|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Doggie Daycare

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Top Dog

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking about offering petsitting in the campground when we start full timing next year. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I know I would like for someone to take my dog for a walk once or twice while we are gone for the day or just checking on him in case the a/c goes off, etc.

I would take care of them as I would my own dog and yes would have to have liability insurance. And yes, would charge a small fee for this service. I just wanted to know the pros and cons that someone else might think of that I didn't and if anyone thought there was a need in this type of service. Thanks for all your input.

* This post was edited 05/10/05 08:45am by Top Dog *

Gloria and Dillon (my Carolina Dingo)
2002 F250 Ford Diesel Crewcab
2003 3670 Montana 5th Wheel

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you planning on having a liability insurance policy to cover the dog sitting? Are you planning to charge a fee for your services?

What if something happens to the dog while in your care? The owner might expect you to pay for the vet bill or loss of the dog.

What if the dog happens to attack some other animal or bites another person while in your care. Both you and the dog owner may be liable for the situation.

campingwithlobo

Placerville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had park owners and managers offer to watch our 2 wolfdogs..People are amazed how well behaved they are..We have never taken anybody up on it because they get very upset when we drive off without them...I do think it's a great idea and that it would be better than having them locked up in your rig all day...a little walk and human companionship is good for them...

The PiƱa Family of 4
2000 F250 SD/SC PSD 7.3L Superchip 6sp manual
2006 T301BHD Forest River Sandpiper
Honda E2000i, DISH 500
1 wolfdog (Sierra)
1 Calico Cat (Tie-Dye)1 Tortoiseshell (Atumn)
http://www.freewebs.com/campingwithlobo

dlheideman

Maryville, Illinois, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we were camping in an area say Disney, or DC where you can expect to be gone for long periods of time I would be thrilled to have someone walk our girls and be willing to pay big bucks for the service.

You would have to consider some type of liability insurance if the dog would run away and get hit by a car, for instance, or be injured in a fight with another animal (wild or another dog), but I think it would be a great service depending on the area you are planning to camp. Some places would have a higher demand than others.

All in all I would welcome the service and our girls, both too friendly, would as well. You would need to become acquainted with the animal(s) the night before though, because some dogs may be territorial with someone entering their "home." Our two would let anyone in the house, the RV, the car, whatever, just so they get petted and get some attention.

We have a Class A so mostly we just drive to whatever we want to see and then potty the girls as needed. Once we are able to use the RV more though we want to get a toad set-up and then we would need sitters more.

I'd sure look into the insurance, there has to be something available because there are people that offer that service in your home while you work.

leftnoright

SO CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/05 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of books out on pet sitting. There are also a lot of pet sitting services on the internet you might want to explore. It is correct that you would have to have liability insurance. I have been exploring the idea of opening a pet sitting service when I retire.

Linda(poster)
Fred (the innocent husband)
Jordan (Shih-Poo Rescue)
Mitzi (Pom now with Rainbow Division)

DocInBird

Just Roaming

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like a viable business opportunity to me, although you would have to research a few issues. As others have noted, liability insurance is important. Would you need a separate insurance policy for each state? Would some states require a business license? How would you quarantine an aggressive dog? Or a dog in heat? Would the campground / rv park owners want a kickback? I presume that each dog's "owner" would provide you with food, meds, and feeding schedule. How would you feed each dog separately in a limited space? How would you deal with an emergency where you had to rush a dog to a vet hospital? Who cares for the other dogs while you are away?

You would also need some sort of temporary collar on which you can write the dog's name, so you can match the dog to the food / meds provided by the dogs "owners". I would also suggest a quick course in canine first aid, because "stuff happens". Splints and bandages are easy enough, but doing CPR on a dog is different than for a person. You would need to buy or fashion a breather device (usually a cut plastic soda bottle will work), but you need to know where to do the chest compressions and at what rate (it is different for most dogs than humans).

Even if your service only take Bowser for a walk and check on the AC on hot days, rather that a "doggie day care on wheels", there are liabilty issues. The liabilty insurance for this type of operation might even be more costly than if they drop the dog at your site. The dog's owners would have to entrust you with the keys to their rig, and thus the contents of the rig.

Make a few calls, check some information on the web, and figure out what your expenses would be. Then figure out what you would need to charge for your services. Factor in that you will be doing this in more than one state per year. In other words, build a business model, the same as you would for any other business.

Only then could you make an informed decision as to whether to do this or not.

--doc
I feel like I have an extra hundred pounds on my feet. Wait, I do and he snores.

robinandbob

Rossville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this Gloria asking the question? Doggie Day Care? Yes, yes, yes!

Our situation is different, we're not retired but do fulltime. I want to go back to work part time but don't want to leave Keepher in the coach all day. As far as power outages, what are you planning on doing, bringing all the dogs out while the power is out. Sure, some of us have gennys so if you were comfortable firing them up until the power came back on would be good. Or making sure you can reach the pet owners.

The reason I asked is this Gloria asking is that some dogs are sexist, they are more comfortable with one sex or the other. Mine its with women, its sometimes tough getting her to walk with my husband.

But I'd be looking for you if you're in a campground we end up in.

S. Mid. TN
98 Fleetwood Discovery 36T
4 big dogs 2 cats, Silkies and Guineas
orchids & epis

Cargie

Dutton, ON Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would so love to have someone watch out dog while I take my girls to the beach or swimming and other off-site activities. I have a pop-up trailer so leaving her on-site is a no-no. She would have to be brought to someone to be watched by them at their site. I would also pay big-bucks for this as our alternative now is to leave her at the Vet's during our entire trip, something I don't want to do. It has become a real dilemma for us. If you are at one specific campground for the summer it would be great if when people reserve their sites that they are told of this service as I would go to that campground frequently if I had a pet-sitting service offered to me there. Good luck with your business, it sounds great!

P.S. My Mom's friend supports herself full-time by taking in pets for vacationing families. She charges $15.00 cdn per day - it's a 24 hr pet-sitting not day-care.

MS2

Plap, Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would appreciate a service such as this and gladly pay for it. There are times when we can't take our furry ones with us. As others have stated, carefully research all aspects of your endeavor. One thing I would suggest is to draw up a contract of your services, what they do and do not include; what you are and are not responsible for. Make sure your client reads and understands it before signing it.

Good Luck!

Cybergrunt

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/05 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No thanks.

2001 Coachmen Catalina 248TB
5880 GVWR 3768 UVW 4980 GVW 650 Tongue weight
2013 F-150 XLT
5.0/3.55, integrated TBC, Husky WDH (round bar)
USMC (Ret.) - SEMPER FI!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Doggie Daycare
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS