RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Forum Technical Support: Screen resolution for pictures in text

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Screen resolution for pictures in text

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason for this post is an increasing number of oversize pictures posted in text that forces side-scrolling particularly for 800x600 or smaller screen resolution viewers.

It is not yet a rule but the pictures posted within text should not exceed 640 pixel width, 480 pixel height or 100kb file size wherever possible. This is so that you do not handicap dial-up, cellphone users and those with smaller displays.

Monitors offer a variety of screen resolutions, i.e., 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x600, etc. up to 2048x1536. You can find yours by right clicking on an open area of your desktop, select Properties, then Settings and it will be a slider at the bottom left. An alternate route to this is Display in the Control Panel.

The higher the number of pixels, the more information can be displayed on the screen but the smaller those items will appear. That will reduce the font size as well which can be adjusted in the browser under View and Text size from Smallest to Largest. You can also adjust the font size at the bottom right of all pages in this forum.

A critical problem exists for viewers with smaller resolutions in that an oversize picture forces extra screen width which also forces scrolling to read the text.

If the picture to be posted exceeds 640 pixels width, it can be resized by simply entering the number 640 in the width box of the Picture Editor. The height will automatically adjust proportionately. Here's an example:
[image]
On the same token, if the picture exceeds 480 pixels in height, entering 480 in the Height box will reduce the width proportionately.

Another increasing problem are pictures that exceed the 100kb file size. The end result of this is a very slow loading picture particularly again for dial-up and cellphone users. Unfortunately, reducing the pixel size does not reduce the file size - that can only be done before it is uploaded to a picture host website. If in doubt, right click on the enlargement, select Properties and read the Size that will be a 5-6 digit number of "bytes". For example, "Size 134560" would be 134,560 thousand bytes or 135kb.

If at any time you need any assistance with posting pictures, feel free to contact Tom (pulsar) or I by private message.

Dick M.

* This post was edited 11/24/07 01:20pm by RVSnowbird *

bruuuuce

Potosi, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just went back and edited one of my recent posts where I posted a floor plan gif for someone. I guess sometimes I forget that my computer here at work runs a high resolution and what might look okay here might not on an 800*600 screen.

========================================
2007 Flagstaff 831 FKSS
2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
2006 Can-Am 800 MAX

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you bruuuuce. One thing I left out of the above is that it only takes one oversize picture to force sid-scrolling on all posts on a page.

Speaking as one of those using the 800x600 resolution, I do thank you! [emoticon]

Dick M.

Duuserdog

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you! I also went and fixed one of the graphics I posted in a rally that showed the campsite assignments. This worked great AND no more side to side scrolling necessary!

Jill
37' 2001 Beaver Patriot
Retirement Rocks!

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you too Duuserdog as you brought up a procedure for changing the width of a picture without starting over again. I used the URL of the picture editor above for this example. In Edit, look for the picture thread such as this: [img ]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgDBAtgbOfMwiEIQ1EunDWo*A3s1U!Kr! nJ7ZmYWbfdBiiQGprKpQUWlhz1X8tnsDkmkkYS61TN*2Nz3pQRGPvC2alAr59Aj5oU3M4 LiuprI*dWwIDaTRzsWDJjNwgE/InsertPictureEditor.gifdc=4675524301231581482[/img ]". It doesn't matter how long that thread is or how it ends but simply add "width=640" before the "[/img ]. Dick M.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

DavidG

Richland, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post DickM! [emoticon]
I too am a 800x600 "user". My eyes have never been the greatest, and I don't like squinting at the small stuff on the screen.
I'm surprised you didn't mention that great Irfanview tool you led some of us to in a previous post about reducing image and file sizes. (Can't seem to find it myself right now, otherwise I'd post it for you[emoticon] )
Oh, and how about the thread about "how to make an image clickable"? Great stuff!

2003 Suburban K2500LT 4WD, 8.1L, 3.73
2008 Adirondack 31RK-DSL
Our blog

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

both RVForever and I have done several tutorials using IrfanView David G and my latest is a "sticky" at the top of this forum at Resized, Panorama and multiple picture signatures. Even though it is primarily for signatures, the procedures apply to all pictures as well. The IrfanView website link is there to download it.

And I'm sorry but "click to enlarge" is not available at least for the time being but I'm still holding out for it. In many ways, that alone will cut down on oversize pictures as quite frankly, some really are best viewed in their full size.

Dick M.

DavidG

Richland, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate to disagree with the all-knowing master of the forum, but...

Click on the small image below to see the full sized version...
[image]

The code looks like this (minus a couple of spaces)...
[url= http://home.earthlink.net/~davidgroesbeck/images/photo1.jpg][img ]http://home.earthlink.net/~davidgroesbeck/images/photo1.jpg width=100[/img ][/url ]

Of course you can make the height or width whatever seema appropriate.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

interesting David. The script is very much like the one I used to do so maybe it has been added again. I'll experiment with it and pass it on.
you get three [emoticon][emoticon][emoticon] for that tip old buddy!

Dick

DavidG

Richland, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, watch who you're calling "old" there old buddy! [emoticon]
I think it is the same as what you posted before, and it seems to still work, or at least it does now. Don't know if was ever "broke" or not.
I tend to keep those techie tid-bits that work real nice.[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Screen resolution for pictures in text
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS