reflect minimal tread wear and I don't rotate them either. When tire replacement time comes around, I plan to go with "G" rated tires all the way around.

Jim

Posted By: TropicalRV on 08/16/06 10:30am

My motorhome is 6 years old and has 30K miles. I've run my 245/70X19.5 tires at 85 psi (the maximum on the sidewall) regardless of load. So far, no problems. I plan to replace them next year.

Paul
2001 Tropi-Cal 6350, Ford V-10, 310HP, 7.77 MPG
2002 Honda CRV 2WD, 27 MPG

Posted By: DFord on 08/16/06 02:41pm

No need for "G" rated tires here. If you divide the 5500 lb rating by 2 = 2750 lbs each tire and 11500 by 4 = 2875 lbs each tire. These figures are well within the capacity of the "F" rated 225/70R19.5 G670RV tires.

At the minimum of 70 psi inflation, the 225/70R19.5 G670RV can safely support 2895 lbs each when used as a single tire and 2720 each when used as dual tires. That would give you 5790 lbs on the front axle and 10880 lbs on a dual rear axle. Remember, those loads were at the minimum pressure of 70 psi.

At the maximum inflation pressure of 95 psi the "F" rated 225/70R19.5 G670RV tire will carry 3640 lbs as a single and 3415 lbs when used for duals. 3640 x 2 = 7280 lbs for the front axle and 3415 x 4 = 13660 lbs when used on a dual rear axle.

With the 5500 lb front axle and 11500 lb rear axle the "F" rating is well within the capacity of this application.

As long as you're not close to the rated load figures, there is no reason to pay the extra $$ for the "G" rated tires.

Reference:
Goodyear's Website ->
http://www.goodyear.com/rv/tirecare/loadinflationtables.html

Posted By: fortytwo on 04/23/05 07:15pm

DaveMac, see my previous post in this thread. My 159's had 2/3 of the tread left after 50,000. Had less than 5 years out of the mold when they started failing. Coach, loaded for 5 month trip, was weighed at each wheel when new. A'Weigh-We-Go provided inflation recommendations, which I added a bit to. I had over 500# extra capacity on every tire.

From my discussions with three different Goodyear Truck Shops (took that many to get the correct tires) they won't tell you not to run them, just "after 5 years it's the customer's decision". The long held Tribal Wisdom of 7 year tire life clearly isn't supported by Goodyear.

If I still have this MH in 4 more years I'll search for the best package deal on 6 new replacements for the 670's.

Posted By: Beavis on 04/23/05 11:05am

I dThey told me to run the tires with the max load rating of 95psi and ifid not they would not replace the tires a second time. Of course I do not know how they are going to know if I do that or not but that is what they asked me to do

rljohns91

Yes Goodyear can tell if the tires were run at 95 psi when tested in the lab.
They can also tell if the 4 that were sent back had suffered any damage due to under inflation or over load (which will cause the same end result)and then they may determine that the origional pressures were too low and change the recomended cold pressure. Their way of using you to help them solve a problem for "all" the folks out there using the product.
If they ride so hard that its a problem , talk to them and they will help you.
Trust me , Goodyear is more interested in getting to the bottom of this than you are. They dont want to loose customers no more than you want to loose tires.

And I want to continue drawing my Goodyear Tire & rubber co pension.

American Dream
New Road King- Just for fun
FMCA 288578

Posted By: Sully2 on 06/28/06 08:54am

rrobert wrote:

Don Don, thanks for the final outcome.
Tire Guy, I have to admit I haven't weighed the coach. I guess a trip to the scales is in order. You asked about corner weights. Are you suggesting weighing each corner separately? I have weighed front and rear before but never at each corner. How is that done? BTW- the placard in the coach shows front weight at 7,500lbs and rear at 14,500lbs with a GVWR of 22,000lbs. We were traveling very light (1/4 tank of water, minimal food, etc...)

In SOME cases..that wont matter...even EMPTY you MAY BE overweight on the front axle.... There has been more than one coach that HAD TO run a lot of water for the weight to LIFT the front end up and take some of the weight off the front axle.

Posted By: Sully2 on 06/28/06 07:18am

jerseyjim wrote:

I run my 19.5" Goodyears at 80 pounds all around.

Back in April I suffered my first blow-out, just east of El Paso. The tire repair person thinks I probably hit something. But... It seems here on the forum, that the vast majority of blowouts happen with the inside wall of the inside (dual rear) tire on the driver side. Also, as described here, my tire ALSO had a sidewall hole about the size of a quarter. Quite a few similarities here.....

I'm thinking...this is not the fault of a tire?...but the way the roads are designed?....with the "hump" in the middle?

Anyone have any theories or knowledge?

Theory? Yep! Actual in hand data...Nope!

Many people cuss various tire brands...because of THEIR experience with "sidewall blowouts". They weigh their coaches..either axle or 4 courner...and "inflate per the makers chart". They experience a "zipper sidewall" blowout..and then cry that " But I was running the CORRECT inflation???". The "evidence" of the zipper sidewalls...says NOT!!...But...but...but?? Typical evidence of either / or...low inflation / overloading!

On the other hand...many ..??..state that the INSIDE of the rear duals takes MORE LOAD...because of crown in the highway.. ( could be..??) So if thats true...and if "4 corner weights" are so important ( and Im NOT saying they arent now)...why isnt INDIVIDUAL rear tire weights JUST AS IMPORTANT??

EXAMPLE: 20 K rear axle...loaded to 20K. In a perfect world...10K per side...5K per tire!! Inflation is set to support 5K per tire and "just a litte more"..??..! So we already know that one side is usually a bit heavier...because of the way the coach is built...so we get 4 corner weights and inflate this axles tires to THAT SIDES weight ( has to be equal across the axle)...but hang on a sec...the INSIDE tires get loaded even MORE because of the highway crown!!!!.. This ADDITIONAL "weight" may NOT even show up in even individual rear tire weighing ( I aint seen too many sets of scales..of any sort..that had a built in crown in them??? )

Moving down the highway.."rocking" back and forth..side to side...and the loads put into them because of the REAL highway...POW goes an inside tire!

Ever since my very first motorhome..Ive OVER inflated my tire.."some amount" and the ONLY coach I ever had "hard riding" because of it was on ONE of the P30 chassis coaches I owned..and once I removed the Bilstien shocks and went to Monroe gas magnums on it...that went away. And prior to changing shocks..it would beat your teeth out..

Zipper blow out...under inflated or over loaded...but people dont see the "WARNING FLAG" thrown...they just assume they got some POS tire! ( And of course there ARE some of those..for sure)

Posted By: Ramblin Hoosier on 04/23/05 06:11am

I have to agree with Jeep To Relax. When I look at the Goodyear inflation chart I see the motorhome overloaded in rear and close in front. Tires I would say need at least 80lbs.

Mike
2002 Holiday Rambler Admiral 34 SBD
2001 Honda CRV toad

Link to my old Rigs

Posted By: 03FatBoy on 08/16/06 10:53am

chastho wrote:

DaveMac wrote:

I don't like that Goodyear answer -- run the tires at 95 psi. I run my GYs, G-159, 245/70, 19.5s at 80 front and 75 duals. 95 would give me a very harsh ride! And my coach weighs in at 16,250 loaded for a trip. Maybe I'll stick with the G-159s when I buy new ones. Currently have 33,000 miles on present tires, no significant tread wear, but coming up on seven years old. Never have had a flat or any other failure and never rotated.
I was told G159's are no longer in production. I'm sure there are some out there but check DOT numbers before buying

We live in the town that's home to a Goodyear plant that happens to make the G670's and used to make the 159's. Notice the operative words there, "used to". They no longer make the 159, but I have drank an adult beverage a time or two with one of the quys that builds the G670 and this guy's attention to detail is second to NONE!
Plus he knows we have them on our MH and would tell me if there was a production issue!

Melissa & Steve (MNC USNR retired)
FMCA F335327, GS
'05 HR Ambassador 36PDD, Saturn Vue Toad
8.3L Cummins w/ 6sp Allison

Posted By: 03FatBoy on 08/16/06 10:43am

dicnic wrote:

Sumptin' funny here if you only paid $1290.00 for six (6) Goodyear G670s unless they are a teeny tiny size. Everyvody on RV.net has paid a little over 2 grand for 6 22.5 size, the 19.5s are not much cheaper. Perhaps you bought seconds? Or had someone other than a truck tire place mount them? This is the first I have ever heard of ANY problems with these tires. I have 6 and they are great. But, I only need 90 lbs of air in them. Perhaps, as the previous poster asked, they were inflated to the maximum shown on the sidewall?

My thought exactly! I paid around $2500 for the 6 we put on our last coach. We have G670's on the current coach and have not had any problems.

Posted By: TireGuy on 06/27/06 05:19pm

rrobert....what are your "loaded" corner weights?

Posted By: wilanddij on 08/16/06 01:02pm

Seems to me that running the tires at 95psi on a 32' coach is very high. The maximum recommended psi on my 32' Southwind with 245/70's is 85psi. My 4-corner weight says I can run them at 80psi, which is what I do for the duals, but I still run the steer tires at 85psi (recommended by an experienced alignment shop). BTW, have only had one problem with tires in about 10K miles - ran over a sheet rock screw & had to have a patch put in.

Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Posted By: sgau173002 on 08/03/05 08:09am

I just put 6 G670's 275/70R22.5 Load Range H on our 38 Foot Ultimate Advantage Motorhome....everything I've read on these tires indicates they should be trouble free....just keep the air pressure in them. I got rid of the Michelin 255/80R22.5 XRV tires that were on it, because of 2 side wall blow outs. I am obsessed with having the correct air pressure in my tires and even installed an air station on the motorhome because the truck stop air pressure filling stations were in various forms of disrepair across the country. (missing air chucks, missing air hoses etc) I tapped off of one of my air cylinders under the motorhome, installed a shut off incase the air hose lets loose, installed a pressure gage, and regulator, water filter etc. Now I am in air pressure heaven.

[i]Steve & Mary 1999 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 38K [green]USMC VMA-211 2nd Marine Air Wing 1971-1975[/green] [/green] Sterling Heights, MI 48314 Toad: 2003 SVT Focus (6 Speed Manual) Blue Ox Tow Bar[/i]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Posted By: Don Don on 06/28/06 03:25am

rjohn91ron wrote:

final outcome. First the motorhome weight is 5500# front and 11500# rear Total 16000#. Scale indicated Approx same. Did not have much fresh water in tank as I wanted to save gas and did not need a lot of frest water while driving. Rig was loaded with food etc (not much stuff) along with myself and passenger. Plate on door called for 65psi per tire and I put in 70psi. In the 6 years I was on the michelins that is what i used and had no problem at all.

Good year did call me after I sent them the e-mail. Had me go to the dealer where I purchased the tires to have them check the remaining 4 tires I had left out of the 6 I bought. Told me they looked ok. They called the goodyear rep and then told me they were told to replace the remaining 4 tires. They put on new tires along with the 2 I had replaced on the trip. Now I have 6 new goodyear 670'S all made in 05 on. They told me to run the tires with the max load rating of 95psi and if I did not they would not replace the tires a second time. Of course I do not know how they are going to know if I do that or not but that is what they asked me to do. Anyway I still have no idea what happened to the 2 tires that blew. I do not know if goodyear was able to get these 2 tires that blew but I feel safer hearing your comments about goodyear 670's and now have 6 brand new tires on. I guess thats the end of my saga. Thanks for your input. Ron

I just looked at the Goodyear inflation chart for your tires on there sight. At 70lb there good for 2895 on the front for a total of 5790lb. On the rear at 70lb they are good for 2720lb which is good for 10,880lb. You said you front was 5500 and thats close but I have you under inflated in the rear if you weigh 11500lb. Think you need to recheck your Numbers.

Posted By: Don Don on 06/28/06 03:28am

By the way that's www.goodyear.com/Rv/

Posted By: Don Don on 06/28/06 07:04am

rrobert wrote:

Tire Guy, I have to admit I haven't weighed the coach. I guess a trip to the scales is in order. You asked about corner weights. Are you suggesting weighing each corner separately? I have weighed front and rear before but never at each corner. How is that done? BTW- the placard in the coach shows front weight at 7,500lbs and rear at 14,500lbs with a GVWR of 22,000lbs. We were traveling very light (1/4 tank of water, minimal food, etc...)

From you pressures if you were at coach weight you only have about 100lb swing way to little. I thing you are going to find out your overweight when you hit the scale. Do it with a full tank of Gas.

Posted By: chastho on 08/03/05 10:34am

DaveMac wrote:

I was told G159's are no longer in production. I'm sure there are some out there but check DOT numbers before buying

Posted By: jerseyjim on 06/28/06 05:41am

I run my 19.5" Goodyears at 80 pounds all around.

Back in April I suffered my first blow-out, just east of El Paso. The tire repair person thinks I probably hit something. But... It seems here on the forum, that the vast majority of blowouts happen with the inside wall of the inside (dual rear) tire on the driver side. Also, as described here, my tire ALSO had a sidewall hole about the size of a quarter. Quite a few similarities here.....

I'm thinking...this is not the fault of a tire?...but the way the roads are designed?....with the "hump" in the middle?

Anyone have any theories or knowledge?

Posted By: Cousin_Eddy on 08/16/06 02:32pm

You people talk like if your tire is rated for 2800 lbs and you load it to 2801 you will have an instant blowout. Or if you ran it at 74 psi for one trip all hell is going to break loose. The engineers rate these tires with a factor of safey and they can tolerate a margin of overload and underpressure. They have to because of manufacturing variance. These failures are due to manufacturing defects....Pure and simple. You never know if your new tire will have one. It could happen with any brand to anyone. Most of these latent defects will expose itself in the first couple hundred miles. Like it or not, the consumer is the test dummy. Just hope you get good service like in this case.

1995 33' Southwind Fleetwood Model LW

Posted By: angelman on 08/16/06 01:06pm

You first stated that your rig was 5500lbs front and 11500 rear. That equals 17000 in my book. I belive your over working the "F" rated tires. Your rig should have the "G" rated tires on it. I would have gone with the 245's. This past weekend we went to hershey P.A. and I brought along a infrared temp. gun to check the tire temps. The ambient temp was 90 and the street was 119. The tires in the rear were 140 and the front were 123 degree. I run the 245/70/19.5 @ 100 psi all around. I typically drive @ 70-75 mph. My moho weighs 18,100lbs. They felt a lot hotter than they actually were. BTW the allison 1000 was 154 degree after a lot of hill climbing. Thats with transynd fluid.

Posted By: angelman on 06/27/06 05:03pm

I run my 670 19.5 @ 100 psi all round. Tires stay cool and the ride seem's very smooth. 05' and older have a max psi of 100. Starting in 06' Goodyear raised it to 110psi. Dont forget to include the tongue weight if your pulling a tow vehicle.

Posted By: rrobert on 06/28/06 06:53am

Posted By: rrobert on 08/16/06 02:26pm

BTW, before I brought the bad tires to GYs attention I did go back and have the rig weighed with everything that was in it on the trip plus a full tank of gas. I was never able to fill up on the trip since the gas pump stopped at $75.00. The steer axle was 6440 and the drive axle was 12920. The gross was 19360, well under the 22,000 lbs that the coach placard shows as Max gross at 85PSI. I didn't want to accuse GY of a bad tire if I was at fault. I'm glad I went through it all now since they did find the other bad tires.

Roger

Posted By: rrobert on 06/27/06 03:46pm

I just returned from a trip to AZ from MN. I'm running G670 245/70R 19.5 "F" rated tires on a 2004 38' Damon Challenger. I also had two blow-outs. One on the way down and one on the way home. I checked the tires before I left and they were inflated to 85 psi (max pressure on the tire and th pressure the placard indicates) The first one happened on the driver side front. The sidewall had a hole in it about the size of a quarter. DOT showed that it was manufactured in 03 (as do the rest). I took the tire to a goodyear dealer and they insisted it was road hazard damage. I bought a new one since I also didn't want to be without a spare. The second blow out (thank goodness I bought the spare)was on the driver's side inside dually. The sidewall was damaged in similar fashion to the first but a bit more elongated. Since I was only a couple hundred miles from home, I didn't replace that tire yet. I think Goodyear and I are going to have to have a discussion.

Roger Robert
Buffalo, MN

Posted By: rrobert on 08/16/06 10:47am

Here's the final outcome of my Goodyear saga. I contacted Goodyear customer service and explained that I had two blowouts on one trip and they agreed to inspect all of the other tires on my motorhome. I took the coach to a Goodyear dealer near the house and when they inspected the tires, they discovered that all of the tires but two had a thin liner and that the cord was showing through. All of the bad tires had been manufactured on 2003. The other tires had different DOT numbers. One, I assume was replaced by the previous owner and the other was the one I had replaced in AZ. Goodyear replaced all of the tires except the one that had been replaced by the previous owner. I had them replace the tire that I just put on in AZ because that tire was a G-rated and the others are all F-rated. Goodyear reimbersed me for the cost of the G-rated tire too. Bottom line, it did cost me about $150.00 for mounting, balancing etc... but I have all new tires on the ground (I put the used as a spare). I have to say I'm very pleased with Goodyear's service.

Posted By: RDL37 on 08/16/06 12:11am

I can relate to the blowout problems under discussion. I am using G670 245/70R19.5F on my 2002 36 ft motorhome. They are original tires, and have 30,000 miles of use. I check my pressure frequently with tires cold and inflate all tires to 85 psi in accordance with the manufacturers recommendation. In the last year I have blown two tires on the driver side inside dual. Both failures were the quarter sized failure on the inside sidewall that others have experienced.

In shopping for a replacement tire I find that Goodyear revised the load/pressure table for this size tire built after Feb. 28, 2006.

Does anyone know why this table was revised? A new tire requires 10 psi more pressure to carry the same load. How does one mix a new G670 tire with the older tires?

Print  |  Close