Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: need new tires 8R 19.5

Posted By: dgcantrellsr on 06/08/05 04:43pm

What does the 8R 19.5 cross to in other brands , 225/70 19.5???
And what brand do you suggest? What brand gives the best bang for the buck? These Michelins don't look too good!! Matter of fact one of the best looking tires blew!

Posted By: wolfe10 on 06/08/05 05:02pm

Couple of questions:

How old are those 8R's?

Depending on rim width and suspension/body clearance the 225/70R19.5 or if room and 6.75 or 7.0" rims the 245/70R19.5.

I looked up the Michelin XZE in the 225 load range G: Max single tire load 3,970 vs 3525 for the 8R19.5 XZA. The 8R is a taller tire at 616 revolutions per mile vs 646 for the 225. If room and rim for the 245 it is 619 revolutions per mile and carrying capacity of 4949 pounds.

If you tell us what chassis you have, perhaps someone has already gone through this and can give you suggestions.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Posted By: jdcone on 06/08/05 06:11pm

Cooper's and Kelly's are 2/3 the price of Goodyear/Michilen's.

Owners of Bob the Wonder Dog, and a bunch of other useless stuff.
1999 22' Tioga class C

Posted By: FiatSpider79 on 06/08/05 07:39pm

I'm very happy with my new 8Rx19.5 Hankook Tires. Hankook is active in the truck fleets, make a high quality tire and the price is very reasonable. Very worth the check out.

Glenn

Glenn & Bev Knight
KA3KWM & N3KNF
Both Marines, Both Air Force
Emery SD (Population 436--1,500 get mail at one house)

"Each day, do just a little more than is expected of you, and very soon--
More will be expected of you
." Anon. the Retired

Posted By: ccxnola on 06/08/05 07:57pm

dg,
I have the Bridgestone 8R19.5 all around and I am very happy with their performance and reliability. I just wish I could wear them out rather than have the age cause replacement with lots of tread remaining. And a real 'plus' - you can get them at most truck tire stores!

1997 Rexhall Rolls Air - mid-entry DP w/cummins c8.3
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators
Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll !!
Click to see the Best View of our rig - That's ME, Going Away!!

Posted By: Kirk on 06/08/05 08:54pm

There are only two manufacturers who have formulated a compound specifically for use on a motorhome and those two are Good Year G670's and Michelin XRV. We have the Good Year G670 tires on our motorhome and are very happy with them. Most motorhome tires are replaced due to age since they should not be run longer than five to seven years. Good Year says the G670 should hold up for at least seven years. since tires are such an important part of safety, we chose to spend the money to bet the very best.

We believe that safety is more important than cheap.

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

Posted By: wmiles on 06/09/05 08:29am

What is this "special compound"? Why are those two brands of tires so special to motorhomes? Many companies build tires for big truck and I would like to know why these are so special when I continually read that Michelin tires had a failure on a motorhome.

Wyatt

Wyatt
2007 Prowler 250RLS
1996 F250 PSD

Posted By: grousehunter 61 on 06/09/05 10:23am

I just put " double Coin " tires on our sportcoach. We have a little over 1,000 miles on it and so far so good. These tires are backed by Les Schwab tire Co. They are 1/2 the cost of the Bridgstones we had on it and I can't tell the difference. The only down side that I am aware of it they will wear out sooner, but with tire's that age out before they ware out it dosn't matter.

Rodger

Rodger & Teri

1985 Sportcoach / crosscountry
1983 Camaro / 1971 Chevy 4x4
chessie's named sonny & choc and a red setter named star
http://sportcoach.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Shacklaw on 06/09/05 11:30am

I just bought tires and researched it all pretty extensively. I said this before in another thread, but heregoes again: IF this is a Class A, always use an ALL STEEL belted tire. Some of the cheaper tires are polyester sides and not as safe or as durable on RVs (side wall/salesman will tell you),

Watch Load Range and air pressure/capacity. Some tires might not carry your weight (need to weigh the rig, sorry) at a PSI that your wheels were designed to handle. Many older 6" wheels are only rated at 95 lbs., and max tire pressure on some tires is 110 lbs. Most manufacturers have charts on their websites to check weight vs. pressures. Make sure the tire pressure needed to carry your particular weight needs does not exceed the rims stated capacity (it's stamped on the back of the rim)

Research this site. Thousands of years of combined experience here. My research seemed to generally indicate Goodyears were tricky to balance, Michlins were high for what you got and may be prone to blowouts, Bridgestones were good workhorses, and Toyos were up and coming and highly respected. I also found alot of "off-brand" tires that were cheaper yet met all these critieria as well, but I went TOYO myself because they were reasonably priced and had a nationwide network of dealers, in case there was a problem. They've been great, although they've only gone about 3k miles.

Shop around. Once I decided on TOYO, price for 6 ranged from $1980.00 to my purchase price of $1195. installed and balanced. Saved nearly $800 being on the phone for an hour. I found RV tires are their own world, and some large chain stores can't even mount them. Be sure the shop you're dealing with REALLY knows how to do these tires, or are they just doing it to get the cash.

Anyway, hope that gave you some food for thought and helps you make an informed decision on what's best for you. And as not to get bombarded by fans of any given brand, may I say this was all just IMHO.

91 Southwind 33L

Posted By: Shacklaw on 06/09/05 11:38am

OH, and on your point, yes, the 225/70/19.5 is considered to be the eqivilent to the 8R19.5 by most tire companys/salesman, but as has been pointed out, it is only about 31" tall and slightly wider vs. the 33" tall 8R19.5. I thought it best to stay with the taller tire for ratio/speedo/computer stuff since the old gal was designed that way, but I don't think it's a critical consideration.

Posted By: The Executive on 06/09/05 12:41pm

As was noted, the 225/ is considered the replacement but it is smaller in daimeter and your cruse RPM's will go up.

The Bridgstone 8R's are a good tire but they are pretty narrow.

If you have 6" wide, the 225 or 8R are the best however, I did have 245/70 Toyos on my front 6" wide and they seemed OK.

If you have over 6", the 245 are darn near the same size and wider for more stability. If you have duals, check to see if theres room to mount them without the sidewalls running between tires.

The Hanook's, Doublecoin, Otshu are asian truck tires which have a good reputation for quality and durability.

I decided to stay with the 8R19.5 and bought the Goodyear G647RSS (they no longer make the RSA) these replaced the G159's.
These are the tires for FedEx delivery trucks are are suppose to have good scrub resistance. Goodyear also markets the G670RV tire which would not fit on my 6" rims. Goodyear loads their tires with anti-uV compounds so they're suppose to last 7-10 years without sidewall rotting. I got the goodyears for around $210/ea. I am very happy with them.

1988 Executive Prestige DP 35'
5.9 Cummins, Allison-545 w/GearVendor OD, Chevy P30 chassis w/Ridewell air suspension and Dexter Tag axle.
Toad= 05 Harley FLSTCI hauled in 5.5x9' enclosed trailer.
Our Motorhome
KR6C-Webpage

Print  |  Close