|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Installing Car Stereo In A Pop Up Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dufus99

Mustang, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased a 1999 Jayco Eagle 12 pop-up from some relatives in MI who are going through a divorce. I put (installed myself) in a Carrier V AC unit (too hot in OK not to have one), and an omni directional TV antennae. I have a car stereo I want to install in the camper but I'm not sure about what to do about power, where to install it and where to put the speakers (2) round. Does anyone have any advice or experience doing this? I've been to RV shows and know that they do this. I just don't want to fry the stereo or burn down the camper. Any suggestions or has anyone done this?

Dufus

1999 Jayco Eagle 12 UDK
2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4 Limited (See Picture)
Wife
2 Boys 11/12
Big Dog who camps
Little Dog (Brat Terrier) who doesn't-psychotic

Le sens commun n'est pas si commun (Common sense is not so common) Voltaire

Dufus99

Mustang, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dufus99 wrote:

I just purchased a 1999 Jayco Eagle 12 pop-up from some relatives in MI who are going through a divorce. I put (installed myself) in a Carrier V AC unit (too hot in OK not to have one), and an omni directional TV antennae. I have a car stereo I want to install in the camper but I'm not sure about what to do about power, where to install it and where to put the speakers (2) round. Does anyone have any advice or experience doing this? I've been to RV shows and know that they do this. I just don't want to fry the stereo or burn down the camper. Any suggestions or has anyone done this?

Dufus

bruuuuce

Potosi, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when running the 12 volts back to the battery or a power block make sure it is fused. You wouldn't want the radio under a water source. Becareful when drilling through side walls so you don't punture gas, water or electric.

========================================
2007 Flagstaff 831 FKSS
2006 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
2006 Can-Am 800 MAX

FloridaNative

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wire the stereo to the 12v, except for the "always on" line. Hook up a throwaway 9v battery to that line. It will keep your time and station presets without relying on the camper battery to be hooked up.

-Mike

2007 Toyota Sienna
2006 Cikira 16CC

MyWifeThinksImNuts

Telford, Pa. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say that the A/C and the antenna are bigger, more complex projects than installing a stereo. I found it rather easy, possibly easier than changing one in today's cars. All you need to find in 12v positive and ground. If in doubt run straight to the battery, and don't forget to fuse it!! And place the speakers wherever they will physically fit. If I had to do it over again I would only have installed 2 inside the camper and made allowances for some possible removable outside speakers to be controlled by fading front to back on the radio.....just a thought.

Yours Truely
My Better Half
1 little camper
'06 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
'03 Layton Scout 294
Reese Dual Cam HP Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

chkster

Antioch,Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/05 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen them mounted near the door and use the wire for the outdoor light used as a source of 12V..
I would venture to say that if the speakers are thin enough one could mount them in the roof or another idea is simply on the outside of a storage compartment at shin level (easier wiring perhaps). Or simply go to Radio Shack and buy two boxes and mount them in there and make the speakers mobile, garage or pop up. Many options.

Welcome to California...now go home!

SIGMA NU
2005 GMC Sierra Ext. cab 5.3L 3.73
2004 Coachman Clipper Classic 1070ST
Chkster and Hapekampr A.K.A
Charles and Cheryl
:-D

Dufus99

Mustang, OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/05 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can do pretty much anything with all 12v or all 110 as long as I have instructions. The AC came with instructions and a dedicated plug-in and breaker in the trailer. It was just a matter of hooking up a power supply cord to the AC. Not unlike wiring a home ceiling fan or such. I have also installed car stereos- all 12v. I am just a little confused about power converters and I don't have a battery in the trailer. Should I have one and where in the heck would I wire that into or is it already wired for it? Another problem. The idea about the 9v inline battery makes sense and a darn good idea. How and where though? If I wasn't so cheap I would take it to a dealer and have them do it. As usual, I know enough to be dangerous but I want it right. The speakers I can deal with. Cutting a couple of holes and running some wire or using the portable speakers is another great idea. My problem is that the power converter is in the front of the trailer and the breaker/fuse box is in the back. Where do I splice in the stereo?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Installing Car Stereo In A Pop Up Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS